Auto-dimming rearview mirror

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
use the red clown nose for manual dimming.....
the air cond vent on the roof, bukan the red down light ke?
donno, mine got sun-roof, so may not be the same....

LOL ... i thought it was d aircond vent too ... but actually that is the motion sensor ... red clown as was describe in my earlier post

oooo.. thanks guys. must go and twist that red clown nose soon....

Jarance, you just flick the gearshift to the left. it will stick to the nearest gear (if u are on 5, it will drop a gear). Then shift up to downshift or down to upshift. It will auto up/downshift when you reach certain revs.

affan,

see if you can remove the wirings and see if you can trace the color codes
the thing about bmw is that alot of upgrades are ready, you even use the e38 larger rear auto dim provided the wirings harness is compatible, even my classic e30 can retrofit the auto dim mirror....cool feature eh?

btw, just give unker J a few weeks, and i'm sure he will be able to figure an upgrade for ya!

affan66;375484 said:
Folks,

I just realised that my E46 rearview mirror is different than my E39.
On the E39, there are two light sensors, one at the back and one small dot on the glass itself. These sensors detect the light level and dims the glare.

On the E46, I found there is only one sensor, which is on the back of the rearview mirror, meaning it faces the front of the car.

I was told by a mechanic that it still auto-dims but it is based on how much light is coming from the front. This is wierd.

Fellow E46ers or those who used to have one, is this the only rearview mirror type available on the E46?

Thanks in advance.

the rear sensor was used to dimming the mirror, the front light sensor was used to dimming
the front head light??, i guess???

try to cover the front sensor with black tape, see what happen ???
maybe it will maintain the headlight brightness ???

watch-out, some other rear view mirror was built in with DWA remote control module..,
if it was built in; make sure you had the remote control for it.
if not..., remove it immediately:top:

teejay;376000 said:
affan,

see if you can remove the wirings and see if you can trace the color codes
the thing about bmw is that alot of upgrades are ready, you even use the e38 larger rear auto dim provided the wirings harness is compatible, even my classic e30 can retrofit the auto dim mirror....cool feature eh?

btw, just give unker J a few weeks, and i'm sure he will be able to figure an upgrade for ya!

TJ, You are too kind... :listen:

jarance;376137 said:
TJ, You are too kind... :listen:

Unker J,

I'm merely stating the fact, its very well known that there is no one as competant and as knowledgeable as you when it comes to electronics on the bimmer, even my experience cannot compare to yours....your guruness....:top:

TQ TQ :29: :18:

Now back to topic..

Does other model have a wider viewing angle and auto dimmer function..

affan66;375696 said:
that dimple is on the glass or behind the glass(meaning on the plastic cover)?
I only have the sensor behind the glass.

I have 2 sensors too. One on the plastic cover and the "dimple" on the mirror itself. What year is your E46?

^^^ the sensor behind the glass which is on the plastic cover is the rain sensor ...

affan66;375996 said:
oooo.. thanks guys. must go and twist that red clown nose soon....

Jarance, you just flick the gearshift to the left. it will stick to the nearest gear (if u are on 5, it will drop a gear). Then shift up to downshift or down to upshift. It will auto up/downshift when you reach certain revs.

Yup.. after you shift the gear stick to the left, it will indicate S and D. It will also remain at the last known
gear position. Yes, when you push up, it will shift one gear down and indicator will show "M5 -> M4" and vice-versa..

It will also automatically shift down for you when you slow down and you "forget" to shift down. Cool feature.. :top:

alxy;376522 said:
I have 2 sensors too. One on the plastic cover and the "dimple" on the mirror itself. What year is your E46?

Have a closer check last Sunday and found there are actually 2 sensors.

One is located just under the mirror (centre top) and the other is located on the back of the mirror casing. Apparently, the dimmer compared the front intensity and rear intensity in order to adjust the dimmer.
That means daytime, the dimmer do not dim even though somebody have its high beam on.

There is another sensor on the windscreen which is part of the mirror support. I presume that it the auto rain sensor. :rolleyes:

this is my version and thanks to Jarance for the tip:

The red dome light can be turned (3 levels). It works similar to the flick switch in normal rearview mirrors.
I also have a sensor behind the rearview mirror. That dims the mirror when there is bright light from the front of the car.

jarance;377320 said:
Have a closer check last Sunday and found there are actually 2 sensors.

One is located just under the mirror (centre top) and the other is located on the back of the mirror casing. Apparently, the dimmer compared the front intensity and rear intensity in order to adjust the dimmer.
That means daytime, the dimmer do not dim even though somebody have its high beam on.

There is another sensor on the windscreen which is part of the mirror support. I presume that it the auto rain sensor. :rolleyes:
U could take a pc of cardboard & coverup d area behind rear-view mirror. Then, take a torch lite & shine @ rear view mirror. If there is no glare, it works.

good idea. for the time being, i'm fine with the turning of the switch mode.

affan can post a pic of your mirror for comparison? I dont think mine have the switch mode.

will take photos soon. The switch is actually the red dome. You just twist or turn it. This works for the version without the sensor on the glass itself.

jarance;377454 said:
affan can post a pic of your mirror for comparison? I dont think mine have the switch mode.

if you can't twist d red nose thingy then you have d auto dim ... you can only twist it if you don't have an auto dim lah ... :D

B33mEr;377528 said:
if you can't twist d red nose thingy then you have d auto dim ... you can only twist it if you don't have an auto dim lah ... :D

It is so obvious.. isn't it? LOL

Top Bottom