e36 Gearbox

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jsen

Club Guest
hi guys,nd some advice on a e36 325i gearbox.. heard it has lots of problems? is tat so? any insight on this?frens told it got breakdown easily after 100000km.. im really concern bout this .. pls help..thks.jsen

Mine (e36 328) lasted until abt 190k km.

Look at the maintenance history - this will give some indication how long it may last.

Regular flushing of the gearbox oil helps as well.

At this age, gearbox overhaul is unavoidable - it's just a question of when.

thks guys.. i think i better check on the gearbox oil then.. sien la.. wat im afraid is it goes kaput half way when im driving it, n also the cost is high to change a new one.. !

if it lasts till 190k km, then its reasonable to overhaul it.. well burn was right too, it really depends on the driver ....

hahaha, i think i'll better do some precaution measurement 1st(flushing) b4 it really breaks my wallet..

thks thks..

cheers,
jsen

Was told the repair kit is around RM8++ or lower (for sure E34 is around that price), then it all boils down to the labour cost and whether the mechanic is good or not. All in all it should be around the range of RM15++ to RM2k.
Haven't rebuild mine though even though mileage is near to 300k (did once before but by the previous owner around 1xxk). When bought did a flushing and was told no problem with the gear box (from residue of the oil).
Tell tale of a gone gearbox is alot, and it wont just make your car immediately kaput during driving. Smell of burnt, jerking/delay when engaging and so on.. other knowledgable forummers might want to add.

from the info tat i've gathered, it really shows that it does breakdown at the average mileage of 200000. so, i gotta lookout for the syndrom once i've reached that distance.

thks so much..

cheers,
jsen

To share with you, I rebuit mine at RM4K for 325i, e36. The rebuit process should take 3-4 days.

Originally posted by LazyServer@Feb 14 2006, 12:46 PM
To share with you, I rebuit mine at RM4K for 325i, e36. The rebuit process should take 3-4 days.
huh, wat do u mean by rebuilding yrs? took out everything, clean it n reinstall it again? or issit u build a new one at the cost of rm4k, if then , its cheap liao..

can provide m ewiht more details ar? thks thks...

cheers,
jsen

Rebuilding means taking it apart, and replacing wear and tear components which have worn out. But note, certain parts may not replaceable, or may be expensive to replace, which is why when you have gearbox symptoms, it is advisable to rebuild sooner rather than later. Also did mine around RM4k, abt 1 yr ago.

thks man, but was thinkin chanign atf will it help to prolong the lifespan? arent the ATF is lifetime usage? why does it has to change in an e36 where e46 it doent require any (maybe im confuse, or mix up with other parts?)

thks a lot sifus.

cheers,
jsen

Originally posted by jsen@Feb 18 2006, 09:06 PM
thks man, but was thinkin chanign atf will it help to prolong the lifespan? arent the ATF is lifetime usage? why does it has to change in an e36 where e46 it doent require any (maybe im confuse, or mix up with other parts?)

thks a lot sifus.

cheers,
jsen
any lubricant would deteriorate in viscocity... The term lifetime is probably lifetime for the car (not urs) and the fact that nowadays, the cars aren't made to last as long as they used to have built them to be. So the 'lifetime' here could well means 5 years???

Bro,

My Gear Box "HANG KANG" have to order from KL coz it damn costly in KK..i spent RM5K..luckly manage to sell the carr..

Top Bottom