BMW Z3 and Audi TT...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

EuJax

Club Guest
Hi, hope all is well. I am doing some research on both the model said. Love both of the car's design but had not driven either so far, but had found more info on Z3 then the TT as i do not know sources to Audi cars yet. Over here i'd like to ask fellow Z owners and forummers what is your view point of both the car if compared? Specifically Z3 1.9 and TT 1.8, both bout the same age, BMW is rwd (auto) Audi is fwd (manual). What is the pro and con between the 2? Would really appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks. Also, would love to join you Z boys for tehtarik if any soon. Cheers. Regards

Hi EuJax,

You have yet to conduct the most important bit of your research. TEST DRIVES! :wink:

It's really down to personal preference on those two cars. Depends on which turns you on.

Driving characteristic, Vehicle Design, Exhaust Note, Ride Quality, Topless Driving?, and of course vehicle condition, since year and budget are about the same.

I am trying my best to give an un-bias answer, but if I were you, I'll take the Z3 and run! :top:

Thanks for your opinion...

Hi there,

I know posting this in an all Bimmer forum will stir things towards the Z3 :) No problem bout that. Just thought maybe some of the Z owners here have something to say about their rides as compared to the TT. And what makes you choose the Z3 over the TT? Design? Brand? Driving pleasure? :) Feel free to share everyone.

Regards

I love the TT 2.0 TFSI.. heard its using the VW MKV GTI engine. Cool 200hp for such a light car, the 4WD help keep the car on the road.. :D too bad can't fit my pocket for now...

Hi Astroboy,

Unfortunately i am not eyeing the Mk II :) cant fit my pocket too! Was indicating the Mk I 8N which is 1.8 T, non Quattro. More to a handling and fun rather than just plain speed and power....hmmm...just me.

Regards

Having driven both the older version TT-C and a 1.9 Z3, I can positively give my vote to the TT.

It is not a fair comparison because the TT was a hardtop coupe whilst the Z3 was a soft-top. The comfort, ride and quietness is definitely on the side of the TT.

Power wise again is on the side of TT with a 1.8 tiurbo (148KW) compared to the 1.9 normally aspirated engine (103KW) of the Z3. You will need the 2.5 Z3 to get the same power.

Handling wise again I'll give it to the TT. The TT handling is a lot sharper and the car feels a lot lighter than the Z3. the TT is zippier but it does show that it is FWD vs the Z3 RWD. I don't know if you can get an auto first version TT in Malaysia. The Z3 I tested is an auto.

Inside with the roof off, the Z3 is roomier than the TT but with the roof up, I feel the Z3 is a little more cramped.

I'll go for TT....interior and exterior is much nicer than the Z3....But cant fight wit the Z4 la...lolzzzzz

I am waiting for a MkII to shrink until it fits my pocket, or my pocket to grow until it fits a MKII, which ever comes first....:dong:

Hi Saat,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It sure helps a lot. If the Z3 1.9 comes in manual tranny it would've been much easier choice...hmmm...well but i do agree that at this point, i do think the TT looks better then the Z3, very personal of course. Apart from that, i would also believe the Z3 maintenance would be much lower compare to the TT. Hmmm...interesting cars both of them....

By the way, if anyone have any contacts to TT or Z3 for sale, please do not hesitate to contact me. PM me please. Thanks and cheers.

Regards

I've driven both the TT & the Z3..... which felt short in some ways.
Between the 2, i would say the TT gives much better driving performance. The Z3 has its plus points in that nostalgic roaster feel and has aged better....and would always be remembered as one of the JBond's car.

both also hairdresser's car.. hehhee... TT more gay...

cabuts.

On a more serious note, the TT would have a better interior being an Audi... the Z3 is lazy with the 1.9L M43TUB19 engine... more of a poseur car than anything else.

u want a fun topless car? Go for the MX5 Mk1...

fabianyee;436357 said:

That also another hairdresser's car.. the car is made of gathering opinions from hairdresser and designers, meant for them, targeted at them.. :D

cabutz... :p

I looking for this:
celica01.jpg

So I can make it look like this:
transformers-camaro-bumblebee.jpg

astroboy;436360 said:
That also another hairdresser's car.. the car is made of gathering opinions from hairdresser and designers, meant for them, targeted at them.. :D

cabutz... :p

Well at least it was the hairdresser's car which brought back the popularity of the open top 2 door sports car... It's no wannabe.. hehee

Go test drive a fine sample to experience the different in driving experience..

If you're looking for a more extreme 2 door sports car, can consider the Lotus Elise Mk1..

Again, it's down to why are you looking at this type of car...

fabianyee;436357 said:

cabuts.

On a more serious note, the TT would have a better interior being an Audi... the Z3 is lazy with the 1.9L M43TUB19 engine... more of a poseur car than anything else.

holy kaw...long time did'nt response to any tread....so thot of this topic is kind of related.....

just sharing:...owned and driven all of them...BUT before further, i'm a straight guy and married....design architect by profession...haha.

MX5 Mk1 (last me only 6 months-eventually sold the car to one of our club member...u know who,(lacking of :power, steering too light, JDM so interior quality noisy, door sounds like a tin and PLUS point - low fuel.
Design: quite classy till now.

then, Z3 2.2i 170bhp - last batch-wide body (last me only 8 month),(lacking of :power...still, typically soft top...180kmph-wind sound and PLUS point - low fuel. Design: mmm....sadly James Bond's car is looking a little bit 80's now.

and TT 1.8 Turbo Quattro (Manual 6 gears - 225bhp...can still remap to at least 260/280)- Better all around performance: Power + Handling + Design + 1.8 so road tax cheap!! and last but not least TT family/club in UK and US are big and strong so a lot tuning parts to play with....

summarize:
All are flashy cars...which fall under the category of...guys on the 'B" side- want to drive sports coupe but yet still can't afford of the real mean machine like....'Porsche' etc.

Hi Ramoura, thanks for sharing ur experience. Are u still driving the TT now?

Regards

Personally driven the TT Quattro, really like the feel and handling. Ample power with a above par built quality.

Hi Fabian, you are very right. It all depends what we want from the car. For me, its more the feel of driving and of course the car design. Not sure if TT is gay car but both does have its feminine side, even the Z4 or the latest TT Mk II. But like Ramoura say, what to do when we cant afford to get a Porsche or Ferrari which is much more macho car.... :p LOL...just kidding!

Anyway its just matter of personal preference sometimes. At the end, i might just settle with a e30 cabrio! But right now the 'feel' is leaning towards the TT...hmm...now is to look for the right one...not easy to come by though. Need to test drive one of those and see if i still feel the same after that. And its gotta be manual...:)

Regards

Top Bottom