Cranky window auto winding motor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mibeem

Club Guest
Good day sifus/mates,My '97 e39 is doing fine 'cept it's driver side window suddenly refused to wind down ystrdy. However, after I reached office, I managed to get it to wind down with a slight hint of tightness and motor sounds a bit rough. After a few tries though it jammed again and wouldn't close!:confused: Eventually I played with the remote (which has the auto window closing function) and managed to close it. Since then I was careful with it but it seems to hv returned to normal. BTW, I left the car under hot sun for about two hours prior to the problem.Any one with any ideas here? Anything to be careful with perhaps?Thanks for your replies.

e39 window are quite robust.

Your problem is due to most probably harden rubber seal for the window.

try to apply some silicon grease on the window edge and some on the rubber seal as well.

another possible problem is the worn out contact for the push button. You can swap the push with the others push button that is seldom used - like passenger side.

also please clean the window edge. they tends to stick some fine dust and would increase the friction.

Hi Jarance,

Appreciate your reply. Am thinking of something along the same lines... WD40 would be suitable right?

Cheers

wd40 is ok if you don't the smell. As wd40 is petroleum based, they tends to leave a smell. In addition the tends to evaporate after a while. It is good for releasing or rectified the jammed part if the problem is due to stickness.

Silicon grease are odorless and colourless. They are more stable in high temperature enviroment.

ORAIT, gotcha. Haven't done anything yet, anyway. will try the silicon spray as u suggsted.

Have a good week ahead...

Sorry disturb..On my case, my both passenger windows only can wind down but can not lift up, so what's the problem here?

bmw7833;225854 said:
Sorry disturb..On my case, my both passenger windows only can wind down but can not lift up, so what's the problem here?

Same case but yours are more severe.. Careful not to break the motor or the cable or else it will be more expensive

bmw7833;225854 said:

can go down but cant go up after that?

chances are, the clip on your window mechanism has snapped. its made out of very brittle cast magnesium, and its a common failure part. i got both my rear mechanism broken by my stupid 3 year old nephew when he press down on the glass.

sad to say.. its not a replaceable part as the whole lifting mechanism comes in a complete unit. about 1200 brand new or a few hundreds if you are lucky to find it at some chop shop. somehow i dont think there is any used unit available in the market after looking high and low for it.. .. i have even tried welding it, but since its a cast item, its very porous and there;s no guarantee of a good solid weld.

however there is a DIY fix to it if its not "TOO LECEH" for you.... :).. all you need is some grease, some wires, pliers, torx key, various size sockets and 2hours of your time. i repaired both my rear windows and its been holding up well even repeated torture by that little monster.. .. best thing is that it only cost me about the price of a mcdonalds large value meal...

Yo bro Leforte,

Must say you do your home work well! And thanks for your note about your nephew (I'm sure he's a great kid that you actually love to bits!).

I tot, as I lower the window, I'd help it on its way down by a slight pressure (something like helping the "tired motor" do its work...) But after you mentioned what happened with you nephew, I better look for the silicon grease / spray fast!

Thnx for your comments guys...

my passenger side power window wind down smoothly but quite reluctant to wind up..it's really slow and takes a long time to get to the top. Any idea what's wrong with it?

I've sprayed the side with silicon spray and also lubricant for the sides, but E30 window's run felt is not exactly rubber, it looks like cloth or fabric material to me..

Would take out the door card and apply grease on the cables later when i got the time..

cheers

Hi Leforte, mind to share how you use/tie the wire to hold the cable to the broken clip so that the cable could pull the window up again. Mine got the same problem. Now using a wood to hold up the window before mynext visit to the workshop. :D

Top Bottom