Auto folding side mirror repair

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

azeL_Inc

Club Guest
Just wondering, is there any shop that does autofold side mirror repair as mine seems to be stucked. I dont think motor got problem coz I can hear sound, seems like gear got stucked. I m not replacing it as fold features is just a 'cool feature' to me, not worth rm1k though (assuming price is more about rm1.3k I bought b4)If anyone know any shop, kindly let me know! (tried to open it myself, but the screws are too much for me to handle :p)Sent from my Dell Streak

urs is m3 side mirror or original...

if m3 vers, it is most likely is the sensor.....

if ur side mirror unable to fold, try force it to move slighly upwards/fold it halfway see whether if u press fold the side mirror if ok will fold completely...if it does, most likely is the motor position sensor...

if unable to fold down, does the same thing but the opposite way.

Hope this works for you. if it is sensor problem, try to find an reliable acessory shop to adjust it for you.ez fix but hard to take out ..hahha

mine is not ori..it s M6 replica, the one with little bit oval in shape (long) n with LED.
actually before it totally cant fold, it did fold, but like fold with very high friction, it got stucked a bit...meaning hardly able to fold up...
then, i cant stand seeing it stucked, i tried giving it a little help by "pushing" it while it folds. Guess that make it totally unfoldable then! haha.

anyway, it only happened to one side, & used to be problematic when folding up..folding down is smooth. but now, it cant totally fold at all... when press the switch, it gives the sound like gear grinding on another 'not-moving' gear. and i dont think it can move at all, even with force. sigh*

agreed with you. i tried taking out the mirror. pull out the door panel etc. then i cant get the screw to be opened. i meant i managed to get the mirror off the car, but cant open the mirror. the screw head got loose in one screwdriver turn. crappy quality.

bad...ahahah...sounds like ur motor gear is out...it is not ez to take out the mirror....it require alot patient and sweat...mine is m3 type...so far ok,just the sensor making the problem so far...hope u fix urs...

eujinee;637260 said:
bad...ahahah...sounds like ur motor gear is out...it is not ez to take out the mirror....it require alot patient and sweat...mine is m3 type...so far ok,just the sensor making the problem so far...hope u fix urs...

will only try to send for repair if it doesnt cost much. Else, I ll leave it as it is..can live without a foldable mirror tho. Haha

Sent from my Dell Streak

Not sure about your mirror, for my e46, here is how it done.

MirrorDetach.jpg

DetachMirror.jpg

Insulateheater.jpg

Compare.jpg

azeL_Inc;637287 said:
will only try to send for repair if it doesnt cost much. Else, I ll leave it as it is..can live without a foldable mirror tho. Haha

Sent from my Dell Streak

haha..i cant live without my foldable...i find it very cool wen park and mirror fold upwards..hahaha.....

shldnt cost much...

Jarance bro,

his 1 is M6 type with LED....slightly harder to yang the mirror out..and the motor is covered inside the plastic...

haaa! this is exact;y what i need to know.. how do you pull out the mirror (i mean the glass part) i tried pulling that out, but stopped once feel like breaking it. i m afraid that if i pull it out, it will be out forever. hahaha

anyway, yeah..agreed...kinda cool, n make it easily noticeable..hehe..but for 1k, i m fine with my can 'un-noticeable' i guess....loll (unless the mirror somehow got broken, definitely would buy the same 1 again)

Got the same problem. Original m3 side mirrors, motor running but not moving. Wet to this shop and quote me 5k to replace and say it's unfixable. Screw him and I just leave it. If it's just a minor problem then it worth to repair.

thanx Jarance! will try it tmr...now is alrdy dark...cant afford to drive mirrorless later in case break it.haha

sigh... just had some one of the mirrors not folding up..
after some help then it now works fine....

Mine have the same problem on the left side... but mine is folding upwards...

After opening found out the plastic gear was broken... so there goes my folding mirror... :(

trying to get replacement gear from potong shop... cause mine is replica i think so buying new one just out of the question...

It sound as if stuck cause the spring inside cant look in to the "teeth" of the plastic gear ...

xcrave;638392 said:
Mine have the same problem on the left side... but mine is folding upwards...

After opening found out the plastic gear was broken... so there goes my folding mirror... :(

trying to get replacement gear from potong shop... cause mine is replica i think so buying new one just out of the question...

It sound as if stuck cause the spring inside cant look in to the "teeth" of the plastic gear ...

sound almost like my prob..maybe same case...any way we can DIY to repair the gear? haha

Hmmmm still looking for ways or DIY Guide...

BTW !!!WARNING!!! Before attempting to open the gear inside the M5 Replica, PLEASE BE INFORMED: There is a large spring with a very strong counter pressure i spent almost 2 hours just to PRESS+SCREW the thing... and there is so much grease that its very slippery to hold (not that i dislike excess of lubricating substance ;P) but just be super careful... and have lots of patience and cold ones just to be on the safe side.

Inside there is a magnetic gear (Rotation Device) that turns the spring and other item that i do not have specialty to repair :(

But seem like the mechanism turns the mirror using the spring i presume... it looks like this inside...

mirror.jpg

I miss this so much....

[video=youtube;-sDSkp42les]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDSkp42les[/video]

haha...thx..but seems impossible to me..not very good in drilling things...yeah...only not good at 'things'
i dont think i ll go along that route, anyway let us know the results!

good lucK!

will bw doing it soon i guess too busy these few weeks... for now let it sit there and dont fold :)

hahaha.....me intermittent got problem folding up..left and right side...will gv a try wen its stop working again.....thanks for the info thread

eujinee;638908 said:
hahaha.....me intermittent got problem folding up..left and right side...will gv a try wen its stop working again.....thanks for the info thread

Looks easy but i dont think it will :p

Top Bottom