Brake upgrade? What options for E36 318i M43?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Russie

Club Guest
Hi guys,My car is due for its service maintenance. Will be sending it in for engine oil change and other relevant change of wear and tear parts. During the previous engine oil change service, the mechanic told me that I will have to change my front disc brake (rotor) and the brake pads (since the pads have worn out and the discs are no longer smooth).The question here is, what are the possible upgrade to the standard brake system for E36 318i? Some would recommend to upgrade to 325's ventilated discs and some would recommend after market products.Any E36 318 M43 gurus out there can comment on this based on their own personal experience and upgrading? Inputs are welcomed.Thanks

325i ventilated disc n caliper wit a set of perfomance pad will be good enough for ur 318:top:

tchdaniel;358093 said:
325i ventilated disc n caliper wit a set of perfomance pad will be good enough for ur 318:top:

Thanks bro for the piece of info. Any idea how much it would cost to set up that? A comparison between setting up 325's Vs 318's would very much help in my budget :)

Thanks

bro, 1 of our member by the nick lenon tan wanted to sell his e36 328i front & rear caliper + rotor for sale you can try p.m him.

Finally, upgraded my E36 318i brake system to that of a E36 325i brake system. Well, reasons for upgrading:-

1) My front brake pads have worn off, only left with approximately 2mm thickness :eek:
2) My standard E36 318i brake rotors (or some called it disc brake) surface are no longer smooth
3) E36 318i rotor is not ventilated as compared to E36 325i

This may be nothing new to most of you guys out there, but it is something new to me so thought of sharing some pictures here. Enjoy...

1) The standard E36 318i rotor with uneven surface
Picture001.jpg

2) Another close-up view of the E36 318i brake rotor
Picture002.jpg

3) My previous front brake pads, Textar... produces a lot of brake dust. Only left with approximately 2mm...scary~
Picture004.jpg

4) Used E36 325i front brake rotors, sourced from chop shop (taken from a half cut car with mileage of approximately 60k+ km)
Picture005.jpg

5) A pair of E36 325i brake rotors
Picture006.jpg

6) The front brake calipers from E36 325i
Picture008.jpg

7) Kalva front brake pads for E36 (made from kevlar materials)
Picture015.jpg

8) The packaging of the Kalva brake pads
Picture018.jpg

9) Finally, got the E36 325i brake set installed (brake rotors were skimmed) into my car with Kalva front brake pads (blue in color)
Picture016.jpg

Cheers

Bro you should have spray painted the middle hub first before installing. Helps a bit with rust :)

loafer;360183 said:
Bro you should have spray painted the middle hub first before installing. Helps a bit with rust :)

I know :) but I guess it's alright too to leave it like that :)

Russie, let us know about this pads performance...

good choice of brakes..

cheers..

pussy;360263 said:
Russie, let us know about this pads performance...

good choice of brakes..

cheers..

Will update you guys on the performance of these brake pads.

Cheers

hmm.. good choice.. i've also upgrade my front brake to 325i front brake. (couple months ago mine is E36 318i M43). So anybody that still looking for 2nd hand E36 318i i still had it inside my store room (offer me the price through pm - as the brake pad and disc brake are bought new from BA / AB can't remember used only for 2 mths - still can show the receipt).

By the way back to topic.. russie how much you bought that brake pad? what certain degree of temp it can with hold?

machinehead;360472 said:
Russie,
How much is the Kalva pads?

If my memory serves me right, its RM195 a pair (front). I think it is (have to check the receipt though)

Degree of heat it can withstand? I am not sure...erh perhaps i can refer back to the packaging :) hehe. But I was told that these pads work well after driving a short distance as it gives more grip when the surfaces are hot. True enough, it is less grippy when u have just started driving off the car but after some time, it grips well (more like performance brake pads?)

chairoger...did you ask why I didnt change those discs? Coz my mechanic said the used ones are still in mint condition, so skimming them would be good enough.

ohhh... rm195... thats pretty good price i would say... care to pm me where you got those pad from? might bought it for next year to change the pad.. :)

wiramod11;361561 said:
ohhh... rm195... thats pretty good price i would say... care to pm me where you got those pad from? might bought it for next year to change the pad.. :)

U've got a PM

Me suggest steel braided hose with proper bleeding. I have a set of Brembo for sale if you are interested. Check out the classified or wheels section. Functional with aesthetic appeal :). Poison time!!

Russie....thanks to u...i now have just changed my E36 318i M43 brakes to the 328i brakes...front and back... :p ... last thursday shipment from Hong Kong came in... then took it off the half cut by the same afternoon..so front and back from the same car. :D :D ... but didnt simply change la ofcos...my rear brakes jammed...so decided to upgrade... the guy gave me together with 328i drive shaft too... hehehehe...

hi all,

i just curious,
if we upgrade the front
is it good to upgrade the rear together also?

because our E36 is almost 50:50 weight balance car,
unlike the nose heavy FF car, they have most of the weight at front,
so they need heavy braking power at front, and little at back

so our well balance car, the power should be the front need slightly more power only?

thanks in advance for all the opinion

sam1741;377280 said:
if we upgrade the front
is it good to upgrade the rear together also?

because our E36 is almost 50:50 weight balance car

When you brake, you shift weight to the front.
During hard braking, front break is doing up to 90% of braking.
Weight distribution is not significant important when you braking.

So, rear upgrade is optional, but not important :)

Top Bottom