E46: Door Rubber

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

romeo_v12

Club Guest
Hi All,I was cleaning my front passenger carpet and lifted it and noticed a damp patch( quite wet actually). Traced it back to the top portion of the door rubber lining (the part thats on the door and not on the car). It seemed a little flat and soft and there were light water marks showing some dripping that flows to the door panel and then to the floor.The funny thing is that the mat doesnt get wet, the water seems to escape the mat and collect on the actual carpet. So if I didnt lift the mat to dust it, I would NOT have seen it.Car wash jet and heavy KL rains seem to cause the leaks. Nothing during drizzles.Here I am with a 5 year old RM265K(when new) and I have water leakage problems. What a joke. My dads Mercedes has been water tight for 26 years. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me boys!Frustrated Romeo :(

Originally posted by romeo_v12@Jan 7 2006, 01:27 PM
Hi All,

I was cleaning my front passenger carpet and lifted it and noticed a damp patch( quite wet actually). Traced it back to the top portion of the door rubber lining (the part thats on the door and not on the car). It seemed a little flat and soft and there were light water marks showing some dripping that flows to the door panel and then to the floor.

The funny thing is that the mat doesnt get wet, the water seems to escape the mat and collect on the actual carpet. So if I didnt lift the mat to dust it, I would NOT have seen it.

Car wash jet and heavy KL rains seem to cause the leaks. Nothing during drizzles.

Here I am with a 5 year old RM265K(when new) and I have water leakage problems. What a joke.

My dads Mercedes has been water tight for 26 years. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me boys!

Frustrated Romeo

:(

ha ha...shud change your nick to "frustrated romeo"...

wonder how much the door lining rubber and any special fitting method??

Hello Romeo,
Like you metioned, its coming to 5 yrs ... (can't compare to the older generation cars man... my opinion, they were built for LONG TERM USAGE... not nowadys... ALL WANNA MAKE mooooNiiiesss)

.. pretty normal actually thats what i heard and saw (E46)...
.... guess its time for ya to change the rubber panel "a full piece" .. (for E46..may cost between 200-300bucks .. including installation).
Probably cracked somewhere along the rubber panel (which it is not mend to be).. water will leak wherever dude.. worst case like yours i presume it flows exactly beneath/under the door which leads to your carpet..

My case (my E36) previously ... the same, worse.. carpet, mat and seat MANNN !! ... after changed.. COOL... no issue.. :)

My front passenger wheel well had this symptom from day 1 of delivery of the car. Usually happens only when it rains heavilly. Took it back to AB and they fixed it completely. Its a common problem with CKD E46's only. They should be able to resolve it since its a common prob.

Good luck!

romeo,

i would suppose this is a rubber part problem and it happens to any car. sometimes, its just the rubber lining popped out of its place. quickly get it rectified otherwise you'd be driving an aquarium.

in some makes, sometimes it originates from the rear. when my satria (1st car ... cheh) got bumped slightly at the rear, i tot nothing wrong. turned out there was a puny little leak at the rear light. man! din know until i felt my whole carpet was damp. too late.

had to dry them out.

should be small matter. small matter but quite big consequences

Thank you gents,

Will change rubber lining during next service in 2 weeks time. If its gotta be done, its gotta be done I guess.

Thanks again.

Romeo

Your topic has been towed to the appropriate section, in the future please refer to the main forum page for guidance.
There will be a link from the original place of posting leading to the new place (This states the approriatete place).
If this thread is a tech question and if you are not sure which catergory to post under, please post under general tech.
If this thread is a 'FS or WTB' then post in the classifieds.

Thank You

-The Moderator

my is E46 yr 2000 is also having the same problem especially after washing it. But sometime it leaks and sometime it doesn't. Will live with it first till it gets worst !

i dunno if this helps- check the besi lining outside...it runs from the a pilliar right to the back..., sometimes it moves forward out of its orig position, u can notice air sounds also if this happens. just tolak it back- viola! costs nuthin.. good luck

Originally posted by guru@Jan 22 2006, 04:04 AM
i dunno if this helps- check the besi lining outside...it runs from the a pilliar right to the back..., sometimes it moves forward out of its orig position, u can notice air sounds also if this happens. just tolak it back- viola! costs nuthin.. good luck
same thing here....

romeo, not sure if u had resolved the water leak problem. wateva u do, pls DO IT quick.

since u mentioned the co-driver's floor mat is bit wet after heavy rain/car wash / puddle of water, it wld b costly to know dat yer computer box (ECU) might get affected later. best wishes.

rgds, B)
kahar abdullah

Top Bottom