BMW E90 consume engine oil / water

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dickytan20000

Club Guest
I have bought my BMW E90 (CBU) in late 2005 .And after 9 months of driving the car ,one day the BC has indicated that my water level is below the normal level that its suppose to be ......... is any one have the same problem ..................?and after 12 months of driving ,i have check the BC again and come across that the system indicated that my engine old level has drop to 3/4 ..................is any one check your BC regularly ................ Please Check

Its been discussed before.

Just about all engines consume oil during break in. There is also oil consumption during running. We often don't notice it as we bring our cars in for regular ie. shorter interval scheduled maintenance. With the E90's condition based maintenance and full synthetic fluids, the scheduled maintenance interval is stretch far, far apart exasperating the normal consumption of fluids.

FYi it is good practice to check fluids and air pressure regularly.

Is yours 320i or 325i ? What's your mileage ?

Anyway, it's normal for the engine oil to drop and consume higher oil during the first 15,000 km. As for the water level.... your case is abnormal. You need to check it ASAP.

David Yong said:
Is yours 320i or 325i ? What's your mileage ?

Anyway, it's normal for the engine oil to drop and consume higher oil during the first 15,000 km. As for the water level.... your case is abnormal. You need to check it ASAP.

The coolant level does drop off eventhough its a close loop design. I topped mine off about 2-3 months back. Distilled water should suffice.

In most car manuals (including that for my E46), it is stated that a maximum
of 1 liter per 1000km is an acceptable level of oil consumption.

On the day of delivery the Engine Over Heat Sensor came on when i was testing it for the last time..... somemore already register.... paid for already!!!! Imagine my shock....

wglee said:
In most car manuals (including that for my E46), it is stated that a maximum
of 1 liter per 1000km is an acceptable level of oil consumption.
bro, do u mean 10,000 or 1000, if every 1000 consume 1 litre of engine oil, i think something very wrong with the car lar

Mouse said:
bro, do u mean 10,000 or 1000, if every 1000 consume 1 litre of engine oil, i think something very wrong with the car lar

I meant 1000km. That's the maximum permissible oil consumption. See your car's owner's manual; it's there.

recommended Oil change is between 5,000 to 10,000 KM.

4 potter - need about 4 litres of oil for every oil change
6 potter - need about 6 litres of oil for every oil change

If the engine consumed about 1 litres for every 1000 km, that means a 4 potter engine would be dry before you go for an oilchange.. This is not logical...

jarance said:
recommended Oil change is between 5,000 to 10,000 KM.

4 potter - need about 4 litres of oil for every oil change
6 potter - need about 6 litres of oil for every oil change

If the engine consumed about 1 litres for every 1000 km, that means a 4 potter engine would be dry before you go for an oilchange.. This is not logical...

1 litre per 1000km is worst case scenario. Anyway, the info is in the owner's manual - do verify it for yourself.

The same info was also found in my Alfa 156 and VW Beetle manuals.

Top Bottom