E38 servotronic power steering

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E28driver

Club Guest
Just wondering what is the feel of a fully functioning power steering system on an E38? Finger tip light twirling the steering with one finger? Or more effort required?My steering feels inordinately heavy and suspect the $ervotronic $witch. Or could it be the pump?Some advice or suggestions from the sifus here much appreciated.Cheers

I have driven a fair few 38's...some light feel and others heavy feel steering. I personally prefer strong feedback....each to their own. I personally feel uncomfortable when there is too much power steer.....

i have upgraded my E32 from stock to servotronic.. and i am not going back!

so both my rides the 32 and 38 now is with servo tronic and it is much easier to drive.. and responseive especially at low speed. it will slowly tighten it self up when you hit 60km/h and then another stage at 120-130kmh..

Managed to resolve my heavy steering issue.

It turns out the wires in the servotronic switched was frayed causing a short to the servotronic power supply in the general module.

One new servotronic switch and one used GM III later and the power assistance is back!

It was $$$, but I'm enjoying twirling the wheel with one finger...

Do you think a normal 96 E38 M60 740i can be upgraded to servotronic ?
What parts would you need from your experience ?

alantiong;781279 said:
i have upgraded my E32 from stock to servotronic.. and i am not going back!

so both my rides the 32 and 38 now is with servo tronic and it is much easier to drive.. and responseive especially at low speed. it will slowly tighten it self up when you hit 60km/h and then another stage at 120-130kmh..

timbach;817403 said:
Do you think a normal 96 E38 M60 740i can be upgraded to servotronic ?
What parts would you need from your experience ?

Check ur vin and see you already have one or not. If not you will need to find the module and steering box. harness shpuld be there already.

Apologies but how can my VIN show me if I have one or not ?

alantiong;817418 said:
Check ur vin and see you already have one or not. If not you will need to find the module and steering box. harness shpuld be there already.

timbach;817426 said:
Apologies but how can my VIN show me if I have one or not ?

with your vin number.. go to realoem.com and go though the components and look through what you have in your car.

today i did a rebuild for my servotronic steering box. there is a zf kit for this. i have got a leak on the top oil seal.

result.. superb. even lighter now. i guess with all the seals and oring changed, the pressure is much better thus a ligther steering. I am tempted to do the same for my 38 now.

Top Bottom