autobahn or race track in Malaysia

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mkmenon

Club Guest
Just got an E39 2 months ago. Am itching to see what it can really do and find out its top speed first hand. I have done 175 kph on the new Guthrie highway which is wide and relatively unused. But am wary of going faster. Is there a place where one can LEGALLY test run a car at top speed? I remember a long time ago someone saying that it could be done in the old Batu Tiga race tracks. Does Sepang F1 allow private cars in for testing?Mohan

don't think u can test top speed in Sepang.... maybe can do it 'on the way' there....

Yeah. Unless you're driving an F1 car, SIC track is not about top speed. It's more about handling and control. But I've been in a Lotus hitting 200kmh on the straights in front of the pit lanes when he stepped on the brakes at the 50m mark and then drifted round the corner. Gosh! :blink:

Now got mega sale for paying samans, maybe you should take advantage of it on the highway. Your E39 (assuming if it's either a 523, 525 or 528) should have no problem touching at least 230kmh. :nyehehe:

the best place to test top end is the New Eastcoast Speedway... er, Expressway.

straight as an arrow from karak all the way to kuantan. at worse there are some slight sweepers but nothing u cant handle im sure. plenty of room to stretch ur UDM's legs. :)

redd

Originally posted by Redd@Sep 25 2005, 07:34 PM
the best place to test top end is the New Eastcoast Speedway... er, Expressway.

straight as an arrow from karak all the way to kuantan. at worse there are some slight sweepers but nothing u cant handle im sure. plenty of room to stretch ur UDM's legs. :)

redd
Make sure u have a proper rear spoiler for this highway....heard the crosswinds are bad, and I saw a car wrecked with no corners in sight!

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Sep 25 2005, 08:24 AM
Make sure u have a proper rear spoiler for this highway....heard the crosswinds are bad, and I saw a car wrecked with no corners in sight!
haha.. someone previously swore that spoilers, suspension, widebody, tyres etc doesnt play ANY part in high speed stability.. just tighten steering rack.. and voila!! if only things are that easy.. :D

anyways, pls make sure u have ur lights, even your highbeam on when trying for your record run.. the least u can do to warn others.. drive safe man!!

Originally posted by adliz@Sep 25 2005, 09:53 PM
haha.. someone previously swore that spoilers, suspension, widebody, tyres etc doesnt play ANY part in high speed stability.. just tighten steering rack.. and voila!! if only things are that easy.. :D
Of course the rear spoiler must have been tested in a windtunnel like original ACS or M spoiler, otherwise your Sunway spoiler may create lift instead of downforce!

Mohan,

I have a E39 and I must say it is a great car! Normally, going from Ipoh to KL, I try to maintain around 200 or so, depending on traffic. If I am lucky, I can touch 230, at which time my 523 starts to feel underpowered... (ok people, don't get sanctimonious and start with the speeding issue again... flame suit on :p )

Don't just try the E39 on straights tho, with the steptronic, it is a blast to drive on twisties as well, just remember to change your transmission oil (I know it says lifetime oil, but I change it).

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Gerald.

Ah ha. Good choice for a car. I call this the playstation 2 (PS2) car as all you have to do is to keep your foot flat ont he throttle and turn the wheel to steer just like how you play GT3 on the PS2.

The gearing you have on your car (assuming that it's either a 523i, 525i, 528i or 530i), you will only be able to clock anywhere between 230km/h to 235 km/h max. The only difference between the cars is the speed which you get there and also the speed where the steam runs off and speed start to build up at a slower pace. My old baby used to blast all the way to top without hesitation, only the gearing limits it from going faster.

Be a bit careful with the stock setup on our roads as it ain't no autobahn smooth and correctly banked. To compound the problem, the E39 masks speed so well that you don't realise how fast you are actually blasting until the unthinkable happens. Becareful with the E39, it's less safe than you think it is.

The best way to drive your auto is to leave it in auto mode and use the kickdown switch with a quick firm stab to overtake or "just for kicks". Steptronic is way too slow to be effective. I did a demo run from KL to Ipoh with a forumer sometime back with the car in full auto and boy, was that fun :). I think he lived to tell.

If you are doing a straight line combat, just stab on the pedal and let the autobox do the tricks otherwise you will find yourself left behind when the ECU deciphers your steptronic inputs. Approaching a sweeper and want a bit more torque to power through (a) if you want to go for it all the way, just kickdown and blast through. I demo-ed this to a forumer on entering a sweeper at 200KM/H and exiting at 230KM/H enroute Bkt Jelutong>Subang toll on that short 100m sweeper (B) not so extreme then push the lever to sports and it will automatically drop a gear for more traction and enough powerband to capatilise on to pull you throgh the sweeper fast.

If you want to drive fast, do up your suspension and brakes. Can advise if you need help :)

I do miss my PS2 but thank god for the alternative drugs but the PS2 will spoit you and make your balls smaller when you switch to an alternative drive as you will come to realise how much the PS2 hides speed and the "real deal" so it takes a while to realign your senses when you switch to a much raw-er machine as it is no longer just stab the pedal and point.

don't listen too much to WJ, he's a nutter.. hehehhehe... the wife is a speed freak too - complained that his 'beefed-up' E39 is underpowered... :blink:

Cabutzzz

Originally posted by fabianyee@Sep 26 2005, 12:42 AM
don't listen too much to WJ, he's a nutter.. hehehhehe... the wife is a speed freak too - complained that his 'beefed-up' E39 is underpowered... :blink:

Cabutzzz
Oi! Correct wat. (1) I told him to drive safely as the E39 masks speed. (2) Use the auto, forget about the steptronic (too slow so it is dangerous for approaching corners fast) (3) Drive fast? Have to mod suspension to cope and brakes to stop ma....

But I am NUTS :yahoo:

aiyoo... :( here we go again.!! B) just maintain ur car stock. and drive carefully la.. B)

Dear Forumers,

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts. I enjoyed reading all of it as I am new to BMWs in general and to the E39 in particular. There is so much I am still discovering about the car.

Mine is an 525i (2003 model) since several of you were wondering which enging capacity I had.

When I hit 175kph, i felt a kind of resistance. Since I did not push it further, I don't know how much further it could have gone. Do some of you sense this resistance at that point. I am sure a kick down or steptronic shift would have got it into a new level.

On another occasion, I effortlessly did 170 on a hill with several passengers. This tells me it sure can do a lot more.

Anyways, am holding back on my 200+ experiments until I have changed to new tires. Don't know the history of the tires from the previous owner.

Looking forward to more E39 discussions...

Best,

mohan

180 KM/H is pretty normal speed to feel the acceleration slowing down for smaller blocks. If you have a 2.8l, it should pull to about 200 KM/H before slowing down to its top speed of about 235KM/H.

Hi WJ,

Thanks for your interesting advice. And also for your offer to help. Shall keep that in mind.

Best

Mohan

Originally posted by fabianyee@Sep 25 2005, 06:44 PM
don't think u can test top speed in Sepang.... maybe can do it 'on the way' there....
HI, i too tried(on Guthries Highway) my 323i which is the same engine..200kph is no problem. the car just wants to go but no balls lah!!

i have a gruppe m type ram air charger and it has made a lot of difference..the car feels more torquey...

on the way back makan a V40 Volvo turbo easily at 170kph

regards

thx Fabian. By "torquey," do you mean more power at lower speeds or higher, or both. Also what did the air charger cost you?

regards

And this is what 235 ++ km looks like....
Not too clear as it gets a bit bumpy!

wah lau... you ppl are really speed demons. I for sure will not have the balls to reach that kind of speed :beaten:

Top Bottom