Chipped Paint - After Effects

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

beemerx

Club Guest
I've just noticed that paint the size of half a grain of rice has been chipped off frm my bonnet and the pain is simply unbearable :-( My concern now is, will the paint continue to chip away, making more damage when it's been exposed to the elements (ie rain) or during a car wash when high powered spray guns are used? Will it also rust? Appreciate the advice. I'm thinking of getting the touch-up paint and doing some DIY on it as it's bloody obvious since it's on the bonnet of the car... wouldn't have been that bad if it was on the bumper.... sigh :-(

I've got lots of chips all over the place and just ignore them! :D Nobody notices (or cares) except you.

But using a car wash that uses powered spray guns is not a good idea if you want your paintwork to stay good as long as possible. Always better to wash your car at home with a garden hose.

Thanks Schwepps for your feedback. I can try to ignore the chipped paint as it's only visible at a certain angle where the light shines :rolleyes: But my main concern is, will the chipped paint portion continue to spread when exposed to the elements or I have no choice (due to fatigue & work) that I have to send it to a car wash? Should I get the section touched-up?

Any recommendations of car wash centres in PJ/KL that doesn't use high powered water guns besides Carnuaba Spa in Glenmarie?

Yeah, ignore it. Getting chips, scratches and dinks is never-ending bro. Only when it's really bad should you go for a respray. Doubt that a chip will spread: the paint is good quality; more likely that you'll just get more chips. :D Can't help you on the car washing man. Just find the best solution you can.

I just got a chip on my windscreen. So WHAAAAT? :rolleyes:

I guess getting chips, dings and scratches are part and parcel of owning a car... even a beemer!

Happy nEw year 2010 to all....and best wishes for the new yr :)

Meguiars Jalan 222 is a good place too.

beemerx;482514 said:
I guess getting chips, dings and scratches are part and parcel of owning a car... even a beemer!

Also, getting dimples when others open their doors too wide and kena your door!! :eek:

That's why I don't fold my wing mirrors when parked. That only encourages people to park closer to you and ding your sides when they open their doors. Better to save the mirrors or save the side panels? :)

MSport;482585 said:
Also, getting dimples when others open their doors too wide and kena your door!! :eek:

Totally agree with u bro... that's the reason why I'm very particular where I park my car. Best is an individual lot; separated by pillars or walls. If that is not available, then it has to be one side of the car next to the wall while the other siding another car; where I will park closest to the wall as I can. If not, the side parking would be acceptable as well.

I never park my car next to trolley bays, under air condition compressor units, near any construction of any kind, near a motorbike park, large trucks or 4WD unless they have sliding doors :)

I know all this is a bit extreme but I just can't help myself :stupid:

also...hv u train ur maid yet..not to slam the door to hard n open too wide until bang the side wall????

racheltoh;482614 said:
also...hv u train ur maid yet..not to slam the door to hard n open too wide until bang the side wall????

Hehehe.... my wife & I dun believe in having a full time maid at home. The once a week
4 hours home clean up is sufficient. It's either I wash the car myself or send it to the car wash centre :):top:

beemerx, I practice the same regiment as you plus keeping a distance from other vehicles while driving...... but still get the dings and chips:mad:

Not too noticeable if the colour is Titanium Silver...

phantom;482713 said:
beemerx, I practice the same regiment as you plus keeping a distance from other vehicles while driving...... but still get the dings and chips:mad:

Not too noticeable if the colour is Titanium Silver...

But unfortunately mine is in Sparkling Graphite where chips & dings can be quite obvious under certain angle :62:

Is yours in Titanium Silver bro?

beemerx;482725 said:
But unfortunately mine is in Sparkling Graphite where chips & dings can be quite obvious under certain angle :62:

Is yours in Titanium Silver bro?

Hi Beemerx
Let me know if you have managed to resolve the chip away paint as l have one deep cut on the bonnet. Visible upon closure look on it. I have yet to decide going to those "spa" places. If you have manage to do it via DIY, please share here.

Thanks bro.

Rgds KM

hayashikm@aol.com;482737 said:
Hi Beemerx
Let me know if you have managed to resolve the chip away paint as l have one deep cut on the bonnet. Visible upon closure look on it. I have yet to decide going to those "spa" places. If you have manage to do it via DIY, please share here.

Thanks bro.

Rgds KM

I'm actually trying to source for the paint from a company in SG so that can I do some DIY touch up on the chipped portion... I believe there's nothing the people at the spa can do about it as it's not a scratch but a piece of the paint was totally scrapped off from the bonnet.. probably got hit by a sharp pebble :-(

I'll let you & the rest know if I manage to get in touch with the company :)

Mine is Le Mans as from my avatar.

I'm not sure if Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 can solve our woes:hmmmm2:

phantom;482943 said:
Mine is Le Mans as from my avatar.

I'm not sure if Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 can solve our woes:hmmmm2:

Scratch X would only help if only the clear coat is scratched. If the paint has chipped off until the base coat, you would need to use some touch up paint.

seech;482947 said:
Scratch X would only help if only the clear coat is scratched. If the paint has chipped off until the base coat, you would need to use some touch up paint.

I've not gotten any reply from the SG paint supplier. Do you know of any company in MY that sells touch up paint for BMWs?

I read someone in this clud have used autospa for same paint chip on the bonnet - I recall he use the word stone chips and he attached a picutre of the car before and after he use the autospa. And it solve the problem.It is DIY.
I am sorry I couldnt find back the thread that he posted on this for reference ( i remember the title he put "stone" chip) but however , I manage to find the link for autospa ( the product itself from my history folder).
here goes

http://www.autospa2u.com/app/

it will prompt you the car model from pull down list ( actually manufaturer list rather than model list) - select bmw and it will show the list of code that will associate to which color of your car.
It also give you location option to find your nearest distibutor.

Hope this info helps

Top Bottom