Comment on SSangYong Musso 1997 2.9L Diesel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nsbone

Club Guest
Hi all,Anyone owned or know about Musso 1997 2.9L diesel before? Need some comment/advice as i am considering the car for family use..thanks in advance,nsbone

Originally posted by nsbone@Jul 9 2005, 08:19 AM
Hi all,

Anyone owned or know about Musso 1997 2.9L diesel before? Need some comment/advice as i am considering the car for family use..

thanks in advance,
nsbone
A few of my friends bought it new and regret it. First no power, second the resale value sucks.

Originally posted by Mikeong@Jul 10 2005, 12:36 AM

A few of my friends bought it new and regret it. First no power, second the resale value sucks.
Exactly, it has good resale value for 2nd hand owner!

The power is around 95-120BHP, but it's a diesel...

Any other comments?

maintenance and parts may be another factor for u to consider. being low volume, parts maybe a bit highish.

The interior looks shit to me. One look and you can tell it is made of cheap stuff, although you are paying more than RM100k for it!

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Jul 10 2005, 02:53 AM
The interior looks shit to me. One look and you can tell it is made of cheap stuff, although you are paying more than RM100k for it!
The former SSangYong was partly owned by Mercedes (now majority owned by Daewoo). In fact it was marketted in certain country by Mercedes itself.

The 2nd value for 1997 2.9L turbo diesel is about RM33K and with 110% finance (if needed). For a 5cylinder Mercedes engine, me think it's not too bad.

THe 2.9L diesel non turbo is about 98HP, and turbo version is only about 118HP. THere's also a 2.3L petrol (engine from E230) boasted about 150HP. But if u need more power, there's 4.2L (from S420) gives u excess 220HP.

However, 2.9L diesel consumption can be very good but with catch of RM2.9K roadtax.

However, i would like to see what benefits if this is compared against xtrail, storm etc.? Surely cost to buy Musso is much less. Parts for xtrail, storm aren't that cheap anyway....

I think some UK car mags actually say the musso is under rated due mainly to its looks, ungainly size, shape.... who can blame them right?

My 2 cents - my experience is with the turbodiesel version (company pool car for project site use) -

its mainly UGLY isnt it but it kinda grows on you;

it looks better without all the garnishing - get rid of the bull bars etc. and see the original design underneath it all - UK designed believe it or not;

its frugal enough (applies to turbodiesel) - petrol version probably horrid consumption since its heavy and has the aerodynamics of a brick. N/A diesel probably just as horrid but at least diesel is (still) cheaper than petrol;

HUGE space.... really really HUGE space.... this thing will carry tables etc. - what you do is flatten all the back seats etc. and what you get is a humongous space in the back;

although it looks big and tall ...have you noticed how low the running gear is ... so this equates to fairly reasonable cornering ability.... ekekekek ... me and me mates tried this and :) ;

interior is big and reasonable looking.... looks like most big SUVs

pretty tough.... the pool car withstood at least 4 or 5 different people trashing it on a regular basis

as a family car - pretty ok... lots of space lah... a huge amount of metal for the price

problems?

I dunno mate.... Merc engine should last, but what about the rest? Maybe the engien will outlast evrything else....

there mayb be probelms with the trubo... it actually requires a cooldown period unlike the light pressure ones in 940 volvos..... most people dont bother and just switch off engine ... I think safe to assume everyone did this.... which will mean long term turbo probelms!

It needs the turbo for anything resembling decent acceleration.... with the turbo it was pretty pleasant... if without turbo... hmmmmmm

repairing/servicing could be expensive .... i was told by the accounts lady... but what does she know right?

tire costs?

there's too few on the roads now days.... may have long term support issues....

Thanks all especially jipster sharing his experience in driving musso.

regards,

Check out it's rear suspension. It's a live axle similar to your regular commercial vehicle. Bus Mini Wilayah, Old Newspaper truck, Gas delivery van, you get the picture. You can also expect similar handling characteristics to the aforementioned commercial vehicles. No thank you.

Just got myself a Musso a couple of months ago. Drives good on h'way, but rattles when stationary. Maybe due to diesel engine.
Roadtax is 2.9K eventhough its a green engine. Top speed on h'way- 135-140km.
Rides good but a bit sluggish due to its massive size. Consumption quite fair about 12cents/km with the present price.
Parts quite hard to get and can be expensive.
No complaints thus far.

Anyway, i'm paying only a fraction of those who bought brand new. Paid 35k for it. Insurance 3rd party only.
Kalau langgar pun lantak lah....

Originally posted by CAJ19@Jul 13 2005, 02:59 AM
Just got myself a Musso a couple of months ago. Drives good on h'way, but rattles when stationary. Maybe due to diesel engine.
Roadtax is 2.9K eventhough its a green engine. Top speed on h'way- 135-140km.
Rides good but a bit sluggish due to its massive size. Consumption quite fair about 12cents/km with the present price.
Parts quite hard to get and can be expensive.
No complaints thus far.

Anyway, i'm paying only a fraction of those who bought brand new. Paid 35k for it. Insurance 3rd party only.
Kalau langgar pun lantak lah....
The point here being..... I pity anyone you langgar with the Musso :yes: .....

Imagine getting a broadside from something that looks like a rhino..... rhino wins all the time :lol:

Top Bottom