AXLE Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sewell

Club Guest
can i know what type of oil for our UDM axle oil? how long we have to change for the oil?

Redline produces decent rear diff oils, both for open and lsd diffs. Can't remember the price though but it's not expensive. You'll need about 1.5l for 3 series.

You can opt to go for ori BMW rear diff oil but I don't know the price for open diff one. BMW does have special LSD oil for their LSD rear diff but it's very expensive. Comes in 500ml bottles @ RM144 each.

my fren told me that..can use normal gear oil for axle...if i'm not mistaken la..

I intend to use Royal Purple MAxgear, 75W90, about Rm70/quart. this can be used in manual gearboxes too, example my old iswara manual.
Redline 75W90 is about Rm60/quart.

i m looking for the royal purple dealer in kl, used to be Autochild, now no more..the best so far..

do you who else ?

sewell;530402 said:
can i know what type of oil for our UDM axle oil? how long we have to change for the oil?

Is it an open rear diff or Limited Slip Differential (LSD)?

If it's an open diff, most gear oils are fine. Just get a 4 liter bottle of castrol gear oil and it will be just fine. My E34 has been running on that for 4 years without any problems.

If it's a LSD unit, then you would have to use one that is formulated with additional anti friction modifiers. Red Line is pretty good, heard TORCO is even better and as Loafer mentioned, BMW also has its own LSD oil and it's freaking expensive!

Cheers

sewell;530402 said:

me too would like to know the interval of changing the axle oil...

do we really need to change the axle oil? i've asked, mechanic says no...unless there's leak...

king82;531868 said:
do we really need to change the axle oil? i've asked, mechanic says no...unless there's leak...

Well, I haven't change mine on the E34 for years. But since it's not expensive, might as well do it once every 2 years? :wink:

Crymson;531863 said:
How to know if you have LSD on your ride?

On the little aluminium plate that indicates your differential ratio, say 3.25 or 3.64, if there is a 'S' prior to the number, that indicates its a LSD unit.

The other way is to turn one of the wheel and see how the other wheel reacts, if it turn in the same direction, then that also means it's a LSD unit.

Cheers

ALBundy;531870 said:
Well, I haven't change mine on the E34 for years. But since it's not expensive, might as well do it once every 2 years? :wink:

i think mine hasn't been changed for 16 years...the original axle oil is supposed to be a high quality oil? i'll check with mechanic again later =) thanks

pussy;531806 said:
i m looking for the royal purple dealer in kl, used to be Autochild, now no more..the best so far..

do you who else ?

Wanna get from me, or join me in ordering? I usually order RP 10W40 for engine oil by the box (12 quarts) and RP 75W90 for axle.

There's also the alphabet S stamped on the rear diff. You might need to remove all the dust and whatnot that's baked into the rear diff to see it. The easiest way is the aluminum plating which states the ratio as mentioned by albundy.

Top Bottom