Brake Pad

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chong82

Club Guest
Is there any brake pad which wont produce alot of dust due to the brake pad friction?

chong82;507561 said:
Is there any brake pad which wont produce alot of dust due to the brake pad friction?

getting tired of cleaning the rim ? Me too. Try to brake less:eek:

Less brake dust means makan rotor lor. Braking is actually converting the kinetic energy to other forms like heat, etc.

The dust are actually from the pad. Soft pad more dust, hard pad less dust. Hard pad only work optimally when temperature is up, so it will be dangerous in car park after u come out of the cinema.

Opt for less dust pad is in fact, you opt for changing brake disc rotor more frequently without the pad manufacturer telling u so. Its part of the equation. U take something out, you have to put some thing back. What about pad that no need replacement? :D

astroboy;507909 said:
Less brake dust means makan rotor lor. Braking is actually converting the kinetic energy to other forms like heat, etc.

The dust are actually from the pad. Soft pad more dust, hard pad less dust. Hard pad only work optimally when temperature is up, so it will be dangerous in car park after u come out of the cinema.

Opt for less dust pad is in fact, you opt for changing brake disc rotor more frequently without the pad manufacturer telling u so. Its part of the equation. U take something out, you have to put some thing back. What about pad that no need replacement? :D

Thanks for the reply!
Very informative indeed! :top:

Some manufacturers claim low dust because the dust only appear during optimal heat range which is only achievable when u coming down from Genting.. :eek: So you are screwed with limited stopping power when driving in the car park, after coming out from the cinema for a midnight show. :eek:

Usually they call these competition pads, means it can withstand high temperature range... simply because high temperature is their optimal operating heat range.. :eek:

They are many who seek for low dust pads, the manufacturer do take advantage of the situation. I would too.. :p

Here my REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE .....

I've used semi-metallic pads by top class brands like "Axxis" "PBR" & "Repco"

they produced somethinking like 1/4 the dust of the stand organic OEM pads and had much better bite. the theoretical reduction in rotor life was not noticeable and the performance was like night and day.. (fantastic bite, improved feel, greater overall stopping power in BOTH day to day driving and fast road driving - ie the 160-190km/h zone)

to be honest: I initially doubted the manuf claims but after using it for a month I was "converted"

semi-metallic was "cutting edge" a short while back, now the latest is "ceramic-metallic" which is supposed to be even lower dusting, better bitting and lower rotor wear than semi-metallics

... all the above are not just subjective but objectively supposed by coeff-of-friction test at various operating temperatures at different pressures..... thus all things being equal.. it is a FACT that ceramic are superior to semi-metallic which are superior to organics etc

incredibly the cost between ceramic & semi-metallic is neglible (soemthing like Rm10 bucks)... I've just installed PBR ceramics on my e32 and look forward to MUCH cleaner wheels & improved performance...

RottieBoy;510865 said:

they produced somethinking like 1/4 the dust of the stand organic OEM pads and had much better bite. the theoretical reduction in rotor life was not noticeable and the performance was like night and day.. (fantastic bite, improved feel, greater overall stopping power in BOTH day to day driving and fast road driving - ie the 160-190km/h zone)

to be honest: I initially doubted the manuf claims but after using it for a month I was "converted"

semi-metallic was "cutting edge" a short while back, now the latest is "ceramic-metallic" which is supposed to be even lower dusting, better bitting and lower rotor wear than semi-metallics

... all the above are not just subjective but objectively supposed by coeff-of-friction test at various operating temperatures at different pressures..... thus all things being equal.. it is a FACT that ceramic are superior to semi-metallic which are superior to organics etc

incredibly the cost between ceramic & semi-metallic is neglible (soemthing like Rm10 bucks)... I've just installed PBR ceramics on my e32 and look forward to MUCH cleaner wheels & improved performance...

any workshop able to get those ceramic brake pads?

RottieBoy;510865 said:

Rottie, where u bought the brake pad?

mail order from the US!

try vertex auto... google it.

I paid about Rm140pair front 120 for rears

Top Bottom