Cruise control with braking function

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

achtung

Club Guest
hi guys, was just reading the 325i brochure,what does 'CRUISE CONTROL WITH BRAKING FUNCTION' mean???can anyone share what is means or how it works???? thanks

It means that on a downhill gradient, if the engine braking isn't enough to hold the selected speed, the brakes will be applied automatically without intervention from the driver. Most lux marques have this feature. But having tried my car's cruise control recently, I must say it's the best I've ever used. Very intuitive and effective control stalk. :top:

Yes, it will brake the car. I used it on the highway, cruising at 120-160 then when there is a car infont I just reduce the speed/brake with the cruise control, no need to press the brake pedal.

That's not the braking function Zul. That's controlling the speed with the stalk, something that you can do with any car with cruise control. 'Braking function' is when you set a speed and because you're going downhill, the car brakes by itself to hold that speed. :wink:

i tot it applies to all models, old and new ?

or it's a new function? on the older cars, the trottle will shut...

Haaihh! I said: "It means that on a downhill gradient, if the engine braking isn't enough to hold the selected speed, the brakes will be applied automatically without intervention from the driver."

And then Zul talks about the driver reducing speed with the cruise control stalk, and you talk about cutting the throttle. Critical reading lesson: focus on the words in bold please!

The cruise control in most cars only operates the throttle, including in the 4-cyl E90s if they have the cruise control option. Integrated braking is only found in newer and lux cars.

My understanding and experience is that it is a function where you can use the control stalk to fully brake your car. I mean the control stalk will or can be replaced the brake pedal in order to apply braking. When you are on auto cruise mode and when there is a need to slow down, you just need to pull the control stalk upward or towards you and it will reduce the speed and if you pull hard, it will give an instant braking. Try it out. This is what it means by "with braking function". Most of the auto cruise control on other makes are without this braking function on the control stalk.

from bmw malaysia website and this is the one that has me confused..

"Putting your safety first.
Active Cruise Control (ACC) in the
BMW 3 Series Sedan.
A long journey on the motorway. The BMW 3 Series Sedan is cruising at a set speed. It approaches a slower car in the lane ahead, and automatically ACC reduces the Sedan's speed. When the vehicle ahead clears the lane, the Sedan returns to its previous speed - all without demanding the driver's attention. A short touch on the accelerator immediately disengages the system."

http://www.bmw.com.my/com/en/newveh...llfacts/ergonomics_active_cruise_control.html

does any of the 3series has this??? :rolleyes:

Schwepps;494208 said:
Haaihh! I said: "It means that on a downhill gradient, if the engine braking isn't enough to hold the selected speed, the brakes will be applied automatically without intervention from the driver."

And then Zul talks about the driver reducing speed with the cruise control stalk, and you talk about cutting the throttle. Critical reading lesson: focus on the words in bold please!

The cruise control in most cars only operates the throttle, including in the 4-cyl E90s if they have the cruise control option. Integrated braking is only found in newer and lux cars.

schweeps... you have a attitude problem ? i can read very clear..
if everyone was clever like you, this Q&A wont exist..

'on older cars' the throttle will shut...' meaning when you need to slow down, using the stalk will do it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwepps

pussy;494244 said:
schweeps... you have a attitude problem ? i can read very clear..
if everyone was clever like you, this Q&A wont exist..

'on older cars' the throttle will shut...' meaning when you need to slow down, using the stalk will do it..

I can also read clearly, thanks for the reminder. May be time to get a reading glass then. Just sharing my experience with my active autocruise on my E60 530i. As I drove at about 160 km/h (my normal cruising speed on the highway) if I want to slow down fast because of slow car infront I just pull the stalk fully few time till the HUD show the speed to about 80-90 km/h. That time I can feel the car braking fast within few seconds. I don't think the engine slowing down can bring the speed down that fast. My EK4 Honda Civic many2 yrs ago with autocruise take a long time to slow down with the engine slowing down and I have to just press the brake.

Sorry pussy, I didn't mean to sound condescending! I'm just a very exact person when it comes to facts. :eek:

Guys, there are 3 things being described here --

Controlling speed with the stalk:
Most cars with cruise control can do this; increasing or reducing speed with the stalk. It works on the throttle which opens or shuts depending on whether more speed or less speed is needed. Engine braking slows down the car in this case.

Braking function:
Our 325s and above come with this. The system applies the brakes when engine braking is not enough to hold a selected speed on a downhill gradient. Cruise control on the 4-cyl E90s don't have this, and neither do most cars with cruise control. The brakes slow down the car in this case. This is what Achtung saw in the 325i brochure.

Active Cruise Control:
We don't have this option in our E90s here. This is an automatic distance control system where you can select 4 distances from the car in front and the cruise control will maintain that distance. It needs a radar sensor to be fitted in the front air dam. This is what Achtung saw in the website.

Look in the handbook, it's all there.

DY, pulling the stalk to slow down the car and pull harder for more stopping power do sounds like riding a horse le... tie a rope over the steering and fastern to the Auto Cruise stalk... yeeehaaaaaaa! :D :D

The lower stalk in the photo is the cruise control stalk:
images

ergonomics_acc.jpg

My base line E90 no 3rd stalk.. :(

Schwepps;494255 said:
Sorry pussy, I didn't mean to sound condescending! I'm just a very exact person when it comes to facts. :eek:....

Tell me about it!.. :D

Schwepps;494255 said:
Active Cruise Control:
We don't have this option in our E90s here. This is an automatic distance control system where you can select 4 distances from the car in front and the cruise control will maintain that distance. It needs a radar sensor to be fitted in the front air dam. This is what Achtung saw in the website.

Look in the handbook, it's all there.

Yes! We dun have such option here.. no need to look at handbook, just look at the front bumper central grille below the number plate for this:
H-432_1.jpg

This will appear on the dash:
ergonomics_accstop.jpg

This is how Active Cruise Control works..

astroboy;494259 said:
DY, pulling the stalk to slow down the car and pull harder for more stopping power do sounds like riding a horse le... tie a rope over the steering and fastern to the Auto Cruise stalk... yeeehaaaaaaa! :D :D

The horse riding function where you can brake by pulling on the stalk past the first point, has been around in CC systems for ages. It was in my American 4x4 of the mid-nineties. But that's still driver intervention using the stalk. 'Braking function' is part of the automatic CC. Automation means 'no human intervention'.

astroboy;494259 said:
My base line E90 no 3rd stalk.. :(

Don't sweat it. "A Bimmer with CC" is an oxymoron. A bimmer driver who needs CC should think about getting a Merc or Lexus. :D

astroboy;494259 said:
Tell me about it!.. :D

I'm exact with words, you're exact with pictures mah. Same difference lor! (another oxymoron :eek:)

Schwepps;494263 said:
Don't sweat it. "A Bimmer with CC" is an oxymoron. A bimmer driver who needs CC should think about getting a Merc or Lexus. :D

huh???? oxymoron?? quite humorous reply but not very intelligent :stupid:

Based on what i have read so far, it needs driver to input both speed & distance from the car in front. Once the distance btw car falls below preset distance, it will reduce speed & brake to maintain the distance. No manual intervention is required. When e-brake is required, driver will be warned & driver input is required.

I don't think our CKD car have it. It was supposed to brake on its own when it detected a slow-moving car infront.

I find it quite frustrating when using CC in an environment where most drivers hv terrible lane ethics/discipline.Having to make countless interventions to the CC is so irritating.I guess this is where ACC comes in,especially on long drives.
I've learnt how to use the CC to adapt to our road environment(as explained above) but its frustrating nontheless.

I don't really care if my car has one or not.Not something that i'd miss.

ergonomics_accstop.jpg

Eh, I think I saw this image on my dashboard. But of course, it's not lighted up. It an add-on feature.

Anyway, with cruise control there is a tendancy to :sleep:

No cruise control = UDM :love:

MSport;494341 said:
ergonomics_accstop.jpg

Eh, I think I saw this image on my dashboard. But of course, it's not lighted up. It an add-on feature.

Anyway, with cruise control there is a tendancy to :sleep:

No cruise control = UDM :love:

will try to do an instrument light test and see if the image is there....although our CKD doesn't have that function:top:

U got this radar or not wor? If no have how to detect front vehicle distance?

bmw-sensor.jpg

Top Bottom