change engine or overhaul?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

koaygk

Club Guest
hi, i am new to the forum. i just bought a 1989 E34 520M, the owner has not been using the car for quite some time and i bought it over. I have sent the car to the previous owner's mechanic (only do BMW car) and according to him is either i change the whole engine or overhaul the car, then i dont need to worry so much for long distance driving, any advise? if change the engine, what engine should i change? normally how much will it cost? Of course there are some other things need to touch up, the bumper front and rear, interior like door panel, need advise. Thanks

As for the body part, i have the AC ori Bodykit and All the door panel.

Interested call: 012 784 0726 Kelvin

i have a m50b20 engine for parts for e34 520i. so does with the radiator.PM me if you're interested. Good for replacing parts if you intend to overhaul your engine

no point overhaul the m20b20 engine. it will still be underpowered. better change to 2.5 litre bmw engine, atleast..

RB is not fit for E34 body... Pomen told me need some body work in order RB engine fit nicely for E34.

if not mistaken 1jz or 2jz is just nice without touching the body work. just my 2 cents

anything to do with engine replacement or full overhaul (pls overhauling engine, not the whole car) is 10K onwards. No less.

As for "car overhauling", that depends. Pain job alone can set you back few "house repayments". I am yet to learn my lesson, and i know it is going to be hard way.

From personal experience:
Engine replacement (2jz) 13K
Bushes/Steering/absorbers/ links and etc etc etc 3K, tyres and rims 2.5K
Paint job 3K

Other things that i want to do will set me back another 3K.
Unforeseen expenses, add another 3K or so.

and etc etc etc...

morpheus5039;530810 said:
no point overhaul the m20b20 engine. it will still be underpowered. better change to 2.5 litre bmw engine, atleast..

.....or better still 3.0L or 3.5L BMW engine. cheaper than Jap's .:cool:

to overhaul your 2 liter properly wud cost in excess of 7k. just plonk in an M30B35 - about a 5k job, and you'll be smiling each time you floor the fun pedal!

Since it will be your daily drive, m50b25 is more than enough..convert & register it properly, and you wont have any problem to sell it later...

thanks for all the advise, if change engine i will still prefer BMW engine... time to look for the engine. Shall i find the manual or auto transmission?

it depends. if you're eager for power, then get the manual. :D if you're just driving for pleasure and the lazy to change gear type, go for auto. but i still prefer the manual because the power it gives :burnout::burnout:

koaygk;531060 said:
thanks for all the advise, if change engine i will still prefer BMW engine... time to look for the engine. Shall i find the manual or auto transmission?

e34 halfcut ...m50b25 with 5 speed auto box ain't gonna be cheap as it's getting extremely rare to find an m50 with 5 sp autobox ...last one seen and came by the halfcut shop is now gonna undergo conversion in BG motorworks PJ....

Top Bottom