E34 Temp. Meter - Faulty?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shanbala

Club Guest
Hi Guys,My E34 525 1991 temp gauge seems to be playing up. Normally, the temp. needle stands in the middle of the gauge. Just recently, needle does not move from the "blue" region at the begining of the gauge. There is definately something wrong. No signs of car overheating. Water level OK.1)Is the meter faulty or is there some other reason.?2)Can the temp meter/gauge be changed separately or do I have to buy the whole meter cluster?3)just changed my coolant level sensor. Could this effect the temp gauge reading?Any help & guidance will be much appreciated.rgdsshan bala

Seeing the age of your car, it could be that the temp meter is sticking. Have u tried giving the dashboard a wack to see if the needle goes back to normal?. I know its a crude way to fix the problem but heck it works sometimes. I used to have this problem where the meter needle would swing left & right like its dancing!. A wack on the dash seem to return it back to normal so it was obviously a contact problem.

I removed the meter cluster and cleaned all the contact points, even put extra solder on some of the contact points and walla meters were back to normal. The fuel & temp meter is actually just attached to the circuit board (CB) by sliding in and it has 3 metal legs that come in contact with the CB. It could be that the contact point here is not as good anymore so check these out. You'll have to know how to remove the meter cluster in order to do this so if you are not sure just get yr mechanic to check it.

If indeed your meter is faulthy then you can always go hunt for a 2nd hand meter at the chop shops and just replace that meter. Not sure if the chop shops will sell u just the temp meter tho, normally they will sell u the entire meter cluster.

This is just one of the many possible causes for yr meter playing up. Good luck hope you can trace the problem. Do update us know if u find the cause of the problem. ;)

Or if it is not the guage, the temp sensor near the termostat needs replacing. That can konk out and give such a symptom.
Good luck.

Originally posted by ehoe@Sep 5 2005, 03:57 PM
Seeing the age of your car, it could be that the temp meter is sticking. Have u tried giving the dashboard a wack to see if the needle goes back to normal?. I know its a crude way to fix the problem but heck it works sometimes. I used to have this problem where the meter needle would swing left & right like its dancing!. A wack on the dash seem to return it back to normal so it was obviously a contact problem.

I removed the meter cluster and cleaned all the contact points, even put extra solder on some of the contact points and walla meters were back to normal. The fuel & temp meter is actually just attached to the circuit board (CB) by sliding in and it has 3 metal legs that come in contact with the CB. It could be that the contact point here is not as good anymore so check these out. You'll have to know how to remove the meter cluster in order to do this so if you are not sure just get yr mechanic to check it.

If indeed your meter is faulthy then you can always go hunt for a 2nd hand meter at the chop shops and just replace that meter. Not sure if the chop shops will sell u just the temp meter tho, normally they will sell u the entire meter cluster.

This is just one of the many possible causes for yr meter playing up. Good luck hope you can trace the problem. Do update us know if u find the cause of the problem. ;)

agree with u bro.,sumtimes my speedmeter n rpm meter lights goes off.,whack it once,ok again. :D :eek:k:

Top Bottom