E36 - Fan motor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Russie

Club Guest
Hi guys, lately my fan is making some whinning sound whenever I switch on the air-cond. It happened again today and I decided to drop by an air-cond shop to have it checked. As told by the mechanic, the fan motor is the one making the sound whenever it kicks in. He further informed that if the fan doesn't work, it may cause overheating in the car.This is the fan which I am referring to:-
Picture002-1.jpg
Questions:-1) What do you call this fan? Electric fan? Radiator fan? Aux fan?2) Can I only change the motor (if yes, how much for new or used unit from chop shop) or should I change the whole fan unit (how much - new and chop shop)?3) Can this be repaired?Please share ideas and experiences, thanks.

That should be the radiator fan @ electric fan as most people call it. Yes if it fails your car will overheat.

The aux fan is in front of your radiator (actually it sits in front of the condenser) which can be seen when you're looking into the engine bay from the kidney grill area.

Don't know the price or if it's repairable though. You gotto check with your regular mechanic.

There's a particular mod associated with the removal of the fan clutch (if your engine has it) and replacing that with the electric fan. It's supposed to lessen the parasitic drag on the engine therefore regaining some loss power. I feel it's dangerous though cause if the electric fan ever fails, you're dead duck. At least with the fan clutch even if the clutch fails the fan would still spin freely, hopefully. Of course it's a totally different story if the fan itself is destroyed. :p

firdaus325;404024 said:
bro, go to get brand new fan.. for peace of mind then.. gud luck

Thanks for the reply, how much does a brand new one cost? Can we just change the fan motor rather than the whole fan unit?

My engine overheated a month ago bcoz of radiator fan failure and the workshop manage to find a used fan unit from chop shop @ RM600 for replacement..the mech told me new fan unit will cost approximately RM1300.correct me if i'm wrong.hope this info will help..:top:

cheers

I have replaced the electric fan with a used unit from chop shop. Can't recall what was the price, have to search for the receipt. Have been using for a few months, so far so good. Will update in here when I have the time (I mean the price, etc).

Cheers

Top Bottom