E30 CKD - aircon fan

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

evilnickwong

Club Guest
Just a question regarding the aircon system on the E30 CKD models, mine's a 1991 318i M40.Should the small aircon fan in the front of the car turn on as soon as the aircon is turned on? Mine doesn't, and when it does come on after driving for awhile (i think it might be stuck and the bumps from driving knocks it into action eventually) it doesnt seem to be spinning very fast.

You need to check several things:
1. To make sure the A/C switch is not faulty, with the interior cabin at warm levels turn on the aircond. The compressor and fan should activate. If yes, then (2)
2. Take a look at the fan. Is is spinning? If yes, then (3)
3. Are the blades spinning fast enough until you can't make out the individual blades? Do the paper test to check for suction ie put a strip of paper against the fan from the grill and see if the paper is pulled (NOT into the fan!). Also check if the fan is making any strange sounds (eg loud squeaking, grinding etc)

If the fan is running fine with all of these checks, then turn off the engine and check if the fan rotates freely when you spin it manually. If its sticking with no obstruction to the fan blades, then as miepower said, change the fan, no two ways about it here.

If it spins freely, then you may be having a loose wire somewhere.

Or you could just send it to a aircond man to sort out and avoid rummaging around the engine bay...

When I turn on AC, compressor comes on no problem, but that aux AC fan in front does not. If I whack it abit, it does start spinning. Or it spins by itself after driving around for abit. Once it starts spinning, I can't make out individual blades, but it doesn't look very fast either. No strange sounds though.

Since it looks like my fan is on the way out, what should I replace it with? OEM? Or get some generic AC fan like Jasma/Sanden etc.

Ahhh, from that description it looks like your fan is indeed about to give up its ghost. I'm using a sanden for quite some time now, seems okay.

But rattle the wires to the fan and see if that makes a difference, just to be on the safe side.

evilnickwong;535370 said:
Since it looks like my fan is on the way out, what should I replace it with? OEM? Or get some generic AC fan like Jasma/Sanden etc.

If time is on your side and you are into DIY then the none OEM will work fine. You just need the motor and fix it to your existing fan. Do some digging and you find a thread by skinhead regarding this. Or not to waste time, just replace it with a used unit which doesnt cost much.:smokin:

OK think I found the thread, altho I probably need to look at the fan itself to see if I can replace motor myself. Otherwise buy new complete fan and install that lol. :D
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2382&page=3

Also chanced upon this post by Strider in another old thread which is pretty much the exact problem I have (and I hope the same fix haha):
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showpost.php?p=58451&postcount=7

I just hope don't have to remove front bumper on e30 to access/remove&reinstall the fan?

haik. you mean like this? (removing the entire lower valance to expose the condensor unit)
images

crap i thought can slide out the bottom or something haha. ok that'll be a problem for me since the joker who installed my mtech2 valance last time used screws instead of clips, so removing it = repaint. although I intend to do that anyway haha.

also, where should i look for a new non-OEM fan like sanden etc, i'm guessing at aircon shops?

*edit*
this looks like a cheap fix lol
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...3030-12-universal-condenser-fan-for-sale.html

If that’s the case, you might be able to remove the fan by dismantling the grill and try to work around getting it out. It might work as there might be enough room to maneuver but I prefer getting the bumper out as you'll have more space and you can do some cleaning of other parts while you’re at it. See pic below

Yea I'm sure I'll want to clean the condenser and etc once I open it all up. Removing the bumper as in the photo above doesn't seem to be much help tho, still have to wiggle the fan out via the grill area. Only if remove the entire front valance then it's fully exposed. :D

Pic above just to show approx how much clearence you'll have once you remove the grills. Removing the bumper alone will not help much as to get there comfortably, the valance need to go as well.

Ah yes that's what I thought too. :) Thanks for the detail mie haha.

Now just wonder if that RM60 universal condenser fan from ZTH will be good enough. Otherwise I'll probably pay a visit to a AC shop and see what universal stuff they have.

Look for a twin speed fan motor as it'll be better for your cooling. The e30 OEM later models comes with it but not sure the one you've mentioned especially the RM60 unit. I doubt though :p

I thought about the dual speed thing, but I assumed that it was just the car sending higher or lower voltage to the fan rather than a function of the fan itself.

I read on the E34 or E36 thread that the ac fan runs on low speed all the time except:
1) high coolant temperature
2) high pressure from AC compressor sensor

Is this correct and same for E30? Not sure if my CKD even has that same setup since these appear to be quite different from CBU models when it comes to HVAC functions.

evilnickwong;535540 said:
I thought about the dual speed thing, but I assumed that it was just the car sending higher or lower voltage to the fan rather than a function of the fan itself.

It's not the voltage, the 2nd speed will be triggered by a thermostat located at the radiator.

evilnickwong;535540 said:
I read on the E34 or E36 thread that the ac fan runs on low speed all the time except:
1) high coolant temperature
2) high pressure from AC compressor sensor

Is this correct and same for E30? Not sure if my CKD even has that same setup since these appear to be quite different from CBU models when it comes to HVAC functions.

No 1 is correct but not too sure on no. 2 though but i doubt.

Ohhh OK, so I guess if I dont want it running full speed all the time, then getting a 2 speed fan is the more OEM choice haha.

I emailed Bav Auto to ask about the fan, but they told me since the local CKDs had their aircon system outsourced to a local company, the OEM BMW fan doesn't apply.

Looks like an aircon shop is the only choice now haha.

Top Bottom