E36 318i frm 91 t0 99, when was the engine revised?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

EuJax

Club Guest
Hi all...hope all is well. I am thinking of getting a E36, only 318i, but am not sure which year's model is a better one, of course newer better but when does the E36 get a face lift or engine revise? I understand that the first batch shares the same engine as E30 which is the M40. So when did they fit in a new engine? Thanks for your info. Cheers.

Elwine, any chance of getting one like Fabian's M42? Once got it, how easy to get parts?

well, for the IS, most of them are coupe or known as 2 door. Seldom or very rare you find a 4 door IS. I have met a few running original E36 4 door IS.

Original parts is easy to get. You can order from BA, 1st Div, or even BMW itself. I got my m42 parts from bmw itself whereby i ordered all the hoses. ICV is the same, AFM is the same, belting is the same, oil filter the same, air filter the same, fuel filter the same. So, basically you can obtain parts very easily for M42.

My ex-E36 was manufactured early 95 but it was an M43 engine wif timing chain. perhaps it was one of the earlier ones.

Thanks for the info guys. So the revised version with M43 runs with engine chain while the m40 with belts is it? Seems better to get the chain then...and what are the other difference generally? Are the M43 fitted with VANOS system?

Thank you people. Its really helpful here.

Regards

M43 for 4 cylinder only...no vanos. If not mistaken the timing chain M43 engine also got 2 variant. The earlier M43 don't have air control valve at intake manifold while the latter M43 got it.

The m43 comes in 2 variant, the earlier batch is the one without digital aircon and electric fan which is mentioned by km. The later one comes with digital aircon,ews and electric fan.

Which one is better to maintain?

Hi guys,

So which one is easier to maintain? It sounds like the non electronic air con is less sophisticated or am i wrong? I dont know but usually i am a bit scared of electronic parts over mechanical parts :p

Regards

well, digital aircon works as good as the normal one. For the eletric fan, just need to spend a bomb to replace a new one or can opt to repair it. :).

It's definititely more expensive than changing fan clutch.

elwine30;221722 said:
well, for the IS, most of them are coupe or known as 2 door. Seldom or very rare you find a 4 door IS. I have met a few running original E36 4 door IS.

Original parts is easy to get. You can order from BA, 1st Div, or even BMW itself. I got my m42 parts from bmw itself whereby i ordered all the hoses. ICV is the same, AFM is the same, belting is the same, oil filter the same, air filter the same, fuel filter the same. So, basically you can obtain parts very easily for M42.

The IS has 2 engines, M42 and M44...

AFAIK, there are only coupes are fitted with the M42.. But for the M44, there are some which are fitted into the 4 door saloon.

The M44 switchover was somewhere in 1996, not too sure on this but it's about there...

Hi guys...thanks for the info. Few more things, is the E36 steering slightly off centre?? I test drove one today, a pretty nice condition 318i but the power is serious let down...even my E30 is much more responsive. Wonder if its not well serviced or the E36 318i is always sluggish. Any idea?

Regards

Btw....

By the way, the E36 i tested was a YM 96 car so does that mean it has a engine chain system? Cause the owner himself is not sure thus i better check more with you guys before settling. Overall the car is alright, no visible problem except for very old upholstery, old gear knob, old steering tilt etc....advice advice...?

Regards

Some pictures of exterior, interior and engine and under the car will be helpful. Do have the car checked by 3 or more workshop..

Sometime it might look nice but internal damge are hard to find.

E30 is lighter then E36 and engine power is almost the same.

eujax, yes the steering wheel feels tilted to the left compared to e30. You will notice the foot pedal for the brakes and accelerator is a little off too. But afte a while, you will get used to it.

as for the power for 318i, yes it's a little underpower and it doesn't have the power to go feel. But on the mid range from 100 onwards, it's alright as the rpm is within the power band aka 3K and above.

The 318i E36 is a good day to day drive from A to B. That's it, if you are just a easy goer, then 318i is good for you. Chepaer on maintenance and roadtax. Fuel wise, only long distance you will see the difference. Town use not that friendly though.

DOes the car comes with eletric aircon? If yes, it's a timing chain engine aka M43.

Thanks Geoffrey and Elwine for the helpful info. Am seriously considering...but the price for the car i tested was 'quite' pricy...high side of RM40k...what do you guys think? It has no leather seats, no cd player/changer...everything is stock. Opinions?

Regards

Save some more money and get E36 325 or 328...more satisfying....

well, if you wan good looks, go for the 318i 99 model. Last batch with two airbag, all accessorries fitted in. :) it should cost you about 60K.

EuJax;222136 said:
Thanks Geoffrey and Elwine for the helpful info. Am seriously considering...but the price for the car i tested was 'quite' pricy...high side of RM40k...what do you guys think? It has no leather seats, no cd player/changer...everything is stock. Opinions?

Regards

Hi Eujax,

I presume your budget is around RM25K-RM30K. Due to most bank wont provide loan for 1992-1994 car, you to consider getting it cash.

If you can wait, then wait for 2 years and you may get a good E39 (5 series) for about RM60K. Its nicer and much newer then E36.

Cheers

Thanks again for the advice.

Hi KM, well actually i dont mind the slower 318i as i dont think i wanna spend too much on maintainence and fuel cost. Good idea though :)

Elwine, what are the other accessories for the last batch of E36 apart from the air bags? Does it have electric seats or so? :)

Geoffrey, my budget is slightly higher but you are right in a way, the E39 is indeed a much better car. But i dont foresee myself getting a 5 series in near future :) Keep to a 3 series first :) I enjoy my e30 to every bit, seriously i am not kidding. I enjoyed every minute driving it, even though its just a 4 potter 318i its drive and handling and built is just like a piece of art :) Fantastic car by the BMW people...bravo!

Regards

Top Bottom