E 36 with M43 engine high consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ivoka1981

Club Guest
Hello guys!I have newly bought a and i think it consumes a bit too much City normal driving (no throttling ) around 14 lit /100km.Have a OBD diagnostic with now error codes! Have cleaned the MAF!I have noticed that fuel gauge drops quite a bit when the car has been parked and stood for 4-5 hours!Do you know for any fuel evaporation problems with this model , and where do I start the troubleshooting ?Thank you in advance!

Congrats on your new car. Your problem sound like there several issues to address, possible leak, possible O2 sensor fault, MAF, etcs. Please have it fixed and you shall enjoy 600-700km per tank

Thank you for the quick response!
Well the situation is more like this:

My fuel gauge pointer drops fast giving me the sense of having a very high consumption.
Also,when I leave the gas station it shows like I put more gas than I really did.

As mentioned the the diagnostic did not show any OBD error codes! MAF and O2 sensors should be working ! Leak - i do not see any and do not smell any gasoline :(

vacuum and fuel pump fault or hose leak, fuel line leak, or bad spark plug and many other reasons cant be detected via sensors therefore no OBD error code.

May I know your tyre & rim size also your driving style and regular route?

On optimal M43 E36 should be able to give you 600-700km per fill of RON95. When my previous M43 start to gain appetite, it is because of O2 sensor and my fuel filter blocked also my plug is old. Also replace my fuel pump and vacuum diaphragm in the regulator. The diet return to 600-700 km from 300-400 after the fix.

The car run on 215 45 17 CC2 and original rim

Bring your car to a reliable workshop, if you are in KL.. Bring it to Wearnes Autohaus (formerly AB Segambut) for free 20 points check. Do consider have your car fixed there, you are allowed to ask for discount.

Good luck bro

ivoka1981;764316 said:
Thank you for the quick response!
Well the situation is more like this:

My fuel gauge pointer drops fast giving me the sense of having a very high consumption.
Also,when I leave the gas station it shows like I put more gas than I really did.

As mentioned the the diagnostic did not show any OBD error codes! MAF and O2 sensors should be working ! Leak - i do not see any and do not smell any gasoline :(

Tyre size is 195/65/R15. Calm city driving without reving the engine more than 3000 rpm!
Could you tel me where exactly is the vacuum diaphragm in the regulator ?

Thanx!

ivoka1981;764303 said:
Hello guys!

I have newly bought a and i think it consumes a bit too much 

City normal driving (no throttling ) around 14 lit /100km.

Have a OBD diagnostic with now error codes! Have cleaned the MAF!

I have noticed that fuel gauge drops quite a bit when the car has been parked and stood for 4-5 hours!

Do you know for any fuel evaporation problems with this model , and where do I start the troubleshooting ?

Thank you in advance!

could be a an almost gonna be faulty fuel pump ...but before you head this path try changing the fuel filter first which is pretty cheap ...as for the fuel evaporate ..the only possible way is from your fuel pump top cover or if you're the type that usually pump petrol to the tip ..pls avoid this ...

also pls replace the rubber hoses that's connected to the fuel pump ..ageing rubber hoses usually hardens and you won't be able to see the sign of evaporation unless your bend the rubber..

Top Bottom