Clean your engine bay

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

maxion89

Club Guest
Hey guys I had a question wanna ask.... My engine bay is really2x dirty... So I would like to send it for bath... Is that ok to do that? I already look on youtube lot of ppl doing that 2... just need to cover some area then it could be wash already... have u guys done it with your ride? is it ok to do it?

Check out initialM's showroom thread and you can see how he showers lotsa TLC on his rides, engine included....

My experience with an old M20 engine......

cover your distributor with a plastic bag, use a degreaser ( spray in can type ), use a brush for the stubborn stains, let it soak and then rinse well ( using ONLY low pressure water ). Yeah avoid the fuse box and after hosing down, please ( please x 3 ) use compressed air to blow off water from spark plug sockets.......to prevent misfire later from short circuiting. ( this is mandatory )

I will NOT allow car wash boys to do the above, only myself cos with old electrics and socket fittings......water ingress can create havoc - misfiring, erratic idle, improper running!

Oh ya, starting your engine and let it idle to dry off the wet bits AFTER pressured air drying is also helpful, though no mandatory.

Well, above works for me - but maybe cos my car has less electronics so wash at your own risk! :)

Jules;842999 said:
My experience with an old M20 engine......

cover your distributor with a plastic bag, use a degreaser ( spray in can type ), use a brush for the stubborn stains, let it soak and then rinse well ( using ONLY low pressure water ). Yeah avoid the fuse box and after hosing down, please ( please x 3 ) use compressed air to blow off water from spark plug sockets.......to prevent misfire later from short circuiting. ( this is mandatory )

I will NOT allow car wash boys to do the above, only myself cos with old electrics and socket fittings......water ingress can create havoc - misfiring, erratic idle, improper running!

Oh ya, starting your engine and let it idle to dry off the wet bits AFTER pressured air drying is also helpful, though no mandatory.

Well, above works for me - but maybe cos my car has less electronics so wash at your own risk! :)

Yea I saw on youtube do the same as yours..... I might try it later on then... thanks Jules...

I never open my engine compartment so I don't see it so I don't wash it. Hahaha.

i am also thinking of washing my engine bay. mine is 320 m54 engine. ive watched in youtube, some uses engine or brake cleaner. some use steamer and i think steamer is safer..what u guys think? my engine also is too dirty. the other day just used wet towel and wipe some of the top area but the inner and bottom where they have oil sludge from before?

anyways need a shop that specialize in cleaning bmw engine

splee;843014 said:
I never open my engine compartment so I don't see it so I don't wash it. Hahaha.

Lol try open it, sure clean as hell... hahaha...

sharizat;843019 said:
i am also thinking of washing my engine bay. mine is 320 m54 engine. ive watched in youtube, some uses engine or brake cleaner. some use steamer and i think steamer is safer..what u guys think? my engine also is too dirty. the other day just used wet towel and wipe some of the top area but the inner and bottom where they have oil sludge from before?

anyways need a shop that specialize in cleaning bmw engine

Last time I buy the engine cleaner can type.... the one are foam type like shaving foam.... Im using that while clean my engine head when do top overhaul.... Its working and not water based.... to clean whole engine maybe gonna need 3 - 5 can I think... Going to do that on the free time....

maxion89;842922 said:
Hey guys I had a question wanna ask.... My engine bay is really2x dirty... So I would like to send it for bath... Is that ok to do that? I already look on youtube lot of ppl doing that 2... just need to cover some area then it could be wash already... have u guys done it with your ride? is it ok to do it?

ya. i am using meguairs engine cleaner on my vehicle, so far no problem. i washed it about twice a month

Sharizat : brake cleaner to clean engine bay??? Serious ah? Brake cleaner will evaporate too fast, so I do not recommend that. Not cheap either i think.

Just use those that can be washed with water.....easy. Those which do not wash off will mean, your car will spell a bit after wash.....and possibly you can smell inside cabin too since aircon sucks air close to your engine firewall.

Good luck boys.

My way of cleaning the engine bay (trying not to rinse with water):

1. Using high pressure air spray gun from workshops to remove all dusts, particles and sands.
2. After washing the car, use the remaining bucket of water (am using Optimum No-Rinse) to wipe through the engine bay with microfiber cloth.

The above method may not be as clean as the rinsing method as suggested by some but for me, consistent cleaning (eg. once every 1-2 weeks) helps to keep the dirt and grime at very minimal.

- - - Updated - - -

My way of cleaning the engine bay (trying not to rinse with water):

1. Using high pressure air spray gun from workshops to remove all dusts, particles and sands.
2. After washing the car, use the remaining bucket of water (am using Optimum No-Rinse) to wipe through the engine bay with microfiber cloth.

The above method may not be as clean as the rinsing method as suggested by some but for me, consistent cleaning (eg. once every 1-2 weeks) helps to keep the dirt and grime at very minimal.

i use kaercher steam cleaner.. medium pressure steam... works like magic...

it takes off the grime and dirt.. and it dries off so fast that it doesnt accumulate much water.. so really great for electronics.

- - - Updated - - -

it takes off the grime and dirt.. and it dries off so fast that it doesnt accumulate much water.. so really great for electronics.

alantiong;850123 said:

Alan...where to get this kaercher?how much?

Top Bottom