BMW 318ci M43B19 engine swap to M54B22

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW318CI

Dear all,

I have a 2001 318ci E46 that as been serving well since then. I am aware the M43 is a gutless engine and does not worth my money to perform upgrades. The best option for bigger power would be swapping in a straight 6 engine. My engine of choice would be M54B22, which most of the specs i can find is imported from Japan as half cut. I intended to swap M54B22 engine + ZF auto gearbox together.

My concern is will the process is close to plug and play or still needed minor modification to the chassis?

Appreciate any bright minds to shed some lights.

Thanks

Hi Bro ..

what u need is a half cut complete and a mechanic who is familiar with it , On the chassis there is nothing to be worried and thats the benefit of getting a complete half cut you can also upgrade the brakes and suspension as 4line and 6line does not share the same.

on the other hand is , since you opted for m54 , go for m54b25 bro , i assume the reason you are gonna do so its because of power then 2.2 may not feel that much of an upgrade , try test drive both and decide.

Anyway enjoy your journey bro.. conversion is fun :rock:

Nope. its not plug and play, and not as straight forward. Reason, you have to change almost everything (engine, gb, shaft, diff, wiring looms etc etc.....) and its not a cheap affair. also you need to find a mech who can put everything together.

all the best!!

Another option is to sell off the 318CI and get a 330CI. Less headache & may be cheaper way to go. Higher annual road tax but definitely much more enjoyable ride.

I too was toying about that when I had my 318ci. Really better of selling and buying an original one. Transplant may be a lot of headache.

Dear All,

Appreciate all the replies, many times ppl told me to sell it off and get another 330CI, and i would humbly turn that off because i want to make this BMW my project car. Since its' the lowest spec to begin with, a lot of things to can be played with. The reason i chose M54B22 is because its the limit for engine transplant in order to get endorse by JPJ. And yes i would buy a complete half cut including gearbox and the long shaft. This is a major project so just want to learn more before i proceed. Other forummers from UK and Aussie said that it is no big issue for them in their country to do so and its fairly easy for them to do it their own. But in MY land, i have to rely on mechanics to do so. Anyway the car has only clocked 130k kms after 15 years on the road. Now will work on suspension parts and slowly on the brakes.

Since you have already decided, then make sure your mech knows what he's doing. almost all mechs know how to tear the car apart, but putting it back is a different thing. hope u found the right guy (errrr.......i dont mean in a gayish manner LOL) Its gonna be an exciting project for u for sure. Best if you can share the journey here, to document the transformation......

again, all the best bro!

gendong said:
Since you have already decided, then make sure your mech knows what he's doing. almost all mechs know how to tear the car apart, but putting it back is a different thing. hope u found the right guy (errrr.......i dont mean in a gayish manner LOL) Its gonna be an exciting project for u for sure. Best if you can share the journey here, to document the transformation......

again, all the best bro!

Sure thing, i ad have a 4 pots refurbished brake caliper in hand, looking for people who can custom made the bracket to hold it to the chassis. Hope they know how to get around the stupid brake pad sensors.

Dear All,

I am reviving this thread because i have failed to locate a M54B22 (2.2 litre) engine for my coupe. I have decided to take it further by looking to transplant M54B25 instead. Just need some information regarding this conversion, should i get JPJ's approval before conversion or after the conversion?

Thanks,

Ken

BMW318CI said:
Dear All,

I am reviving this thread because i have failed to locate a M54B22 (2.2 litre) engine for my coupe. I have decided to take it further by looking to transplant M54B25 instead. Just need some information regarding this conversion, should i get JPJ's approval before conversion or after the conversion?

Thanks,

Ken
I think it is better you can get a Japanese CKD. It will be a straight "salin".

zidee said:
I think it is better you can get a Japanese CKD. It will be a straight "salin".
Hi Zidee,

You meant getting a JDM E46 halfcut? Can you explain what's straight salin exactly? Straight swap with lesser fabrication?

BMW318CI said:
Hi Zidee,

You meant getting a JDM E46 halfcut? Can you explain what's straight salin exactly? Straight swap with lesser fabrication?
PM sent

There's no end to power quest bro. Some of us swear by M43.. 8 valves single cam bullet proof engine, lightweight, car more balanced and definitely not losing out in power-to-weight ratio. Less electronic problem. Easy and cheap to maintain.

Many of us has witnessed the 6-cylinder siblings having difficulty to cope up with a stock M43 in our club organized drives.

astroboy said:
There's no end to power quest bro. Some of us swear by M43.. 8 valves single cam bullet proof engine, lightweight, car more balanced and definitely not losing out in power-to-weight ratio. Less electronic problem. Easy and cheap to maintain.

Many of us has witnessed the 6-cylinder siblings having difficulty to cope up with a stock M43 in our club organized drives.
I respect every BMW engines, however, the M43 is soooooo gutless when rev over 4k, my GF overtook my UDM in my 2008 Lancer like i wasn't moving fast enough. FYI the Lancer is quite a gutless car below 4k but revs so much better after 4k when in the Mivec zone. I think may need fix the faulty fuel pump in my UDM and see whether it improves.

Herbert said:
It wasn't the difficulties.....it was the M43 driver with balls of steel.

I second that, by nature the 6 cylinders M54 engine should outperform the M43 in everyway. No pun intended, it really take balls of steels to outrun higher powered E46 in an E46 with M43. Unless the M43 is boosted, which i haven't seen one in MY or even on the internet.

BMW318CI said:
Dear All,

Thanks,

Ken

I saw two ad for the 2.2 in mudah.my

http://www.mudah.my/Bmw+e46+hufcut+2+2-44305322.htm

http://www.mudah.my/Bmw+e46+engine+2+2+2+5-44268401.htm

-------------------

but 1.9 to 2.5 ? u need to check with the JPJ runner first bro. approval only can be obtained after the conversion done

you can only upgrade to 2.2 due to jpj only able you to upgrade from your current capacity plus 30%

Which lancer are you talking about?
If you want to outrun a slightly modified lancer GTE, stock M54B22 is not fast enough.
Don't ask how I know T^T.

if you 1.9 engine is up for sale, do tell me.
would like to keep it as spare, if possible..

Top Bottom