e39 heat shield

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Well designed. I wonder if we could get the reference design from your friend to fabricate it?

bro moots
May i know, where is your friend got that aluminium sheet from.

neatly done, but like bro lim questioned does it really shield the heat. depends on materials, some metals are more conducive than resistive.

errr... I thought heat is transfer either by convection, conduction and radiation. correct me if I am wrong.

the heat shield have reduce the heat transfer via radiation just like a shade but may increase the heat via conduction.

Imagine standing in a sealed room made of zinc roof and wall and under the hot sun. (hot box)

worried the headers will melt coz too hot..no ventilation and heat accumulation..maybe just maybe...

protecting the module itself is sufficient i guess, use material something like being used in the roof - aluminium + foam

jarance;807475 said:
errr... I thought heat is transfer either by convection, conduction and radiation. correct me if I am wrong.

the heat shield have reduce the heat transfer via radiation just like a shade but may increase the heat via conduction.

Imagine standing in a sealed room made of zinc roof and wall and under the hot sun. (hot box)
my layman thought, the amount of heat is same but the amount of heat radiating towards the ABS module is lessened because it is blocked by the heat shield. bigger portion will reflected back.

Maybe something made of insulators will help. Any suggestion of insulator materials to use as heat shield for the ABS module?

this shield was custom made and a once off thingy.after looking at my homemade shield he told his mech to do this and the result is as such.me thinks this will not do a 100% job of protecting the abs module.it is mounted via the vlv cover hold down bolts and this could lead to oil leaks and the leak(if any) will not be noticeable as it is hidden by the shield.me also thinks the best way to protect is to wrap the whole module in black 'foam like' material like one of our forummer here has done (can't remember who).

That heatshield that is shown is modified. It does not come in that way originally.

Psykit;807575 said:
Maybe something made of insulators will help. Any suggestion of insulator materials to use as heat shield for the ABS module?

Actually just a simple metal plate will do but need some tricky method. As what i done is, i never fully covered my ABS module. I just only use metal plate to prevent hot air direct heating the ABS module while driving the car. And it never cover front and the back of ABS module, this is because need to let cold air to flow into it.

Though it may be a good ABS module heat shield, a potential problem from this design is that it traps engine heat and reduce/deflect air flow to that part of the engine.

BMW520;807715 said:
i saw some e39 equip with this shield & same material too. Mine is similar like this... i thought is stock equipmnent

View attachment 28976

Yes the shield is a stock item but it only shileds the sidewall towards the tyre and does not cover the ABS module.

Top Bottom