Best Tyre Pressure

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jason.lim

Club Guest
sifu, E60 525i - front 245/35/19, rear 275/30/19. what is the best tyre pressure setting? thanks

nope bro, the default profile was 18'..previous owner upgraded to 19' with wider profile

tyre pressure are in PSI - pound per square inch. therefore to achieve same "hardness", size doesnt matter much-if you are an ordinary average joe driver. however, if you are fussy like i am... then .. please consider below..

1. in a balance car like 3 series, you really want to have four patches of rubber having the same grip, thus same contact surface area. More pressure less contact patch. i believe you will have a staggered combi?? then you need to have different pressure. i will however, to simplifiy things, go with 2.4bar for all to start with.

2. if you can handle the harshness of the tires, then good. otherwise reduce 1 psi everytime and try it out till you are ok with it. shouldnt be much +- from 2.4.

3. now again this is very dependent on how u drive. at balance pressure and wider tires at the back, you should be facing understeer for your car. 90% people dun even feel this. if you are one of those, then dun bother. if you do, increase teh presure 1 psi at a time till you feel the car is neutral to your driving. it should be around +4 to +5 psi from 2.4 bar. it can be different for your case. do take into consideration most driver prefer understeer than oversteer.

4. with all that said, most average joe will say.. heck with it.. just go 2.4 bar in front.. 2.6 bar behind.

end of the day, the first 3 steps is really the basic of settign up tyre pressure for track and can be too much work for daily drive.

Based on the sticker on the pillar, it is 230kPa front (tyre size 245/35/19) & 280kPa rear (tyre size 275/30/19)

Best?

For comfort?
For handling?
For dry weather?
For wet weather?
For fuel economy?
For pick up?
For extended tyre wear?

Bear in mind that some will have inverse relationships..

I actually manage to achieve all, but at different times.. so what I did was inflate till 34psi/36psi on my non-staggered 17/45/225 and use until left about 28psi.. that's months without refilling.. :4:

astroboy.like that aahh,thanks.mine is 323i and i put 230 front and 250 rear.every two weeks visit the pump and normally the pressure lost 15 psi.

15psi loss after 2 weeks means you have a small leak. could be the valve.

Top Bottom