e36 - perf & consumpn deterioration

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Lee36328

Club Guest
e36 328, year 97============been noticing a gradual deterioration in the performance and fuel consumption over a period of time....because it was gradual, it was not immediately noticable, until a friend commented my ride sounded harsher than before.checked my fuel consumption, and found that it's gone up as well....at kevster's advice from last night's tt (thanks, kev!), took it to m-one for a full modic check.here's what i found.spark plug worn out.vanos mechanically jammingthrottle actuator mechanical faultasc faulti thought... there goes my year end bonus... :dunno: replaced the spark plugs.cleaned up the part of the vanos containing a spring (dunno the technical name for it)....and presto! all above fault messages cleared up!total bill... RM 300++ ONLY! :D :D the car now feels a lot perkier.....now, to give my new Pirelli Dragon a proper breaking in and performance testing.... B)

Lee,

good for you.
Question though. Why did you clean the VANOS when you could have opted for the VANOS repair kit which I think I paid about RM280 last time.

We can go and run-in our Dragons from today onwards. I just got mine today.

What did you do to rectify the throttle actuator fault?

Affan66,

hmmm... tell me more about the vanos repair kit...

RM300++ above was for replacing 6 spark plugs... cleaning the vanos spring was free....

throttle actuator fault was triggered by the vanos fault... the fault disappeared after cleaning vanos and resetting the error codes...

how's ur dragon so far? mine is good... PROGRESSIVE slides...., although the cont CSC felt more 'solid', (kental)....

It's not a good idea to use up your year end bonus now - it is only March :D
Must have been a pleasant surprise to find that you only needed to spend RM 300.
I also did the same as Affan - vanos repair kit. I actually felt some knocking sensation and sound on the vanos, hence I had it repaired.
But replacing 6 spark plugs at RM 300 sounds awfully expensive, unless you are using higher end spark plugs.

Originally posted by ozone@Mar 19 2005, 10:28 PM
It's not a good idea to use up your year end bonus now - it is only March :D
Must have been a pleasant surprise to find that you only needed to spend RM 300.
I also did the same as Affan - vanos repair kit. I actually felt some knocking sensation and sound on the vanos, hence I had it repaired.
But replacing 6 spark plugs at RM 300 sounds awfully expensive, unless you are using higher end spark plugs.
Affan66, Ozone,

Can I know more about the VANOS repair kit. Where did you get it done for RM280? How long does it take? My vanos is making some noise. Ask some guys last nite TT and was advised to get it done.

Thanks
Armereth

Originally posted by ozone@Mar 19 2005, 10:28 PM
Well...,

when i consider that a full modic check was done, and the vanos was cleaned as well, and my bumper rubber strip was repaired, and my throttle tightened, i think it's money well spent... ;)

other workshop could have easily insisted that my vanos, throttle actuator, asc, etc all needed changing...

then i would really be in trouble!!!! $$$$ : :dunno: $$$$

Lee,

You notty boy....232kmh.....tsk,tsk.......Glad you got your ride sorted....Now are you ready for a performance chip?

Muahahahahahahahaa...........................

Ha ha ha...

I knew that last statement wud get ur attention...

am planning something by this year end... watch this space!

just wondering what chipping and bbtb wud do to the fuel comsumption... anybody?

Originally posted by Lee36328@Mar 26 2005, 10:58 PM
just wondering what chipping and bbtb wud do to the fuel comsumption... anybody?
Fuel consumption is corelated to how you drive, the question is, can you resist the increase in HP and decided not to tap it after chipping? If you are, i do not expect much increase in energy bill. But if you are, nothing comes free :)

In fact, motorway crusing will show better results than pre-chipping as max torque is achieve earlier, e.g. 300Nm@3500rpm --> 328Nm@2750rpm for my M54B30.

Top Bottom