E36 318 conversion, advice needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

K.M.

Club Guest
Hello guys,

After owning and driving my E36 for 9 years with fantastic memorable experience, the time has come to renew the relationship by upgrading the engine to a more powerful. After some thinking, I'm planning to convert the 1.8 M43 to 2.5 engine.
Could you guys give some suggestion which workshop wthin the Klang Valley who can do a good job for the conversion job.
How much the cost all together with the engine, gearbox, rear axle etc. Planning to maintain it as autobox but prefer Jetco or ZF instead of GM box.

Thank you.

Go for it bro and you will never regret , m50b25 , i believe many workshop will be able to do it , try pm iceman or bro vman who are the sifus for e36 here or if ur willing to come down to penang i can help you ..

Zf or jatco is fine , of course zf will give you a better feel but if ur looking for a trouble free GB and power , manual is the best solution and you will enjoy every moment of it..

Don't waste time with Auto GB tranny. You loose on average 30% of the power output. But if you insist, jatco is cheaper than ZF. Just need to look out for one particular issues on the jatco. Talk to UDM68. he is the expert on jatco autotranny.

slyder said:
Don't waste time with Auto GB tranny. You loose on average 30% of the power output. But if you insist, jatco is cheaper than ZF. Just need to look out for one particular issues on the jatco. Talk to UDM68. he is the expert on jatco autotranny.
30% lost?..pretty big lost. But I'm too lazy to shift gear during driving especially traffic jam on highway.

best advise ...with the recent hike on chop shop parts, it would be rather economical to trade in your 1.8 and drive out a 2.5 out ....aint worth these days to convert as you'll eventually end up spending more ...if you're arent happy to trade it, then just buy one ( an additional collection in your car porch ) maybe get a coupe ..

Gear shifting is an art and the dual mass flywheels are so very forgiving as compared to normal single mass. You have to try then you know as driving a bmw manual is different from JDM.
clutch is light if done correctly and even with 2nd gear with speeds below 10kmh the car doesn't die or judder.

There's a very nice 328i (M) up for sale and priced reasonably .. PM me if ya keen for leads.. Cheers

@Slyder, you have picked up very well how to racun people go manual... reminds me of the days when me and iceman did that to you... hehehe.. keep it up bro !!

the sifus has spoken , thread starter follow any one's advice here and u can never go wrong..

I'm going to sell my E36 325i (auto) year 1994. Let me know if anyone interested.

im getting tired of my manual already ....getting old i guess... legs arent that strong to press down the clutch each time when i crawl in traffic ... driving a manual makes me lazy/yawn these days ..

Thread starter : if you've got a heavy wallet, i don't mind losing a car park space from my home ...

V-Man said:
There's a very nice 328i (M) up for sale and priced reasonably .. PM me if ya keen for leads.. Cheers

@Slyder, you have picked up very well how to racun people go manual... reminds me of the days when me and iceman did that to you... hehehe.. keep it up bro !!
wahh slyder already the taken up the title of being the lattest sifu here ..manual / auto jatco --> look for slyder for TT / HH

ICEMAN 68 said:
im getting tired of my manual already ....getting old i guess... legs arent that strong to press down the clutch each time when i crawl in traffic ... driving a manual makes me lazy/yawn these days ..

Thread starter : if you've got a heavy wallet, i don't mind losing a car park space from my home ...
Hahaha.. is this true what I am reading ?? Messing with my Blue Box eh !! Come come, take my Oren-Gina and I'll take the Blue Box.. Win Win :)

crusher said:
I'm going to sell my E36 325i (auto) year 1994. Let me know if anyone interested.
PM me bro... tell me what u have and how much

V-Man said:

oredi PM

ICEMAN 68 said:
best advise ...with the recent hike on chop shop parts, it would be rather economical to trade in your 1.8 and drive out a 2.5 out ....aint worth these days to convert as you'll eventually end up spending more ...if you're arent happy to trade it, then just buy one ( an additional collection in your car porch ) maybe get a coupe ..
Been thinking on this option also for sometimes but to keep 2 E36 at parking bay...HM sure make noise. To sell it still need to do some works on the engine. It's been 18 years the engine on duty with good services. Now need a new replacement..

IMHO, better off trading in your 4 potter for a 6 potter like what ICEMAN said. So many in the market these days. E36 prices are also so much cheaper than they used to be. Not worth going through the hassle of transplanting a whole drive train. Good luck bro!

Top Bottom