Battery Life

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

beemerx

Club Guest
Dear sifus,What is the expected battery lifespan on our E90? 2 years? 3 years?And is there any warning signs that the battery is dying before it actually dies?Thank you.

It's recommended 5 years.. can't remember by who. Scary also ya.. dunno when it will die on you.. mine is 37 months liao.. and counting.. :(

When it dies, door won't open. Pull the key out from the fob and use it to open trunk to replace battery. Make sure replace with battery N90 or above. Then need to register battery at OBC or not le? Anyone?

my e39 530i still have its original battery that came with it when new. its year 2003 and is still strong, no electrical problem yet whatsoever.

forgot to say it spent the first 6 years of its life in scotland where theres not so much heat compared to here

haywire;597732 said:
my e39 530i still have its original battery that came with it when new. its year 2003 and is still strong, no electrical problem yet whatsoever.

Yours cold weather ma! Ini cuaca manyak teruk.. orang pun mati oi! :4: Now since ship in d, the life must be accelerating liao.. anytime kong.. haha!

Your's jenis battery ape?

astroboy;597729 said:
It's recommended 5 years.. can't remember by who. Scary also ya.. dunno when it will die on you.. mine is 37 months liao.. and counting.. :(

When it dies, door won't open. Pull the key out from the fob and use it to open trunk to replace battery. Make sure replace with battery N90 or above. Then need to register battery at OBC or not le? Anyone?

5 years ar?? Can last that long??

I heard that the N90 battery cost about $1k... is that true? Furthermore, the battery cannot be unplugged like a normal car battery and it requires professionals to do it... true also?

Apparently 5yrs is more likely for E46 (less electronics) and for E90 especially the LCI ones, it should be less due to the more electrical ancillariy requirements in the car such as comfort access, idrive, etc etc...

M3ac;597785 said:
Apparently 5yrs is more likely for E46 (less electronics) and for E90 especially the LCI ones, it should be less due to the more electrical ancillariy requirements in the car such as comfort access, idrive, etc etc...

Mine's pre-LCI 320i SE without iDrive or comfort access... :cool:

beemerx;597789 said:
Mine's pre-LCI 320i SE without iDrive or comfort access... :cool:

Mine too.. no under door light, no footwell light, no DRL, kns! vanity mirror and light also don't have!! :14:

Hmmm...despite the lack of goodies/specs, the bright side is.....your batt life probably lasts so much longer than the E90 LCI folks. Less bulbs, modules, electronics, fuses, etc to change. Bottomline, you can save money for your batt, longer lifespan....good on you mate :) (We always look on the positive side of things ya :))

astroboy;597797 said:
Mine too.. no under door light, no footwell light, no DRL, kns! vanity mirror and light also don't have!! :14:

errr.......headlights go or not...........cabutz........:burnout:

astroboy;597797 said:

Ehhh... I think mine has some of the stuff you just mentioned Astroboy... so the under door handle lights, footwell light are categorized as comfort access is it? If that is the case, then yes :wink: I even have lights on both vanity mirrors :rolleyes:

And DRL... there's an option to set it in the OBC. But mine is a 320i SE... should it come with all that?

beemerx;598211 said:
Ehhh... I think mine has some of the stuff you just mentioned Astroboy... so the under door handle lights, footwell light are categorized as comfort access is it? If that is the case, then yes :wink: I even have lights on both vanity mirrors :rolleyes:

And DRL... there's an option to set it in the OBC. But mine is a 320i SE... should it come with all that?

Mine no front PDC, no electric rear blind, even the side mirror only do hand flips.. no motorised flips, no rear reading lights.. I think mine is 320i BLM, Base Line Model.. :4: Less electronic gremlins guaranteed! :top:

Confirm no DRL, only welcum light.. :lollypop:

astroboy;598214 said:
Mine no front PDC, no electric rear blind, even the side mirror only do hand flips.. no motorised flips, no rear reading lights.. I think mine is 320i BLM, Base Line Model.. :4: Less electronic gremlins guaranteed! :top:

Hmmm... I guess those stuff I just mentioned come in the SE (Special Edition) models... which I believe now it's standard on all the LCI models.

Which means my battery will have a much shorter lifespan compared to yours Astroboy.. not good.. not good

beemerx;598223 said:
Hmmm... I guess those stuff I just mentioned come in the SE (Special Edition) models... which I believe now it's standard on all the LCI models.

Which means my battery will have a much shorter lifespan compared to yours Astroboy.. not good.. not good

i believe SE in BMW talk means Special Equipment/Standard Equipment not Special Edition

beemerx;598211 said:

If memory serves me correctly, the lights under the door handles are classified as Exterior Lights Package with vicinity lighting integrated in door handles and exit lights at front door. So I guess SE version comes with it. I believe you should also have rain sensor with automatic driving lights right? Xenon headlights for both low and high beam as well....

astroboy;598214 said:

Ya, less electronic functions, better battery lifespan :p

M3ac;598253 said:
If memory serves me correctly, the lights under the door handles are classified as Exterior Lights Package with vicinity lighting integrated in door handles and exit lights at front door. So I guess SE version comes with it. I believe you should also have rain sensor with automatic driving lights right? Xenon headlights for both low and high beam as well....

You're right M3ac.... my SE comes with rain sensor & xenon headlights for both low & high beams... it retailed back in 2008 at the same price as the current M-sport version... I think.

One question... does the auto dimming rear view mirror consume battery power as well?

Top Bottom