E39 Spring Changed~~ But Now Left 10mm Higher Than Right~~

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

James Chun

Club Guest
Dear All, My Car Front Left Is 10mm Higher Than The Front Right Now After Springs & Absorber Changed~~ I Replaced My Lower Sport Spring With Original 528i Springs & Absorber. When I Press Brake, I Can Feel My Steering Is Vibrate Like Hell At 110km /h ~~~ Strange This Happen At 110km/h Only~~~ Alamak! Any Idea?? I Already Replaced The SubFrame & Suspension Bushings~~~Alignment Done~~

affan66;335291 said:
maybe the spring is not seated properly in the rubber guides.

very high possibilty...

dont see anything else not right ....is there any wierd noise

Thanks For All Your Reply...

No Weird Noise~~~

I Feel Regret To Replace My Sport Spring To The Original " Softer" Spring~~~ As Cornering Not That Superb Compare To Last Time~~~But Last Time I Always Hit The Ramp Everytime I Passed By ~~~

Well, One Stone Can't Kill Two Birds~~~ I Am In Dillema Situation Now~~~

Did you check with your mechanic if the bump stops/rubber guides he used is the right specs?

Same thing happened to someone recently but I just can't recall who it was already. Apparently the mechanic used the wrong bump stops/rubber guides on one side and that made his car higher there.

James Chun;335161 said:
Dear All,

My Car Front Left Is 10mm Higher Than The Front Right Now After Springs & Absorber Changed~~ I Replaced My Lower Sport Spring With Original 528i Springs & Absorber.

When I Press Brake, I Can Feel My Steering Is Vibrate Like Hell At 110km /h ~~~ Strange This Happen At 110km/h Only~~~ Alamak!

Any Idea??

I Already Replaced The SubFrame & Suspension Bushings~~~Alignment Done~~

Hey James

All BMWs are a little higher on the right side. This is how the car is built. The body is meant for left hand drive, In europe the cars are left hand drive and the right is lower than the left. When the driver sits in the car, it levels. I had the same problem after changing my springs and Absorbers on my E36 and my E39. I even measured the spring and the struts they are the same height but when fitted it is lop side. BMWs are built that way and it does not effect the handling at all what so ever. newly changed absorbers will be very obvious after sometime it is hardly noticeable. Even the new E90s and the E60s have that problem. the only way to know is to look carefully or measure with your fingers.

No matter what you do, What you remove or what you add the car will still be that way. unless you cut off one coil on your left side.

I spoke to the MD of BMW Malaysia (Mathaias) during the Grand TT in Sunway and he confirmed it.

Well 10mm is a little too much.

I concurred with Loader as my e36 had the same problem and it was the bump stop that causes the problem. For the e36, there are two types of bump stop and that will cause a different ride height.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

bimmer73;335637 said:
Hey James

All BMWs are a little higher on the right side. This is how the car is built. The body is meant for left hand drive, In europe the cars are left hand drive and the right is lower than the left. When the driver sits in the car, it levels. I had the same problem after changing my springs and Absorbers on my E36 and my E39. I even measured the spring and the struts they are the same height but when fitted it is lop side. BMWs are built that way and it does not effect the handling at all what so ever. newly changed absorbers will be very obvious after sometime it is hardly noticeable. Even the new E90s and the E60s have that problem. the only way to know is to look carefully or measure with your fingers.

No matter what you do, What you remove or what you add the car will still be that way. unless you cut off one coil on your left side.

I spoke to the MD of BMW Malaysia (Mathaias) during the Grand TT in Sunway and he confirmed it.

Brother, Now Is Left 10 mm Higher Than The Right, Not Right 10mm Higher Than The Left~~~~

Did you check your absorber marking is aligned with the strut carried clamp bolt bracket? There's a decal marked R and L on the absorber, which u can see behind the disc brake with the car jacked up. Left side absorber must align letter L with the centerline of the clamp on the left hand side of the car and vise versa. Why? I don't know and I'm still trying to figure it out as well. Like this:
sachs1.jpg

Second thing is to make sure your springs are resting on the indent of the spring lower cup. Some get this wrong as well. See below:

sachs2.jpg

If you are going to do all this, let me know the results.

finally, the man has spoken... now i know why ....

good info wc9922...

ALBundy;335641 said:
Well 10mm is a little too much.

I concurred with Loader as my e36 had the same problem and it was the bump stop that causes the problem. For the e36, there are two types of bump stop and that will cause a different ride height.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

LOL now i remember! It was you who mentioned it to me the other time. I was scratching my head trying to recall who mentioned it the last time.

pussy;335709 said:
finally, the man has spoken... now i know why ....

good info wc9922...

Bro,

it's good to share the info with the rest of my E39 mates. Kalau boleh tolong, tolong lah... but sometimes I hope to get some info also .................

It seems the E39 section always talk about 2 things only nowadays: absorbers and tires. Got to find closure to this topic and find something more fun to talk about.

wc9922, like ICE? :D

I think we wouldn't have these issues if blardy ZF just brings in the right shockers....

James Chun;335693 said:
Brother, Now Is Left 10 mm Higher Than The Right, Not Right 10mm Higher Than The Left~~~~

Sorry Bro

What i meant to say was All BMWs are a little higher on the left side not rights.

hi Bimmer73 and James

confuse.. which one is the higher? the right or the left suspension?
my e39 is sengit to the driver side..the driver side is lower that passenger side.. is't normal or i need to change the suspension or the spring..

does anybody can suggest any mechanic around gombak, ulu klang, ampang area?

thanks..

aeriez;337820 said:
hi Bimmer73 and James

confuse.. which one is the higher? the right or the left suspension?
my e39 is sengit to the driver side..the driver side is lower that passenger side.. is't normal or i need to change the suspension or the spring..

does anybody can suggest any mechanic around gombak, ulu klang, ampang area?

thanks..

Right side should be lower than the left. half a finger

Same with me oso both my E36 & E39 left is higher than right after lowering the car with sport spring. Even with Bilstein B8 sport oso same:stupid:

Top Bottom