E30 ZF4 auto gearbox

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shaifulo

Club Guest
Dear All,Sometimes, especially when my car (E30 M40 Auto ZF) is hot, it doesn't want to start..when i turned the ignition, it just click & not much else. I suspect the power doesn't go to the gearbox when i switch on the ignition. After i move the gear stick up and down between P, R, N, D a few times, then it will start....it's like the gear doesn't engage well at the P positionwhat could be the problem??? any clue????

i dont think it is the gearbox. could be the starter?? try to add a relay to the starter??works on mine

Could be the gearbox selector switch, located inside the gearknob console. It might not able to read the position of the gear selector properly so the EGS or whatsoever electronic device think that the gear lever is in D position, so could not start the ignition. For my E36, its yellow in colour and it costed me RM85 from First Division and you can change it DIY.

think he is referrin to his e30, i had the same problem b4 when the car is driven for quite some time and its hot. This due to the resistance of the wires for an old car which is not flowin enough current to the starter therefore coulnt engage the solenoid. First check the -ve grounding of your battery and make sure it is cleaned and not corroded and has good contact. Try grounding your car with a grounding kit (does not necessary works). Or the cheapest is to install a starter. Check ou this post in ZTH

http://zerotohundred.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45172

Originally posted by shaifulo@Mar 2 2005, 12:32 PM
Dear All,

Sometimes, especially when my car (E30 M40 Auto ZF) is hot, it doesn't want to start..when i turned the ignition, it just click & not much else. I suspect the power doesn't go to the gearbox when i switch on the ignition. After i move the gear stick up and down between P, R, N, D a few times, then it will start....it's like the gear doesn't engage well at the P position

what could be the problem??? any clue????
bladder,

its ur selector switch is playing up. for slush box u could oni start ur car @2 position oni, P & N. if nx time kenot start try to position to N n crank it. if oso kenot i doubt its ur slector switch issue. shud be ur starter or even bad baterry. try eliminate one posibility at a time.

Top Bottom