Creaking interior sounds

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

enkryan

Club Guest
Hi guys,When I go thru uneven road surface, my whole car creaks a lot.I suspect this is due to the door panels. Mine have some broken clips holder - my mech used "black gam" to hold the clip in place but the panels are not flushed against the door frame.If changing all the 4 inner door panels will resolve this noisy problem, I will do it but I need to know if anyone has done it before. Otherwise it will be a waste of money.Hope someone who experience this could help. Thanks.

Black gam? Why not just buy the clips from AB - changed mine for the dirvers door and dashboard panelling - all for about RM30, I think! Not fits sui-sui!

Originally posted by enkryan@Jan 13 2006, 08:30 AM
Hi guys,

When I go thru uneven road surface, my whole car creaks a lot.
I suspect this is due to the door panels. Mine have some broken clips holder - my mech used "black gam" to hold the clip in place but the panels are not flushed against the door frame.

If changing all the 4 inner door panels will resolve this noisy problem, I will do it but I need to know if anyone has done it before. Otherwise it will be a waste of money.

Hope someone who experience this could help. Thanks.
what... car... do... you... drive...?

plz update profile, it's there so that we know if we have a similar experience, we can share it.

if e36, i've got lotsa suggestion.

thanks.

my e36 is also having the same problem but the creaking sound is coming from the rear left back sit, sumwhere around the absorber. Any suggestions? ty.

hi Lee,

The sound is driving me crazy everything when i switch off my Radio. i have changed all the door clip and the metal clip at top of the door 's panels. but the sound hasn't gone. would u mind to share how u fix the problem ? by the way, my driver seat also have some noise everytime i drive through the uneven road surface, can it be fix also ?

Originally posted by shyang_my@Jan 13 2006, 01:32 PM
hi Lee,

The sound is driving me crazy everything when i switch off my Radio. i have changed all the door clip and the metal clip at top of the door 's panels. but the sound hasn't gone. would u mind to share how u fix the problem ? by the way, my driver seat also have some noise everytime i drive through the uneven road surface, can it be fix also ?
Ha ha, on my ex-E36, I have that same problems too, a carcophony of squeaks, rattles and groan. There were many causes and it took me sometime to rectify some of them.

Some the rattles and squeaks came from the dashboard. That was eventually resolved when I had the airconditioning system serviced. Well, the whole dashboard had to come out anyway and it was put back as good as new.

The other squeaks from the doors which took me sometime to find out with the help of Lee. Some WD40 and weekly treatment to the rubber and felt seals / linings of the doors saw to the squeaks. This is only a temp solution though. Better to change the seals / linings but they cost a dosh.

There were other minor noises but I could tolerate them. However, I eventually got rid of that car and settled for the E34.... haaaa, bliss at last. :D

Originally posted by shyang_my@Jan 13 2006, 01:32 PM
hi Lee,

Hi Shyang,

I see from ur profile that u're driving an e36, 325. Great - at least we're talking about something in common.

Based on my subjective experience on my e36 328, here are my comments.

The e36 is a creaky car. In order to lighten the chassis, many more plastic parts were used compared with e30 or e34. This trend continues with e46 (and hence the common e46 power window failure, for example).

The more common creaks and groans are quite easy to fix. Your leather seat, for example, needs to be taken apart and greased up at every joint or point of contact.

Dashboard noises, unfortunately, would require a dashboard down job. Like Flash said, the next time you do a major service of your aircond requiring removal of dashboard, get the noise sorted then. Naidu does an excellent job.

Minor squeaks require a can of WD40 within easy reach, and a vigilant ear. Parts that would squeak include, just to mention a few :
1. glove compartment door
2. gearbox panel
3. aircond outlet duct frame
4. steering
5. the contact between the front leather seat and the armrest
6. seatbelt latch (that red piece of plastic where you fasten the seatbelt)
7. seatbelt rubbing against leather seat
8. door panels (this is an entire topic by itself)

Treat your squeaks like mosquitos and WD as Ridsect, and squirt away!

As for the noise coming from the back, a common weak point in the frame of a car is the B-pillar. As the rear passenger doors hinges on the B pillar, when the B-pillar flexes in relation to the rest of the chassis, the door will knock against the frame, near where the passenger's buttocks would sit. A strip of soundproofing material on the bottom rear corner of the door panel solved it for me beautifully. I sat on a friend's S-class, and lo and behold, heard the noise from the same part. I felt better about my e36 after that. Lildevil, not sure if this is similar to your case or not.

And finally, the mega creak solution. In pursuit of better handling, I FOAMED my entire car's chassis. This came with some soundproofing benefits. It took care of :
1. mysterious creaks deep in the dashboard
2. sharp creaks inside my roof lining
3. various assortments of clicks from a flexing chassis

To cap it off, I soundproofed my four doors, and under my rear passenger seat.

Now, the car is TOO quiet. I can hear the slightest microscopic noise. Killing one batch of noise simply brings out another batch at a lower decibel. Desmond says I should foam my ears next in order not to hear anything, ever.

I can also hear details from my stock standard stereo that I've never heard before. I save money on buying new CDs because I'm re-listening to all my old ones.

Another downside of too much soundproofing - I can't hear the cars outside. I reversed into a car at a parking lot once, despite her frantic hoots.

Now, the only thing left to soundproof is the roof. I can still hear the raindrops outside. Now, just waiting for my rooflining to droop so I can fix the roof up at one go. Maybe Desmond is right. Soundproofing my ears would be cheaper...

Flash : thank you very much for your share :D , u did the job urself ah ?

Lee : thank you very much for your share.u have ur full experience for soundproofing ur car har. really want to see how silence ur car is. by the way, do u do it urself ? i prefer ppl do for me la, because i am stupid in DIY. will make the things even worse sometimes. if u know where can do the job which mention, please tell me lar :D :D . i want the car quiet a bit. now the condition even worse than my friend's wira... full of creaks sound coming from the door panel...

sorry for my poor english

rgds
shyang

Originally posted by shyang_my@Jan 14 2006, 02:41 PM
Flash : thank you very much for your share :D , u did the job urself ah ?

Lee : thank you very much for your share.u have ur full experience for soundproofing ur car har. really want to see how silence ur car is. by the way, do u do it urself ? i prefer ppl do for me la, because i am stupid in DIY. will make the things even worse sometimes. if u know where can do the job which mention, please tell me lar :D :D . i want the car quiet a bit. now the condition even worse than my friend's wira... full of creaks sound coming from the door panel...

sorry for my poor english

rgds
shyang
Do it myself?

You must be joking...

I got my car foamed and soundproofed at Desmond's KL Auto. PM me for details. Cheers.

Originally posted by Lee36328@Jan 14 2006, 01:55 PM

Now, the car is TOO quiet. I can hear the slightest microscopic noise. Killing one batch of noise simply brings out another batch at a lower decibel. Desmond says I should foam my ears next in order not to hear anything, ever.

I can also hear details from my stock standard stereo that I've never heard before. I save money on buying new CDs because I'm re-listening to all my old ones.

A solution to hearing the microscopic noises is to upgrade your sound system to a level that makes u want to listen to music a lot more!! :nyehehe:

... Another downside of too much soundproofing - I can't hear the cars outside. I reversed into a car at a parking lot once, despite her frantic hoots...
Know what u mean! ;) Happened to me a few times, but luckily managed to stop in time! Shoulda seen the look on the driver's face! Priceless!

Now, the only thing left to soundproof is the roof. I can still hear the raindrops outside. Now, just waiting for my rooflining to droop so I can fix the roof up at one go. Maybe Desmond is right. Soundproofing my ears would be cheaper...
Very easy.... plug up your ear with ear wax.... :rofl:

Lee,

Thanks for the interesting comments. Will try out some of your options.

I was surprised that my profile suddenly disappered! :huh:
Updated: I am driving an E36 325i 1995

[/QUOTE]"Black gam? Why not just buy the clips from AB - changed mine for the dirvers door and dashboard panelling"
-It's not the clips that were broken but the holder on the door panels where you put the clip. The gam is used to hold the clip in place (in lieu of the broken "clip holder")
This resulted in gap which I suspect the noises are coming from. My mech said the holders are part of the panel and I need to change all the door panels.

Hope you can advise.

Hi Enkryan,

Thanks for updating ur profile. Good choice of ride dude.

I wud suggest u get a second opinion from another workshop. I don't think BMW would force you to replace the entire door panel because of a broken part. If you had a photo, it would help to post it here; I can then ask my sources to confirm.

In lieu of a photo, check out this link if you haven't done so already. You might pinpoint the part further.

RealOEM

As you can see from how detailed and organised it is, you'd find it hard to believe you can't buy the broken part separately.

Alternatively, what I did was to get Demond's boys to work on it creatively. Their very good at solving odd problems. :) Thanks Desmond!

Don't know if this will help you... but my good friend once gave me some tips of the squeak and rattles...

Engage the M button.

M = Music

:yahoo:

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the link. Just to clarify things; I am the smart aleck thinking of changing the door panels :rolleyes: and it wasn't recommended by anyone.

I have removed my door panels previously for some other installation work as well as to change the clips. It was then that I saw the broken parts-"clip holder".

Will try to check it our again.

enkryan.

any update on this...as i am looking for the panel door clip holder as well......is this the one we are talking about

If the holders are indeed part of the panel, then the best bet would be to source the panel from potong part supplier.

Top Bottom