Bangle's Perspectives on the New 3

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

KL2DC

Club Guest
Ok guys, some educational reading material, enjoy! :D "Chris Bangle's reign as BMW's top designer is over. But, as he tells Nargess Shahmanesh-Banks, the aesthetic revolution has just begun. . .Perhaps the 3-series is a result of this latter-phase thinking. Many were a little disappointed that BMW's most popular car didn't go through a proper aesthetic revolution when it was reborn. Bangle explains that had he launched the car "without any brothers or sisters" the result would have shocked us all, but as it turns out we are less shockable post 1-, 5-, 6- and 7-series. "The 3-series is an icon and with all icons you have to be a little bit careful not to stray off," he adds.Bangle believes that the car should be a socially conscious object, "if we do our jobs right," he notes. The car, after all, is one if not the most "democratic" object around and perhaps the most alive. "Just to follow your metaphor of life," he continues, "what makes the car alive is for it to be responsive, animate. Does it react, have its own opinion, does it communicate, does it move you? There has to be more of a message than 'I'm beautiful, I'm powerful, I'm sexy'. There has to be an intellectual side to it, a responsibility side.""Regarding the 335i:"...BMW tries to ensure that its engines are as light and economical as possible, hence the new six-cylinder bi-turbo petrol engine with an all-aluminium crankcase unveiled at Geneva. "The idea that we can remain dynamic, exciting and sporting, and not be abusive to the environment is the way these messages should be moved."" http://motoring.independent.co.uk/features/article1220770.ece

helloo have u all registered for AD...its just 2 weeks away

Chris Bangle's cousin ,Francis Bangalee the Security guard will be there...

interesting read, read his quotes few times but i'm still struggling to understand his message. i guess i was never born to be a world class car designer...:(

Chris Bangle seems to attract the media like the honey pot. But who was the man who preceded bangle at BMW? He was one of those quiet achievers who was rarely in the spotlight. A quietly determined man, he has avoided the glamour and glitz of the international sporlight, prefering instead to let his designs do the talking for him. And for that reason, I admire Claus Luthe. His legacy at BMW has been the successful blending of form, functionality and elegance into every BMW designed on his watch. The only comment Luthe would make about Bangle's BMW was, 'I believe he will develop a new BMW design philosophy that will be quite different from mine. Whether it will as good for BMW we will have to wait and see.' You gained the impression that he was almost afraid that all the years of cleverly establishing that styling continuity so important in BMW's aura were in jeopardy.

Extracted from BMW car magazine. June 2006 by Gavin Farmer.

Top Bottom