E46 ATF change... Have you or have you Not?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

scin

Club Guest
Since there has been a neverending debate on whether to change or not to change, I think all E46 owners should participate in this poll. I am also in deliberation status concerning this issue and would like an official count. Please feel free to include details....ie where and how much and what ATF you used and car mileage..Cheers!

Just did mine yesterday. You can read my report posted in the e46 Maintainence section.

Voted.
I'd like to see the results of this poll too.

Yes... come on all E46 owners.... lets see what the numbers have to say!
Okow, that was a good report, but you did not mention the type of ATF you used....

I had reservations about this after being advised I shouldn't have changed my transmission fluid. However, it's been 3 months plus and the transmission has been pretty good. I noticed after the change, the gear shifts were more seamless like brand new and slight hesitations had disappeared. I guess my well-experienced mechanic had a point i.e. nothing is absolutely "lifetime" and lifetime in Europe could mean less than 5 years. Still touching wood!

hi

i'm new in the club. before my current 325, i was driving a 328 yr 2000 e46. at 90k kilometres, at uphill climbs, when i put very little acceleration, my gear starts to 'wok-wok-wok'! like a dying goose.

FYI, I clock about 35k kilometres a year. I was 2 years plus at that time.

AB told me to change the whole gear! Of course I flipped. who wouldn't at RM13k pricetag minimum?!

Went to Heritage to change my gear oil. last draw before i part with 13k or my whole UDM ( before my gear dies of this deadly virus it contracted )

told to whack the car a couple of kilometres. (not that i was not doing that! hehehe) no difference

BUT ... after 2 days. ... gone. My gear was as good as brand new!

It turns out, the way i drove my UDM, my gear oil thicken very fast. small holes in my valve body was plagued by by dirty oil much the same as cholestrol does to our veins.

pretty sure if i didn't change the oil, one ar more of the veins would ultimately get blocked and my gear would fail like a heart attack. AB would have loved that to happen.

Bear in mind that this problem will not show on the MODIC as it is physical, not electrical.

hope this would help my fellow UDM owners. our UDMs are just as much like us - it is just a normal human being, physically and emotionally

p/s cant say the same about my read differential gear. the freeplay was so bad at 175k kilometres that no oil change would do. I had to pass on down my UDM to a good samaritan (the used car) to help me pass down to another poor soul!

I hope he doesn't find me or know who i am!! fingers crossed!

Top Bottom