e46 325i camber settings?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vobs

Club Guest
Hi guys, I realised that both my bottom front wheels are kinda slanting outwards, is it normal? or i have to readjust camber to make it straight. currently on bilstein and lowered. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken E46 front camber is non-adjustable. You'll need to get aftermarket adjustable camber plates if you want to change it.

If the front absorbers are not adjustable, pls do toe adjustment to toe in 0.02. Rear camber to -1.38 with toe in 0.08

btw vobs, is there any sign of uneven wear on the front tyres..

Mine have the inner side wear off faster than the outer. I have send it for alignment and the shop have to used a hydraulic jack to pump it back to the correct setting. i am afraid that it might damaged my suspension during this work.

jarance;389634 said:
btw vobs, is there any sign of uneven wear on the front tyres..

Mine have the inner side wear off faster than the outer. I have send it for alignment and the shop have to used a hydraulic jack to pump it back to the correct setting. i am afraid that it might damaged my suspension during this work.

Was the inner wear caused by excessive camber due to lowering your car? Or was it other factors?

Went to few tyre shops and ask some bmw mechs.....all i can sum up is:-

1) YES, its non adjustable for e46 front camber, but on top of the mounting there are space to adjust by abit if you unscrew it. though it wont help much but its better than nothing

2) its meant to be slanted especially lowered, the only thing can do is rotate ur tyre every 6 months to even it out. just make sure u check as my previous tyres got cracks and holes due to excessive wear in the inner part. (verified by bmw mechs)

3) Third, dont go to che kai tyre shop, go to professional type, its better to be expensive than given the wrong info.....first shop in klang say my lower arm spoil thats why slanted front...second shop in oug famous one check ok ma the lower arm, still new....so go figure.

For point No.1, wouldn't it be dangerous since you'll be loosening the screws that are holding your top mount tightly in place?

Unfortunately for us we can only adjust the camber by getting aftermarket adjustable camber kits. Lucky the rear is adjustable and don't require aftermarket stuff.

For point one - hehe, i forgot to state that it have to be tighten back so that it holds. once its tighten, it will not move unless your car is doing some jackie chan stunts flying from land to boat thingy:)

Aftermarket stuff? hmmm i didnt know there are any......where can we get those stuff and how much will it be? Thanks

There's a few notable brands out there you can have a look at like SPC, K-Mac and KsportUsa. I got my SPC locally from Tyrezone in Taman Megah for around RM1500 with installation etc (for E36).

Not sure where to get K-Mac but I'm sure if you ask around some of the forumers will help you out with that.

loafer;389737 said:
Was the inner wear caused by excessive camber due to lowering your car? Or was it other factors?

No, Mine is factory fitted (M-sport version)..

Problem is that the alignment shop is using a "old" machine as the model selection is up year 02 and also no M-sport version..

Anybody know the correct chamber setting.. I know mine is out due to the uneven wear on the tyres.

there're no 'correct' camber settings, so to speak.

the factory settings are based on stock suspension, so if you lower your car, the negative camber will change (increase).

it's a trade off - the more negative camber you have, the more stable the car is, especially during cornering. but the inner shoulder of the tyre will wear out faster.

stock camber is about -0.5 to -1 deg front and rear.

for track, it can go up to -3 deg front and -2 deg rear.

Well said:) most mech also say that....i guess its normal la:) thanks for all the replies:) I can sleep well now hehe

If I not mistaken...there's no camber for E46 and above. If need to change need to change the whole set. Attached on the top of the absorber. If you go to do alignment..if they said need to fix the camber and charge you RM 80 for one side just go out from the shop. They are cheating you. I had experience this before at one of the tyre shop at USJ near to BENZONE. Some tyre shop take advantage of BMW owner.

change the whole set? what set bro, mind elaborate, thanks in advance:)

Yeah, ive done that already, no significant change but its better than nothing. Thanks:)

Since alot of people and owners of bmw said E46 camber are meant to be like that, i guess i just have to leave it to it and rotate tyres more often hehehe...unless others have better opinions that works!

I actually heard that there are camber kits for E46....basically mounting an adjustable kit on the top of the absorber mount, with 3-4 degree of adjustability....is that true? where can i get em, and how much is the price range like? thanks sifus

Is it possible to use camber screw? My JDM front left tyre is good but serious outer wear on the front right, non adjustable camber too, so went to tyre shop and install camber screw at the right and bring it back to whatever the front left camber is having since the wear is even.

There may be original factory recommended camber measurement but driver's driving attitude is equally crucial. I know one member using front camber -1.75 because the car too front heavy and understeer pretty badly.

Always monitor your tyre wear and make sure u r using the "personally right" camber setting.

BTW, heavy negative camber may correct an understeer situation but your top speed and pick up will suffer.. so a balance car is still the most critical factor.

My E90 4-potter factory setting, rear left camber is -1.0, rear right is on -0.5, the -1.0 is suffering severe inner tyre wear while the -0.5 is pretty balance. Now I know why my car is struggling after 200kph.. :p

So Sifus, can e46 put camber screw? dont think so from what I heard la, but maybe someone have real life experience for their E46. Thanks:)

recently got to know that my front have way too much negative....about -2.5......

Dear sifus, anyone know how to fix it back to normal. Tenk u!

Need help

Top Bottom