Corrosion on brake disc

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

RahimRad

Club Guest
Guys, I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to figure out how to reduce corrosion on the brake disc especially when the car is parked for more than 3 days. I don't drive my car everyday.. Anyone out there has any solution to reduce (don't think there's anyway to avoid corrosion in humid climate) the corrosion effect? :confused: Appreciate any 'wise' suggestion.. :) Enjoy Ramadhan..

hmmm...

I thought dust shield stops the brakes dust from settling on the wheels?

How does it reduce corrosion on the brake disc?

The rust would be brushed of once you drive it... no big deal...

there's oxidation cause it's exposed.. unless you vaccum seal the car.. ;)

I suppose that is why extremely rich people keep their cars in an airconditioned room complete with dehumidifier facility.. sigh

I have the same problem but been advised that not to wash the tyres and rims if you gonna park the car and not drive for days.

Some say the oxidisation is caused or exasperated by certain detergents/cleaners/car shampoo. If the 'rust' bothers you, I'd go with Randy's suggestion. Or better yet, switch out to rims that are not so open :D

It really doesn't affect the car's performance. The oxidisation will wear off after a few minutes of driving....

my car is not fast enough to justify the ceramic or black carbon brakes upgrade la... :D

must upgrade the car performance first!! well, lets not go there.... yet!! haha

Appreciate the 'don't wash the wheels & tyres' suggestion.. I suppose I must ask for discount from car wash taukes since they can skip the wheel cleaning.. :D

fabianyee said:
The rust would be brushed of once you drive it... no big deal...

there's oxidation cause it's exposed.. unless you vaccum seal the car.. ;)

vacuum seal? :D will shrink wrap work :D

bro rahim, i suggest to keep your brake disc dry and park your car in a place where it will not be exposed to rain... mine is parked in an apartment car park and most of the times after my overseas trips, no oxisidation... espeacially on the front as for sure not exposed to rain...

It's cast iron for its strength. It's bound to rust a little if water gets on it (not humidity). Like others said, doesn't affect the performance.
Maybe use a hair dryer to dry it after washing? :p

excellent idea Stranger!!

I'll get my 2 yo son to blow dry the brakes everytime I send the car for cleaning.. haha.. free some more... :D

I know it's not affecting the performance but its bloody eye soring!!

I wonder if we can find a cleaning agent ie. a bottle spray liquid type that'll do the 'spray and clean' trick.. Perhaps that WD-40 thingy might do the trick?? :rolleyes:

Hehehe it's an eye sore for sure. I have learnt to ignore it. I used to wait for it to form after washing (in a matter of hours), and then would just drive a bit and apply the brake, just to rid them.

You can try the WD-40 if you don't want your car to stop either. :>

RahimRad said:
excellent idea Stranger!!

I'll get my 2 yo son to blow dry the brakes everytime I send the car for cleaning.. haha.. free some more... :D

I know it's not affecting the performance but its bloody eye soring!!

I wonder if we can find a cleaning agent ie. a bottle spray liquid type that'll do the 'spray and clean' trick.. Perhaps that WD-40 thingy might do the trick?? :rolleyes:

WD-40 or any type of lubricant is a NO-NO. First of all it will affect your braking efficiency and can be dangerous. Secondly, once your brake pads get contaminated with lubricant it will be damaged - you have to replace it.

Surface rust on the brake discs will wear off once you start using your brakes. Its not a problem and just that it doesnt look good. If you intend to store your car after washing, I suggest you drive the car for a short while to get rid of the surface rust.

Top Bottom