E36 driveshaft (auto)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

affan66

Founding Member
Folks, My E36 325 auto driveshaft (long-shaft) is having some issues now. The joint is no longer moving freely and causes vibration. I have three options: 1. Change to a new one. Heard it is quite costly and not easily available here. Let me know if you know how much it costs and who has it. 2. Change to a recond one. Much cheaper but issue is how to find a good one unless you put it on to the car and try it out. 3. Service the driveshaft. Much much cheaper but I find the results not pleasing. The vibration is bad (even worse!!) that I can't drive more than 80 km/h. Previously, the vibration only happened when I kick-down from a full-stop. Need your advice on this matter. Thanks folks.

Finding for you bro if got will call you. Chop shop also always bring from japan cant use because different gearbox. ZF and Jetco gearbox long shaft different than GM. Your is local use GM gearbox.

Call this guy Al 0173174178, he would be able to help you, there's a chop shop in Jln Chan Sow Lin could source d parts

affan, you can try my mechanic Albert Fang WP Auto in Pandan Indah 0122017792 or 0163357792. He has done the replacement for my 328i with GM box. RB is right, chop shop long shaft (prop shaft) are usually for ZF or Jatco.

As for new ones it cost around RM3K that was last year pricing.

Albert managed to find a matching one from a chop shop in Ampang and it solved my problem. Price also very reasonable.

thanks brothers... tried a few used ones today but almost similar condition as mine.
New is about the price mentioned but takes 2-3 weeks to order.. Crap :(

finally.... got it done. I am glad this episode is over without buying a new longshaft.
Key to this: make sure you also change the bearings, mounts and ensure the shaft is in good condition. Find a competent machineshop who can fix longshaft joints that can also do balancing if you into this route (fix longshaft). cheers to those who offered helped even when they are hung-over. Yamseng!!

affan66;349570 said:
finally.... got it done. I am glad this episode is over without buying a new longshaft.
Key to this: make sure you also change the bearings, mounts and ensure the shaft is in good condition. Find a competent machineshop who can fix longshaft joints that can also do balancing if you into this route (fix longshaft). cheers to those who offered helped even when they are hung-over. Yamseng!!

Bro, could you share with us where you got it done & how much? What was involved?

got mine fixed a BMWorld Desa Tun Razak (Ah Wai), recommendation by the feline species. :)

Changed the gearbox moutning, longshaft bush, centre mounting bearing, shaft coupling and second hand rear-most piece of the longshaft. Also changed the exhaust gasket as the exhaust had to be taken down. All in, about RM1,000 inclusive of labour.

Tip: ensure the centre mounting bearing is shifted tightly (you can adjust it forward/backwards) to ensure the shaft stays firm.

affan66;349683 said:
got mine fixed a BMWorld Desa Tun Razak (Ah Wai), recommendation by the feline species. :)

Changed the gearbox moutning, longshaft bush, centre mounting bearing, shaft coupling and second hand rear-most piece of the longshaft. Also changed the exhaust gasket as the exhaust had to be taken down. All in, about RM1,000 inclusive of labour.

Tip: ensure the centre mounting bearing is shifted tightly (you can adjust it forward/backwards) to ensure the shaft stays firm.

That's what Albert (WP Auto) did for my black 328i. The rear long shaft was the culprit. Front was ok. He sourced for a same measurement rear long shaft (from Japan or Eurpoe) and refitted and it was ok. Total cost which includes labour, centre bearing, prop shaft fibre bush & the longshaft was about RM800.00

The problem our CKD cars faced is the fact that we uses the GM g/box while those available in chop shop are either Jatco or ZF. Hence the difference in the length of the propeller shaft.

Sometimes the chop shop says they have GM box prop shaft but in actual fact these are prop shaft of local cars that have changed their g/box to either manual, ZF or Jatco auto boxes. These chop shop supplying the replacement g/box usually insist on exchange basis. Therefore whatever GM g/box type of prop shaft available at chop shop would have pass it better days.

mine was a good cond 325 shaft. Good price you got there.

Very true on the jatco/ZF gearboxes. I got fed-up waiting I almost wanted to go into the manual gbox route :D

Top Bottom