BMW Brake lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
Has anyone noticed that BMW brake lights are in a different position compared to other cars. I noticed that other makes have their brake lights at the outer most edge. Whereas BMW have it in the innermost. Anyone knows why this is so?

Sorry bro :)

If you look at the lights at the back of the car. the outermost is the one that is nearest the edges of the car. Does that make more sense? Most cars I see have the brake light in this position. in BMW cars, this is occupied by the fog lights (according to my E36 Manual)

I think crusher means these:

[ ][X] BMW520 [X][ ] = BMW brake lights.

[X][ ] OTHER [ ][X] = other car brake lights.

[X] brake light location.

don't want the brake light to outshine the turn indicator or vice-versa?

bmw engineer think forward than other maker. another example is the slot to close your trunk in e36. you place your palm upwards and grab the slot, and pull it down so it wont hurt your hand, unlike Myvi, u place your hand downwards and straight away 'cucuk' the slot, and when closing the trunk, your fingers will be bent backwards... ouchhhh:33::help:

I wonder why it is not a regulation that all lights should be in a specific position. For example, lets say I am driving on highway and car following close to me behind. If the day is getting dark and I turn on my head lights. Then my fog light (No.5 ) also comes on rite? The fella in the car following me might think I suddenly brake and he might take evasive measures or brake himself. There could be unpleasant consequences. Any thoughts?

Since there was a third brake light on the car so i think it wont be any problem.

well perhaps it's just more of an identity for bmw to have their brake lights like tht... like merc does with their turn indicator on the wing mirror which none of the german brands does this. Audi with the day time led running light in the headlamp itself. and bmw with the corona rings and perhaps this brake light placement, and also the hofmeister kink

the kink

hofmeister-history.jpg

crusher;659674 said:
I wonder why it is not a regulation that all lights should be in a specific position. For example, lets say I am driving on highway and car following close to me behind. If the day is getting dark and I turn on my head lights. Then my fog light (No.5 ) also comes on rite? The fella in the car following me might think I suddenly brake and he might take evasive measures or brake himself. There could be unpleasant consequences. Any thoughts?

Your fog lights should only be turned on when there's fog or heavy rain. Not supposed to be turned on all the time.

aidilj;659711 said:

Copy paste from Wikipedia:

The Hofmeister kink (sometimes also translated Hofmeister kick, German: Hofmeister-Knick) is an automobile design feature seen on modern BMWs. It is a low forward bend in the C-pillar of the car, which is the piece of metal that separates the rear side windows from the rear glass. The kink formally debuted on the 1961 BMW 1500 at the 1961 Frankfurt Motor Show and was later named after then-BMW director of design, Wilhelm Hofmeister. In early models, the widened base of the C-pillar was sometimes adorned with the BMW roundel.

Apart from its pleasing effect, the Hofmeister kink is said by BMW to subtly highlight the fact that all BMW models have rear-wheel drive (or all-wheel drive biased to the rear).
Note that this design feature is not unique to BMW models. Similar C-pillar kinks have appeared on cars of other brands both before 1961 and since. For example, the 1951 Kaiser Deluxe Golden Dragon shows a considerable "Hofmeister kink" in its greenhouse design. However, the term "Hofmeister kink" is only used in reference to BMW automobiles, as it has become a distinctive styling cue used across all BMW model series.

foggies are foggies.they have separate switches.make sure they are off if not used,particularly the rear ones.we do not need those in Malaysia as they are very glaring.

haywire;659722 said:
Your fog lights should only be turned on when there's fog or heavy rain. Not supposed to be turned on all the time.

I usually switch mine on most of the time during night driving or in the rain. But mine isn't as blinding as those I've seen on let's say, the Saga BLM. Imagine that these guys have the nerve to drive at night using fogs only... :stupid:

Eggie86;659795 said:
I usually switch mine on most of the time during night driving or in the rain. But mine isn't as blinding as those I've seen on let's say, the Saga BLM. Imagine that these guys have the nerve to drive at night using fogs only... :stupid:
they're talking about rear foggies i suppose heheheh

Top Bottom