BMW Buying Advice Needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bluefire

Club Guest
Hi! I have always liked the BMW 318i (box). I believe the last model came out in 1991. I never could afford one and I was a bit cautious on the maintenance cost of BMW's in general.Anyway, while searching and taking my time, I came across a 2 door 320i 1987, which I have really started to like. It is being offered to me for about RM 16,000.00. I could slash it down to RM 14,000.00 on a as is where is basis. At RM 16,000.00 the dealer would do up the car.I appreciate any advice on the pricing of this model as well any thing I need to be aware of. I am concerned about the running costs of this model. For now, the engine seems to be OK and the body panel is appears to be OK. Should I go for this or should I continue to search for the 4 door 318i?All opinions are welcome. My present car is a Perdana and I am getting a bit tired of it.Thanks and please do advice.Bluefire.

get a E30 M40B18i..with stick. If you think you can handle more..!! then, drop in the M50B25.

:D If u crtly on Perdana, i think running cost is not an issue for u...most important thing not rush to make a decision......always get 2 opinion...check the car...if possible, get the car for inspection at mech....for E30, be careful of the rust problem......Good luck

Thanks for the input.

This is a 320i manual 2 door.

Any recommendations for a good mechanic who can inspect the car? The car is in the Glenmarie area.

Also I notice that the engine needs to be dragged at each gear shift for the power to come in. Is this normal?

Regards,
Bluefire

Originally posted by bluefire@May 29 2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the input.

This is a 320i manual 2 door.

Any recommendations for a good mechanic who can inspect the car? The car is in the Glenmarie area.

Also I notice that the engine needs to be dragged at each gear shift for the power to come in. Is this normal?

Regards,
Bluefire

needs to be drag..?? then it must be the diff.

Originally posted by bluefire@May 29 2005, 10:56 AM
Hi! I have always liked the BMW 318i (box). I believe the last model came out in 1991. I never could afford one and I was a bit cautious on the maintenance cost of BMW's in general.

Anyway, while searching and taking my time, I came across a 2 door 320i 1987, which I have really started to like. It is being offered to me for about RM 16,000.00. I could slash it down to RM 14,000.00 on a as is where is basis. At RM 16,000.00 the dealer would do up the car.

I appreciate any advice on the pricing of this model as well any thing I need to be aware of. I am concerned about the running costs of this model. For now, the engine seems to be OK and the body panel is appears to be OK. Should I go for this or should I continue to search for the 4 door 318i?

All opinions are welcome. My present car is a Perdana and I am getting a bit tired of it.

Thanks and please do advice.

Bluefire.
it has been discussed many a times that e30's are prone to rust is not cared for properly by the last owner. Check the wheel arches, fenders, undercarriage throughly for signs of rust.

Hi! Thanks for the response. Apparently the drag is caused due to a modified exhaust. That's what the dealer is saying but he told me that he will change it back to the original to show me the difference.

I have checked the body panels. Suprisingly doesn't show any rust! It has been repainted with 2 K paint and I think they might have treated the rust. The frnt floorboards have been replaced, probably due to rust.

Now the spare part question. I am guessing I would not face any major problems. My intention is to restore it.

Thanks a lot for the response.

Bluefire

if most of the major work has been done - like rust. then i guess its alright.
but when u buy it, its hard not to spent money on it though!
are you planning on selling your perdana or keeping it?

Welcum bro bluefire...one thing that I learnt from buying my car is... check to c if the car is level when viewed from the front and da back... one of the common problems...if not sure, measure from the top of the tyre to the bottom of the lip.

mine was not even... good thing for me is that it was due to the different sized absober used...some times can be due to springs or worse is bad accident... al da best :eek:k:

Originally posted by Fuhrer@May 31 2005, 12:04 AM
if most of the major work has been done - like rust. then i guess its alright.
but when u buy it, its hard not to spent money on it though!
are you planning on selling your perdana or keeping it?
Hi! Fuhrer,

The Perdana is being sold. I am going to be using the 320 from now.

Bluefire

Looks like you need the Fantastic Four in the E30 world to save you .....1) Kevster (Mr Fantastic) 2) Fabianyee (Human Torch) 3) Pussy (Invisible Woman - that is why she appears to be a man when you meet her at TT) 4) Zoggee (The Thing). You will Marvel at what they can put together for you. :yahoo:

Hi! All who have helped.

Yes, I have plonked down some money and yet I wonder if I am making the right decision.

Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think.

Hi! Here is a picture of the back of this BMW. I am taking the rims off and fixing the original ones. The exhaust is going too.

What do you think?

Bluefire

the rims definately HAVE to go..haha..
welcome to the e30 world mate! not many have traded up from 'luxury' saloons to such an old beast...i'm sure your friends n family members must think you've gone nuts!
i know a lot of my friends thought i went nuts down grading from an e36 to an e30..
i doubt your e30 will continue to look that way after the guru's rule over your heart & wallet!

I know this dealer in Glenmarie...a lot of cosmetics involved.Beware!

It's an awesome beast...but in a very standard condition.
& RM16k is not a song.....

Think u should look around 4 a M40 318i stick! Even the early ones from
'88 are going for RM16k oredi!

Regards B)

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@May 31 2005, 11:06 AM
Looks like you need the Fantastic Four in the E30 world to save you .....1) Kevster (Mr Fantastic) 2) Fabianyee (Human Torch) 3) Pussy (Invisible Woman - that is why she appears to be a man when you meet her at TT) 4) Zoggee (The Thing). You will Marvel at what they can put together for you. :yahoo:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: WJ, bro you're killing me man.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by Fuhrer@May 31 2005, 11:56 AM

welcome to the e30 world mate! not many have traded up from 'luxury' saloons to such an old beast...i'm sure your friends n family members must think you've gone nuts!
i know a lot of my friends thought i went nuts down grading from an e36 to an e30..
old beast... hahahah.. i luv it mate!!! heheh n all the while mine was the old lady.. hahahaha... cheers fuhrer!!!

Top Bottom