Bro Val101's BMW F10 modded with Red Air Scoops

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bimshop Singapore

Club Vendor
Hi guys,We have the pleasure recently of modding Bro Val101's BMW F10 and X6 recently.So here's some of the pics of his F10 modded with our red air scoops for your viewing guys.Hope you guys like it! :)

Usage of air scoops:
Left - Diversion of cool air into engine bay for cooling; ie lower engine bay temp
Right - Diversion of cool air into air intake for more complete combustion; ie better efficiency and FC

for FI Engines, turbocharger is to improve an engine's volumetric efficiency by increasing density of the intake gas (usually air). However, the warmer the intake air the less dense, and the less oxygen available for the combustion event, which reduces volumetric efficiency. for the right air scoop part, it's purpose is properly diverting more cold air into the intake which would be higher in O2, complementing it.

lastly, it can be used for aesthetics to like in the case of Bro Val101 where the red really stands out.

Meaning all stock bmw without this right scoop is taking in warm air for the intake?

The air is hitting the scoop at right angle, does this not create turbulence that disturbs the intake input?

t2ribena;827035 said:
Meaning all stock bmw without this right scoop is taking in warm air for the intake?

The air is hitting the scoop at right angle, does this not create turbulence that disturbs the intake input?

nope, the normal air intakes are not taking in warm air, just less air.
the air intake is located parallel to the car body so air just flows by and some air gets in.
with the scoops, it is helping to better direct air to go in.
the design of the scoops is a straightforward one, not those with cylindrical design so basically airflow is flowing in smoothly without much turbulence.
it would more of a ram-air effect using the scoops.

i think this video may be useful..

[video=youtube;VJozMFoX6i8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJozMFoX6i8[/video]

was considering to install these air scoops a couple of years back and stumbled upon this video..good stuff..

some stage 2 air intakes (like aFe) comes with free air scoops

Great Mod Steven!:top:

Satisfied with your Work and Customer Relation!Thanks for taking out time to explain everything in details to me on both Cars :top:

I am wondering why BMW engineer did not realize the benefit of such scoops and install it as stock assembly as it would be easy for them to get it implemented. This must be something beyond their know-how...

Do you have any data to support the less air before and more air with scoop? i assume with more air into the intake, the power output should be higher right? any dyno data to support this design?

i was asking on the air hitting the scoop and create turbulence because when for example the car is travelling at 120kmh, assuming the air is stagnant, the air would then hit the scoop at a speed of 120kmh at right angle. the air would certainly be reflected back out creating drag...wouldn't this cause less air into the intake...as you go faster the worse it gets...which is diff from ram air effect...

Bimshop Singapore;827072 said:
nope, the normal air intakes are not taking in warm air, just less air.
the air intake is located parallel to the car body so air just flows by and some air gets in.
with the scoops, it is helping to better direct air to go in.
the design of the scoops is a straightforward one, not those with cylindrical design so basically airflow is flowing in smoothly without much turbulence.
it would more of a ram-air effect using the scoops.

currently, we have not done any dyno on it yet.
more air does not equal more power, for us we would assume moderate gains from 0.5 to 1 bhp at most, unlike the 5-10bhp claimed by most sellers.
this is not a new product and actually u can go read up on it from the likes for RPI, AFE, gruppem etc.
for us, since we have not done any test, we prefer not to put any claims to it besides what is logially expected and feedback based on our customers experience.

the design of the scoops it that it is not exactly at flat piece of metal, there are curvatures to it to direct the flow.

just like the same question, why would not bmw engineers think of better coilovers, rims, stiffening etc...i am wondering too.

we have been doing airscoops for a couple of years now, and so far no issue with it based on feedback from our customers.
Perhaps Bro Val101 can help to post his experience after he tried it :)

t2ribena;827102 said:
I am wondering why BMW engineer did not realize the benefit of such scoops and install it as stock assembly as it would be easy for them to get it implemented. This must be something beyond their know-how...

Do you have any data to support the less air before and more air with scoop? i assume with more air into the intake, the power output should be higher right? any dyno data to support this design?

i was asking on the air hitting the scoop and create turbulence because when for example the car is travelling at 120kmh, assuming the air is stagnant, the air would then hit the scoop at a speed of 120kmh at right angle. the air would certainly be reflected back out creating drag...wouldn't this cause less air into the intake...as you go faster the worse it gets...which is diff from ram air effect...

t2ribena;827102 said:

The much debated Rusted Seat on Most of the F30's should be even more easier for BMW to get it resolved which they still not realized!

rattlesnake1982;827116 said:
This calls for a dyno pre and post installation of these air scoops
To end this argument

Lolz Dont worry i'll give Feedback to HSP :top: Thanks Steven for the detailed Explanation which i have read about even before contacting you!

I am surprise that my inquiry and discussion on this scoop has now evolved into why bmw not make better coilover or fixing rusted seat...

Well as the seller claim that this scoop improve engine efficiency and fc, i think it is fair for me to ask and clarify and also makes me wonder why bmw engineer does not implement this scoop when they are pursuing better engine efficiency and fc which would allow them to achieve their goal of reducing polution and at the same time pushing more output...

To liken this discussion to better coilover and fixing rusted seat is irrelevent for a simple fact that better coilover and non-rusted seat does not promote higher vehicle efficiency and fc to the engine...

Anyway, since the discussion has gone south, then i shall let it be...

TQ

t2ribena;827261 said:
I am surprise that my inquiry and discussion on this scoop has now evolved into why bmw not make better coilover or fixing rusted seat...

Well as the seller claim that this scoop improve engine efficiency and fc, i think it is fair for me to ask and clarify and also makes me wonder why bmw engineer does not implement this scoop when they are pursuing better engine efficiency and fc which would allow them to achieve their goal of reducing polution and at the same time pushing more output...

To liken this discussion to better coilover and fixing rusted seat is irrelevent for a simple fact that better coilover and non-rusted seat does not promote higher vehicle efficiency and fc to the engine...

Anyway, since the discussion has gone south, then i shall let it be...

TQ

Hello! No one is talking about Coilovers here nor liking this discussion to better Coilovers :thefinger:, but i just made an example about the Rusted Seat which almost all countries are complaining about on the F30's and BMW haven't still yet 100% resolved it because you stated that why BMW Engineer did not realize the benefit of such Scoops!:motz:

It will be the right Decision for you to let this discussion be :top: otherwise it Might also go far NORTH!!!:motz::motz::motz:

The air scoops can also be installed for some as aesthetic
purpose, not withstanding whether it really improves
the power significantly.
How much the air scoops costs?

Val101;827297 said:
Hello! No one is talking about Coilovers here nor liking this discussion to better Coilovers :thefinger:, but i just made an example about the Rusted Seat which almost all countries are complaining about on the F30's and BMW haven't still yet 100% resolved it because you stated that why BMW Engineer did not realize the benefit of such Scoops!:motz:

It will be the right Decision for you to let this discussion be :top: otherwise it Might also go far NORTH!!!:motz::motz::motz:
Nevertheless your ride looks great bro!

Great mentality...very good for the club forum...

Val101;827297 said:

its nice if a vendor did some real world tests, ie before and after, on the gains. If you claim it as pure aesthethic, then its fine. But if you claim performance gains, then doing a simple dyno before and after would show that you back up your claims, or even just a V-Box run. Yes, a product may have been sold for years and by different co's, but doing a local comparison shows your confidence in the product you sell. In this case, a simple dyno worth $100 would go a long way for a customers who spends thousands/ten's of thousands :)

No offence to vendor, but just my 2 cents as a consumer who likes data along with a pretty product :)

Okay listen, listen, listen ... I was the one assisting BMW in the development of their F10. Originally BMW wanted to add in the air scoops but since I am a natural in marketing I told them not to. This is because if you add it on no one will really care and it's not so profitable since the workmanship cost is so high in Germany etc. so they agreed with my proposal for them to supply this to the after market. That means they can sell the product, make a good margin without any bother about installation la. Makes more sense.

As for the air flow, I was in the wind Tunney to test the scoops. The efflux of the design was carefully calculated by me. It has a 95% flow efficiency, which is amazing, I am so proud it. As for T2 query of stagnant air and Potential deflection etc, well it was overcome using the principles of compressibility ... When the car reaches its top speed, there was some issue as what T2 suspected. What I did was I changed the inlet design, to make it less smooth, this causes compressibility but the beauty of it is that, with compressibility, the air is not forced down the scoops, creating a higher airflow.

So I hope this explanation clear the air about the scoops. TQ

There have been dyno gains between 2whp up to 7whp .. I believe the gains will exponentially rise as the speed increases. There have been much debate about the air scoops and the jury is still out.