E38 or E39 more comfort and spacious for family?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
An E38 728i has adequate Oomph. The car will do 180-200kmh easily with great style and comfort. It handles pretty well in city traffic too. I actually wonder how many E38 or S class owners would want to drive these cars like a boy racer.

E38 735i & 740i are great cars, but the road tax & maintenance is very much higher than the 2.8
So if road tax & maintenance cost is not an issue, then 740iL would be a nice car to have.

Never driven a 730iL V8 but from what I heard from the guys who have driven both the 2.8 and the 3.0 V8, it seems the 2.8 engine has better all round performance.

Make no mistake, many of the 728i owners use it as their daily driver. It just shows that it's not too much of a challenge to maintain one.

zooq;489880 said:
(I was told 728 is more torquey than 730.)
Can some sifu explain or justify this statement plz.
Anyway went around damansara,old klang road and ampang area today and managed to look at 3 728i.The one that I'm keen on was a 97 728i CBU gold (is it gold?) with beige interior and everything works.There's another guy(japanese)testing the car with me and to make story short he puts down downpayment for the car before me..there goes my dream car..he he.Aiyo guys sell URS la to me..Plzzzz

Ahah. The early bird gets the worm I guess? I know it's in Penang, but I saw a 2001 728i (silver/black interior) for sale at one of the dealerships I pass by on my way to college every morning. I know it's a 2001 based on the facelift and the plate no. (but I could be wrong)

Totally agree with what Vincent said. the 728i is plenty adequate as a daily drive. The 7 is designed as a sporty luxobarge.. with more emphasis on the luxury than sporty. I use this as my daily car and the major plus point for me is the comfort and smooth straight 6 engine. Lower road tax (relative to it's bigger engined twins) also helps. Certainly the 740i and above have more 'sporty' characteristics, but only if you don't mind the road tax. Also, despite it's size, it it quite maneuverable and the turning circle is very impressive. PDC helps A LOT!

So, if you want something more sportier with space for family, perhaps the E39 would be a better choice, or even the E46 if space isn't a priority.

If you want bigger, comfy space and not too hefty maintenance bill, 728 is perhaps a way to go.

go for the E38. I drive to Shah Alam from K. Terengganu on average twice a month. Its a breeze. Last week my wife said its a bit too fast. Then looked at the speedometer. We were cruising at 180 kph, at 7.30 pm on the LPT! The tacho was at 2500. I always looked at the tacho!

Hi Zooq,

Welcome to the club.

I was never much of a Beemer man..more Mercedes..

But after just getting a E32..the 7 before E38 I must say I am hooked.In terms if family,the E38 would be fantastic.

My kids all have a distinct preference for my car..he he.Boot space is huge & can easily accomodate what you listed.

When buying do factor in cost of repairs..quotation can be obtained fr a reputable mech who deals w BMWs..the other sifus in this forum can recommend.

Good luck in your search & hope to see you in one of our 7 TT..

Cheers :)

here is a poison pic... :)
muddy7.jpg

i saw e38 740 at mudah recently. its red in color. 45k. nice skirting and spoiler but with 20 inch rim.

i really wanna try e38 and probably will let go my s320 to try this thing.

i really need to read more. ikut hati mati lo.

Vincent Hor;507088 said:
I think you need to double check this car. Engine c.c. is 4.0 but road tax is only RM1600.00+???

Vincent, in our bolihland anything is possible........provided you are willing to pay for a " consultancy fees "

.....heard it was about 3.5k - 4k those days. but dont ask me......i donot know any consultant....he..he...heeeeeee

Eggie86;488220 said:
I wonder whether I can relive my fantasies of being James Bond... Minus the suaveness, and the remote controlled 750iL... Hmm...

This is the exact E38 7er that was used in the film "Tomorrow Never Dies" BTW they used both 740iL in the film. Remember the car was driven "remotely"

007-BMW.jpg

I'm driving a 730i,daily drive actually,about 50km daily for almost 4years,and its a 97 model.
-no major problem so far(engine)
-change a few things such as steering rack and something i cant recall now but it is regarding the power steering(wake up in d morning floor full with power steering fluid)
-other than that normal things,brake disc,pad,brake oil,some sensors,brake sensors,speed sensors n etc.
that's all..driving it is a pleasure..

go for it bro..
if u r looking for comfort+stylish+speedy car=E38

Yes, I know plenty of such examples running around. But when we get into trouble with the law and the insurance companies, the consultant would also be missing or "saya tak tahu"

I would rather stick to my 2.8 and have a good night sleep.

Like the chinese saying "If want to eat salted fish then be prepared to be thirsty"

AAM;507160 said:
Vincent, in our bolihland anything is possible........provided you are willing to pay for a " consultancy fees "

.....heard it was about 3.5k - 4k those days. but dont ask me......i donot know any consultant....he..he...heeeeeee

Vincent Hor;507234 said:
Yes, I know plenty of such examples running around. But when we get into trouble with the law and the insurance companies, the consultant would also be missing or "saya tak tahu"

I would rather stick to my 2.8 and have a good night sleep.

Like the chinese saying "If want to eat salted fish then be prepared to be thirsty"

Thats why i said, i need to read more. Actually im a citroneers but i try to feel another brand. Got e34 for BMW and s320 for mers. Im so green about BMW and mers. i will keep the E34 coz i like the design even the suspension is hard. Probably will let go my s320 and try e38 for big size car. before that, hav to learn more bout e38.

one more, i love salt fish ............. :D

Hi all,

Been trying to do little research on e38....but i am not convince that the maintenance would be low, not for me at least. And i am not talking bout roadtax here since we are looking at 728i, its not too bad. My major worries are maintaining the car's major parts ie gearbox, electronic boards, aircond systems like compressors, suspension (not too worried bout suspension if its not the airmatic) etc and more that i do not know....

Otherwise i love the e38....nice space and affordable at such old age...think think....think think.....

I always think one should put aside 4k-5k a month for maintenence of a e38....wonder if that is even enough...never dare to try so far its a 7 series after all...

Regards

nerdjack,

.............. so be prepared to be thirsty.........!!!

EuJax,

then go for E32 730i year 1991 and above. reliable, comfort, low maintenance and adequate power when needed. road tax......,okay lah !!!!!. me, been driving it and still for almost 10 yrs.

EuJax;507373 said:
I always think one should put aside 4k-5k a month for maintenence of a e38....

Wah bro, how you come up with 4 - 5k a month la? Liddat, 10 - 12 months can buy another E38 liao....:D

I think you should put aside 4 - 5k a year la. Regular servicing will cost you at most RM1k if all fluids are changed (ATF included, but you don't change that every service) at an interval of 10k kms. My annual mileage is around 20 - 25k kms. So, with 3 regular service a year, max is RM3k (more likely less than that). The balance for brakepads, tyres and misc wear and tear. You should perhaps have another RM5 - 10k set aside just in case something major breaks down. Even then, there are chop shops.

Caveat - road tax and mods don't count la.... ;)

Top Bottom