Car sways like a SUV at high speed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DieSel

Club Guest
Folks, I drive a 2 years old E90 with RFTs on 18" wheels. I often do 160 km/h on highways. When I take the highway bends the car feels like floating / swaying rather than sticking to the ground. Mine is also the M sport version. Suspension will be sport type. Please help me resolve this problem. Appreciate it. Cheers

If the tyre pressures are OK all around, better bring it to the service center to check. My car is same age as yours and so far no issues with fast highway corners.

check your tyre pressure and alignment...when's the last time you check the pressures?

Mines steady as a rock even at 248km/hr......better get the alignment checked, Suresh! I hear the best for alignment and balancing is MPS Auto S/B, 1 & 3, Jalan PJS 7/17, Bandar Sunway. Tel: (03) 5634-0939 Ask for owner Manji Lai . will probably cost you about MR180 for the fronts and rears.

Maybe the shocks / spring reaching their end-of-life? Rough condition roads do you often use?

Dear all,

Really appreciate all the responses. Will get my alignment rechecked the soonest.

Cheers.

After proper alignment and if you still want better performance, replace your front & rear anti-roll-bars (ARB) with H&R. Make a google search on H&R ARB for details.

docrayboy;704596 said:
Mines steady as a rock even at 248km/hr......better get the alignment checked, Suresh! I hear the best for alignment and balancing is MPS Auto S/B, 1 & 3, Jalan PJS 7/17, Bandar Sunway. Tel: (03) 5634-0939 Ask for owner Manji Lai . will probably cost you about MR180 for the fronts and rears.

Seriously 248km/hr?

jarence;704889 said:
Seriously 248km/hr?

Yeah we hit that during the BMWCM Kluang Breakfast run 2 years back. With music off and aircond off, and pedal to the floor on a good straight stretch! The 320d is as fast as any other car on the road, except an M3. Enkil was hitting 270km/hr!

Did my alignment and off-wheel balancing at MPS Sunway yesterday. Cost was ~RM170. Fantastic service by Manji Lai. Now my ride sticks like a leech during cornering. No more sways like SUV. Many thanks to all my Gurus for the guidance.

Cheers.

what was the problem diesel? m having similar problem as well but mine happened after changing my RFT to Non RFT.
Too my knowlegde from wat i gather the non rft sidewall is soft unlike RFT which is thicker and therefore corners it stick like a leech....correct me if m wrong here

Eh 325 can max out at 248 km/h? Heheheheehee ... I got no balls to test at that speed la ... maybe see can try on Sepang track day.

tIANcI;730185 said:
Eh 325 can max out at 248 km/h? Heheheheehee ... I got no balls to test at that speed la ... maybe see can try on Sepang track day.

Can also....jayjigbang bro in his E92 325i was doing that too during the Kluang Breakfast Run!

DrD;730102 said:
what was the problem diesel? m having similar problem as well but mine happened after changing my RFT to Non RFT.
Too my knowlegde from wat i gather the non rft sidewall is soft unlike RFT which is thicker and therefore corners it stick like a leech....correct me if m wrong here

Dear DrD,

When was the last you had the alignment checked? My problem vanished completely after replacing the rubbers and getting them aligned. Should not have anything to do with RFT or non-RFT. You're right. The sidewalls are softer in non-RFTs but that should not cause the swaying. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

docrayboy;730229 said:
Can also....jayjigbang bro in his E92 325i was doing that too during the Kluang Breakfast Run!

Dia punya gonads manyak besar la ... kekekeekeke ...

.. when car steady.. you won't feel fast.. have you tried 140kph in a Kancil?! It felt like 300kph in a BMW.. :4:

Top Bottom