Differential Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

M30

Club Guest
I am planing to change the oil in my diff on my E23. What oil would be recomanded to be filled in the diff. The thing is that i also have 2 bottles of oil at home which was suppost to be used in my Land Rover but i sold the car before i could change the oil. One of them is a Esso SAE 140 and the other one is a Castrol EP 90. Is the multigrade better?

Esso SAE 140 should be a lot thicker then Castrol EP 90.

I have mixed oil before too, to get the in-between viscocity... :p.

I normally change every 20,000km, but a lot of ppl didn't give much priority to the diff oil and can sometimes kept using till it goes past the 100,000km mark.

sesat88 said:
mmm.. Redline is nice!

eh.. wat landie u go la.. b4 u sold?

Thought of using Motul but i have 2 4L bottles at home
It was a Defender 110(love that car). Ppl always kasi jalan to u when u drive that car...lol

fabianyee said:
Esso SAE 140 should be a lot thicker then Castrol EP 90.

I have mixed oil before too, to get the in-between viscocity... :p.

I normally change every 20,000km, but a lot of ppl didn't give much priority to the diff oil and can sometimes kept using till it goes past the 100,000km mark.

I did not know have to service that often...but the last time my mech told me my oil is still ok but thought of changing to clear the oil stock in my house. What is the ratio u mix?

So what is the best viscocity? I am goin to chnge tomorrow already.

M30 said:
So what is the best viscocity? I am goin to change tomorrow already.

I have been using Q8 Fully Syn 75W90 and sometimes mixed with Q8 mineral 85W140... 90 should be sufficient...
try the 140 if you have stock... you might like it better since it's thicker and may suit the old diff... However, if it doesn't fit right, either drain it and use thinner diff oil or mix some of the thinner oil...

M30 said:
sure ah the 140? won't it be too thick?

that's what i said.. use the the 140. the 140 is thick. what do you have to loose ?
noisy diff or a worn bearing ?

regards.:)

Top Bottom