E39 Flywheel Oil Seal

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerholic

Club Guest
Guys, anyone has replaced their flywheel oil seal before? I read somewhere that there are 2 types of flywheel oil seal. The Original factory fitted and also OEM one that has better build & quality compared to original.Can someone confirm this please. And what's the labour charges to carry out this work?Thanks. This is just my opinion....when comes to internal parts of engine or trans such as oil seals and such, wouldn't be safer for let the mech buy these parts and fit it for you? Reason being is that, should it leak after sometime of drive, can always go back and tiu kau the mech and he may replace it with another one free of labour charge (or so i really really hope). If you were to buy the part and it leaks thereafter, the mech may say your part is faulty so you tanggung the labour once more. Kapak twice.But of course la in scenario 1, the mech would have "pau-ed" extra 20-30% labour with parts at the first time itself. This is a buffer for them should they need to carry out the same job twice. But if they don't they untung ler.

bimmerholic;499566 said:
Guys, anyone has replaced their flywheel oil seal before? I read somewhere that there are 2 types of flywheel oil seal. The Original factory fitted and also OEM one that has better build & quality compared to original.
Can someone confirm this please.

And what's the labour charges to carry out this work?
Thanks.

This is just my opinion....when comes to internal parts of engine or trans such as oil seals and such, wouldn't be safer for let the mech buy these parts and fit it for you? Reason being is that, should it leak after sometime of drive, can always go back and tiu kau the mech and he may replace it with another one free of labour charge (or so i really really hope).

If you were to buy the part and it leaks thereafter, the mech may say your part is faulty so you tanggung the labour once more. Kapak twice.

But of course la in scenario 1, the mech would have "pau-ed" extra 20-30% labour with parts at the first time itself. This is a buffer for them should they need to carry out the same job twice. But if they don't they untung ler.

Good mechanics normally don't think about doing the same thing twice. I think the flywheel oil seal you better let the mechanic decide if he knows the issues with it. I remember there is something different about the tension spring ring comes with the replacement seal. The one with the tighter spring ring seals better than the other and it's less prone to leak.if I remember correctly.

Yes i know i recall about the spring ring seal. You're right one of the OEM ones are has tighter seal than ori ones thus preventing leak. Will confirm with my mech tmr what he suggests. Either way, i think letting the mech handle internal parts replacement is a safer bet. Thanks mate.

Bro, i have mine changed recently, cost me RM155 without the labour. OEM parts. Dont know how much for the labour as i was doing other stuff as well.

So far i've got 2 diff mechs quoting RM400 (labour alone) just to get this flywheel oil seal replaced. DAMN! Anyone else has much cheaper leads perhaps...care to advise?

the flywheel oil seal is very difficult to get onto. You have to drop the gearbox or engine to remove the oil seal. It is about a day job as well. If you wish to do the flywheel oil seal, make sure you also change the oil sump gasket as it involves the same amount of work.

dvng;500321 said:
the flywheel oil seal is very difficult to get onto. You have to drop the gearbox or engine to remove the oil seal. It is about a day job as well. If you wish to do the flywheel oil seal, make sure you also change the oil sump gasket as it involves the same amount of work.

Yes i realise that. Don't have to drop the engine but just the tranny will do to gain access for the oil seal. My oil sump gasket have stains over it so it must be leaking but not serious. I guess i'll wait for my next oil change to do both the oil sump gasket and flywheel oil seal.

dvng;500321 said:

bro, what if the leaking is only the Oil Sump gasket? Is there a need to chance the Flywheel oil seal as well when replacing the oil sump gasket? Any idea how much the labour charge? tq

BMW2007;500692 said:
bro, what if the leaking is only the Oil Sump gasket? Is there a need to chance the Flywheel oil seal as well when replacing the oil sump gasket? Any idea how much the labour charge? tq

No they both are different items and can be replaced irrespective of the other. Labour's 400 for flywheel oil seal replacement.

bimmerholic;500895 said:
No they both are different items and can be replaced irrespective of the other. Labour's 400 for flywheel oil seal replacement.

thanks, bro. Ok, i will change the oil sump gasket as i got the oil leaking only from the oil sump.. save $$ from the flywheel. Not sure how much the "standard or normal" labour cost for replacing the oil sump gasket as it needs a lot of work to get it done ~2.days.

Most of the time, the seals for this these two items will leak simultaneously. Once you have changed whether the flywheel or the oil sump the oil pressure in the engine will increase hence leak will appear again in a different area. Believe me, i have paid twice for labour because i thought the same as you. Change one first then the other one later. The labour cost is then double whereas it only cost you once if do both at the same time. If you change the oil sump gasket they will have to lift the engine in other to remove the oil sump. Once the engine is detach from the gearbox thats where the flywheel oil seal is. So if you change both, it will save you on the labour cost. Don't be penny wise pound foolish. The gasket and seal is damn cheap compared to the labour cost.

thanks dvng. it makes lot of sense to change both at once. what else you think i should check or change other than these 2 items?

Top Bottom