Chris Bangle

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

funfer_fahrer

Club Guest
Believe it or not, this American guy has been working for BMW for the last 10 years. The new E60 and the new 3 concept is based on 'flame surfacing', and a statement from BMW explained that 'flame surfacing gives body surfaces the freedom to turn in on themselves and create a series of concave and convex desin lines'. I am not sure what it means what we all know the final result. The result was a controversial mixture of curves and angles which defied convention and polarized opinion , and which worked better on extravagant cars like coupes and roadsters than it did on the 3, 5 and 7 series. Let's vote!P/S: Dear Chris, enough is enough.

All I know was that he was previously from Fiat. Some of his designs include the Fiat Coupe, Fiat Brava, Fiat Bravo and Fiat Multipla. :yahoo:

Originally posted by vinson@Jun 20 2006, 07:59 PM
All I know was that he was previously from Fiat. Some of his designs include the Fiat Coupe, Fiat Brava, Fiat Bravo and Fiat Multipla. :yahoo:
You mean the pig-ugly Fiat Multipla? And what he's doing in BMW? Got cable is it?

he able to keep on coz the E60 was a hit, BMW sales record has been climbing worldwide.

What's wrong with his designs??? It's not conventional that's all...go bangle!!!

Originally posted by krazer@Jun 20 2006, 08:24 PM
What's wrong with his designs??? It's not conventional that's all...go bangle!!!
To me, it's lacking the PHWOAR! factor unlike all the pre-Bangle designs when they first came out. My first impression was 'like that only aahh?'. It's not ugly but he could come up with better ones. :D

i am all for chris with his revolutionary and unconventional design..the curves and shapes and how the lines blends together creates very interesting perception on the design. The only concern is how well if will stand the test of time to achieve immortality like the e30's or e24's..

IMO, only the e60 is the only one that is cool.

The e90 3 series is starting to look very Jap, no slight intended, but this is becoming the reverse of what it was earlier. When I first saw it, I initially thought I was looking at the rear end of a Honda.

Not at all turned on by the 6 and 7 series.

But then, I only like older cars... :) :p

Guys,

Feel free to vote. Don't be shy. There's no right or wrong answer. I promise I won't go to war because of this poll. :beaten:

Never been a fan of Mr Bangle.

IMHO, most of his designs do have hints of Japanese invasion.

Originally posted by jeffreyewe@Jun 21 2006, 11:05 PM
Never been a fan of Mr Bangle.

IMHO, most of his designs do have hints of Japanese invasion.
I would agree with you Jeff. Do you think his girlfriend is a Jap? Who else can influence a man? ;)

I read somewhere that the E46 was designed and signed off during CB's reign...and that was a nice looking car, no? :D

Originally posted by wglee@Jun 22 2006, 12:10 PM
I read somewhere that the E46 was designed and signed off during CB's reign...and that was a nice looking car, no? :D
You are absolutely right. Bear in mind at that time he was part of the design team but he was not the Chief Designer yet. He couldn't make executive decision.

'flame surfacing gives body surfaces the freedom to turn in on themselves and create a series of concave and convex desin lines'.

concave: is curved inwards in the middle

convex: curved outwards, like the surface of the eye

economics term...

:D :D :D

Originally posted by YellowMellow@Jun 22 2006, 05:06 PM
'flame surfacing gives body surfaces the freedom to turn in on themselves and create a series of concave and convex desin lines'.

concave: is curved inwards in the middle

convex: curved outwards, like the surface of the eye

economics term...

:D :D :D
Sounds like a graph in my calculus class. 'Concave up', 'concave down' :) :)

Well... gotta give credit to the man for being daring no? ;)

Anyway, read somewhere that this concave/convex surfacing details results in an interplay of light and shadow which is why it's called flame surfacing.

What i can say is that the surface features of the new models are very fascinating to look at but get a carpark dint on the body and i wonder how difficult would it be to get the surfacing details back to par.

At least if the body surfacing was flat, just go to any panel beater and knock the dent out right?? :(

Top Bottom