E34 Flywheel oil seal

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ehoe

Club Guest
Noticed a small patch of oil under the car so had it jacked up to check. Found the flywheel oil seal has sprung a tiny leak. Problem is I had this oil seal replaced not too long ago. So gave the mechanic a buz and asked him. He said that he suspects its not the oil seal giving the problem, its coz the crankshaft is worned and not giving a proper seal. So even if I get the oil seal replaced it won't last long, it will leak again eventually. The only long term solution is to get the crankshaft fixed. So was wondering all the guru's out there, how true is this or is my mech just giving me a whole bunch of BS?. Replacing an oil seal is cheap but fixing a crankshaft, now that sounds very very $$$$. :(

Hmm no guru's out there that can comment or provide feedback on this??.

if it is the crankshaft...you are really F. big time.

my suggestion...get a second opinion.
If the seal used are of poor quality or not installed correctly, it will be the same results.

I have a diff. car changed 3 times to get it right.

Tks Montoya for the feedback. Wow you changed your seal 3 times!.... changing this particular oil seal is labour intensive. The whole bloody gearbox has to be removed to get access to the oil seal. What a pain in the a!*&.

ehoe said:
Tks Montoya for the feedback. Wow you changed your seal 3 times!.... changing this particular oil seal is labour intensive. The whole bloody gearbox has to be removed to get access to the oil seal. What a pain in the a!*&.

as per Montoya, get a second opinion

its both easy and difficult to diagnose the crankshaft giving the oil sealing problem

there is a technique that needs to be followed when putting in the seal

do check the undercarriage and see if oil leaks from the oil pan

you may have other signs if the crankshaft is buzzing, so suggest you get another 3-4 opinions from different mech

Top Bottom