DIY Headliner project

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chaiks

Club Guest
Guys, Need some opinion and feedback from you all with regards to the headliner material and color.I already removed the headliner card from the roof and cleaned the orange goo. While sourcing for the headliner material, I found this I'd believe to be PVC material that looks leather like in black (photo 1) or white. I like the idea of lining them with black for easy in up-keep & not dirtied easily by our trustworthy mechanics. The only con is the contrast of color with the sun-visors and handles in beige. The entire interior will be black as my dash and leather seats are black in color.What do you guys think about the black color? Is it to dark as headliner? The 3rd photo of is a sample of a chap (bimmerboard) who did his headliner in black and quite pleased with the results. I know that cloth lining is more appealing for luxury cars, does latest BMW still lined with cloth materials?View attachment 25477View attachment 25478View attachment 25479P.S. Wonder what's the 2 holes (photo 2) on the sound deadening materials on the roof for? Will patching it reduce noise during rain ?

wow...dis i like.....diy headliner.......plse report once done.this will be my next project.

my personal liking ......black headliner not nice.too dark.makes the cabin dark and gloomy.i prefer the current kaler....then again...color is a matter of personal preference....whatever feels good for you....is good.

Thanks for the reply. The headliner card removal is pretty simple. I took my time and got it remove in less than 2 hours by myself, including cleaning them as i go along.

One advice on sagging headliner is getting it remove asap when any sign of it sagging, as the orange goo can drop or stick to any surface. Or you better prepare some big paper clips around to avoid those mess everywhere, while removing the roof card with the headliner.

Cheers.

howdy chai,

my questions:
1. how do you clean the orange sponge goo - vacuum cleaner?
2. wiill you be replacing the sponge before offering the replacement cloth or pvc/vinyl material?
3. what glue will you be using?
4. won't the glue be absorbed by the cloth and mess up everything?

The glue are usually spray on with a spray gun (similar to a paint spray gun)

The yellow glooo is actually the foam material that has desintegrate due to the sun and heat.

Great! my e39 & e46 headliner also sagging, maybe I shd DIY too to save my pocket.
few tips:
1. there is a shop in chow kit selling fabric for headliner, can take u there if u want.
2. get a 3M glue spray no. 74 to glue d headliner.
difficult part is to remove and clean and choose d right colour ..haha.

jarance;757100 said:
Margy where to buy the 3m spray can.

ACE hardware or at a big stationary shop...if you can't get, i can help you.

Moot,

1. I use a brush with long handle to remove orange goo from the card. I even take my time hose down with water & dry. If you get goo on interior, you can use wet cloth to clean. Its just messy when the glue & disintegrated sponge stick on your interior.
2. If replacing with cloth, you definitely need the foam material. I even source & bought them at PJ Sea Park for rm7.5/meter. Looking at the pvc material i found with thicker thread bottom layer, don't think i need the foam to glue.
3. I found spray glue in Ace hardware. They cost from rm29.90 to rm100. I opt for cheaper option, else might as well send it to the shop if cost as much. Lol.
4. Yes, you are right. Thats why a mid layer of foam is needed as the glue work as the binder between the cloth & roof card. Unless you can find the actual roof liner material that came with the foam. Anyone knows where to find?

Macgy,

You must be good at DIY, like my hero MacGyver. Lately my hero is Edd China from Wheeler Dealer. Lol.
1. You can find the material that comes with the sponge or foam? I'd figure its more cost effective & easier than having to glue twice for the foam & cloth. Maybe you can show me the direction &/or we can group buy.
2. How much is the 3M no. 74 glue?

I know what you meant by choosing the right color being the hard part. Heck, i even thinking different material, like the leather like look. I am still driving without my roof card now. Lol. Removing the the headliner is straight forward. Its the goo thats messy. That why better remove when any sign or indication its sagging.

Cheers.

do they have the alcantara suade material ...refering to the shop in sea park ?? any lead to this shop ?

Sorry Iceman, the material from PJ Sea Park i bought is just the foam/sponge, without cloth. I have no idea how suede or alcantara looks or feel like. Does the material looks and feel like velvet? AFAIK from browsing the net for headliner, suede or alcantara is synthetic material. Maybe will check Kamdar.

Chaiks,
at jln pahang, find grand season avenue hotel, behind u ll find ambank, the next road parallel to AMbank road is where d shop is located, same row with spare part shops.
as for d 3M spray, mine is no. 77, d higher d no. ...d more expensive, however i bought it years ago at DIY central pt, at bdr utama, pj, it was $40 then.
bro, any tips on how to remove the roof card? did u break anything while removing the roof card?

Macgy,

Thanks for the direction. Will try to find the place using Google Map.

I did not break anything, as i took my time and with proper tools. You definitely need Torx screwdriver and if no trim remover, at least some flat head screwdriver to pry plastic clip. My notebook adaptor kaput, will upload photos later if not really in violation of forum thread not in DIY section. Else, i can still PM you the photos.

Cheers

Macgy,

Thanks for letting me know the place, by luck i took Jln Ipoh with my Garmin set for shortest route. As soon as i turn in the road i know is behind grand seasons hotel, the shop is just next to the spare parts shop at the T junction. I even bought the foam, as the one i bought from PJ was cut in 1 meter roll.

Got back to Centre Pt DIY shop and grabbed the last can of 3M 77, but ended up buying lots of stuff including Colron leather cream for my seats that i fixed the cushion/foam & broken trims.

Busy weekend ahead, will try to shoot more photos to share. Oh yeah, i decided on cloth & foam to match back the trim color & i'd believe acoustically will be better.

Cheers.

my pleasure, remember to upload the pictures, I intend to DIY next month,
thanks.

Iceman,

I checked the same place i bought the cloth, but they don't have suede & alcantara. Not even micro-fibre material. Guess need to source for shops or distributor of leather for upholstering furniture or car.

Cheers.

Macgy,

Here are some photos as promised. I figure there were lots of instructions you can find on google. I uploaded shots of trims for your viewing to get an idea on how to work with them.

Hopefully, this will help, but frankly the difficulty is not with removing or installing the roof cards and trims. The hardest was sticking the headliner material on the roof card. As I cannot find the headliner material with proper lining, I had to glue the (flimsy) foam on the card and cloth on the foam to finish. The tough part for my e39 was with the roof handles and sun-visor areas.

All in all, the project was inexpensive (below rm150) but you definitely need 2 canisters of glues. I used cheaper rm29.90 carpet adhesive glue for the foam on card, & 3M-77 for the cloth on foam. If you feel your time & effort is worth more than the difference, better send to pro/shops.

Tools required: Torx and Phillips screwdrivers, trim-remover or flat-head screwdriver. 8-mm Wrench for C-pillar trim removal.

View attachment 25791View attachment 25792Foam and cloth upholstery materials.
View attachment 25793Roof-card cleaned & even hosed down with water for thorough clean.
View attachment 25794Vanity mirror light needs to be pried loose while the visor holder requires torx screwdriver.
View attachment 25795Sun-visor needed to pry the cover before removing 2 torx screws.
View attachment 25796Roof handles cover can be pried gently with small flat-head screwdrivers & when open can hold the handle from the spring mechanism while working with Phillips screwdriver.
View attachment 25797A-pillar can be removed by prying the airbag cover before accessing the torx screw. Take care with pulling the A-pillar, I realized my plastic trim inside was already broken, which I glued back.
View attachment 25798View attachment 25799B-pillar can be removed by popping out the lower end by hand. You don't have to remove this if not re-upholstering as, the seat belt was screwed to the front seat. If required, you need a T50 Torx wrench to remove the seat belt screw, which I did when I removed the seats to repair the cushions.
View attachment 25802C-Pillar need to pry lighting unit out first before removing 2 screws with 8mm wrench. Pull pillar with hands at the top.
View attachment 25800Finished sticking foam to card, and preparing to glue cloth on foam.
View attachment 25801Finishing cloth by cutting holes on roof handles and glue on back of card. Rushed to complete before dark, so no photos in between.
View attachment 25803View attachment 25804Install card from back to hook on the roof hinge above rear windscreen, push forward & install 4 roof handles. Install the rest of lighting units & visors.
View attachment 25805View attachment 25806Finally, the roof headliner installed, minus the pillars, which will be work upon before re-installation.

Quite satisfied with the result.

Hi Chaiks,
Great finishing, very professional!!, just curious, why did u hv to glue the cloth to d form, d place i recommended actually sell the headliner cloth w form already glued to it.

Top Bottom