E39 Crankcase ventilation/ oil separator

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerholic

Club Guest
Guys, has anyone replaced the mentioned item before?Mine's showing some sign of sludge deposit at the oil separator. I ran a search through the forum and came across a similar problem. Only diff is his car is an E46. http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12297&highlight=oil+separatorand i'm not sure if mine's gonna turn out to look something like his on the inside. :eek:But i notice minor misfiring during idle at times. But there is no problem whatsoever while driving. The following is the part number and the item (2); same as pressure regulating valve:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD42&mospid=47539&btnr=11_1487&hg=11&fg=15My question is, how much does this item costs? labor? and is it serviceable instead of changing the unit? Is there any interval for servicing/replacing this item or only as and when you see gunk leaking?Thanks very much in advance. :)

I have not replaced mine but had it out just to just look see if it's ok.
Cost RM280 i f i remember right.a failed CCV will cause rough idle as the red flapper valve will not seal properly thus intruducing unmetered air to the system.

mine turned out ok with minimal sludge.cleaned it out with WD40

moots;438917 said:
Cost RM280 i f i remember right.a failed CCV will cause rough idle as the red flapper valve will not seal properly thus intruducing unmetered air to the system.

thanks moots.

I just got mine replaced today together with some hoses that's connected to it. Apparently the separator diaphragm is ruined. Therefore there was air leak.

Thanks again.

Seriously, will the damage in this oil separator cause white smoke emission?

YES!...I just got that item changed, posted in one of my previous post (air valve) = pressure valve..it's oil separator..
Symptoms
1) Rough idling especially in the morning, you find the engine a bit shaky.
2) Sometimes, you need a second crank to start the engine because the first crank, engine starts and dies.

Infact, we thought can save cost a bit, so took out and serviced, cleaned the unit, worked 2 days and then white smoke started to come out whenever I start the engine after running. So, had to do second time. White smoke at point of starting. Phulamak, mine looked like diesel engine for the first 30secs or so (this quite severe)

Cost of replacement about Rm200+. While at it, may check on the plastic hose (item 1) that connects to the unit because mine cracked too and got it changed too at the same time, Rm100+, if I'm not mistaken, all ori as I see the BMW logo.

Now, smooth.......................

moots;438917 said:

Hi bro, any other item u replaced too when u changed the CCV?

dipstick.jpg

lowerdipstick-1.jpg

bro,i didn't change the ccv as it is still functioning ok but the oil draiin tube(rubber hose) and the dip stick housing(the ccv oil drain passage part) was totally clogged up.i dipped the whole assembly into cleaning fluid(petrol:listen:) and ensured the flow is ok once again.i'll monitor and hopefully no more smmoke at start up....

Top Bottom