E39 Rear Axle and Rear Differential's difference

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jsng

Club Guest
Hi Sifus ..Need some help ..Is there any difference between Rear Axle and Rear Differential?Or a rear differential is generally being termed as Rear axle with both left and right axle connecting to it?View attachment 29737BTW .. how frequent do we need to replace the Rear Differential Oil? Any symptom that indicate the need to replace it? like vibration? sound?Thanks ..Regards,JS

I normally change it together when i do my automatic gearbox oil change around 30-40K km. This is advised by my mechanic and others as well.

What I understand:
Rear axle refers to the assembly that consists of rear differential and other related connected components.
Rear Differential is as what your picture shows. The differential is designed to drive a pair of wheels while allowing them to rotate at different speeds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanical_device%29

Are you having any problems to your Rear differential?

Thanks Psykit ..

I dun think there is anything wrong with the Rear Diff .. just that i am curious on how frequent we should change the Rear Diff oil. Cause i did come across some article about Rear Axle, Rear Diff .. and it seems like talking about the same thing.

Anyway, i had just changed it during my regular service last week :)

Psykit;818056 said:
I normally change it together when i do my automatic gearbox oil change around 30-40K km. This is advised by my mechanic and others as well.

What I understand:
Rear axle refers to the assembly that consists of rear differential and other related connected components.
Rear Differential is as what your picture shows. The differential is designed to drive a pair of wheels while allowing them to rotate at different speeds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanical_device%29

Are you having any problems to your Rear differential?

Top Bottom