Auto-dimming rearview mirror

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

affan66

Founding Member
Folks, I just realised that my E46 rearview mirror is different than my E39.On the E39, there are two light sensors, one at the back and one small dot on the glass itself. These sensors detect the light level and dims the glare. On the E46, I found there is only one sensor, which is on the back of the rearview mirror, meaning it faces the front of the car. I was told by a mechanic that it still auto-dims but it is based on how much light is coming from the front. This is wierd. Fellow E46ers or those who used to have one, is this the only rearview mirror type available on the E46? Thanks in advance.

Why are you so concerned? Is it not working good enough for you? The BMW engineers have put a lot of man-hours behind their design and there's a reason for every detail so better leave it alone.

my concern is that is there a different type of rearview mirror available just like my E39?

As you know, BMWs on the road have different specs. The older version use the flick switch. My E39 comes with two sensors. I am puzzled why my E46 has a single sensor. I find that when there is bright light from behind, the rearview doesn't dim as good as the one on my E39. That is when I noticed that my E46 rearview mirror had no rear light sensor.

By the way, thanks for your response.

affan66;375587 said:
my concern is that is there a different type of rearview mirror available just like my E39?

As you know, BMWs on the road have different specs. The older version use the flick switch. My E39 comes with two sensors. I am puzzled why my E46 has a single sensor. I find that when there is bright light from behind, the rearview doesn't dim as good as the one on my E39. That is when I noticed that my E46 rearview mirror had no rear light sensor.

By the way, thanks for your response.

5's and 3's is a different class , don't make comparison.

wei abg Jyazid ..that's why I'm asking those who drive the E46. Am I the odd one out or this is common. If common, takpe.

there is a small black dimple on top of the rear view mirror it self .... that is the sensor for d auto dim

that dimple is on the glass or behind the glass(meaning on the plastic cover)?
I only have the sensor behind the glass.

I find that the rear screen is a bit small and may decide to have the clip on wide range type.

However, just found that there is NO flip switch like olden type.
I think mine have 2 sensor. i.e on the mirror if I am not mistaken.. will check it tonight..

affan66;375705 said:
thanks Jarance. Appreciate it.

Oiitt.. leave your wife car alone.. :wink:

Ha..ha.. Once you drive a 3 series before.. it very hard to resist.. :listen:

I am concerned la because without a decent auto dimming from rear lights, night driving sucks.

auto dim mirror

affan66;375708 said:
I am concerned la because without a decent auto dimming from rear lights, night driving sucks.

Hi Affan,

My e46 also doesn't have it. Not sure why. but my e36 local model has the auto dim function. it has small round thingy on the glass itself. it's true that while driving at night, it distracted my eyes from the lights of vehicles behind. not sure can retrofit ke taklah...

If anyone is interested on getting for a autodimming rear view mirror. I have 2 pieces from a e46m3 for sale at S$600. These are oval shape and has a red clown nose indicator on the buttom of the mirror. Pm or sms+65 90056444 if you have questions or like to see some pictures.

If anyone wants to get a autodimming e46m3 oval shape rear view mirror, pm or sms 90056444. I have a pieces for sale at S$600

ovalshaped ones are for M3 but can be retrofitted to the E46. The red clown nose indicator is used for the alarm and motion sensor, if installed.

affan66;375718 said:
ovalshaped ones are for M3 but can be retrofitted to the E46. The red clown nose indicator is used for the alarm and motion sensor, if installed.
Thanks for clearing that up.

just confirmed that there is only one sensor. The sensor is located on the top centre of the mirror.

jarance, is that the alarm sensor?
On mine, behind the mirror, there is a recess with a sensor on it. On the glass itself, there is no round hole, indicating there is no sensor.

Did some research on realoem.net, for the E46, there are a number of versions with various combos as follows:
1. Auto dip (called electrochromatic)
2. Rain sensor
3. Toll gate sensor (for Japanese toll systems)
4. Integrated remote controller (for opening autogates and garage doors)
5. Radio sensor (I believe for alarm remote)
6. Motion sensor (the red dome on the mirror)
7. Headlight sensor

Not sure lah.. today just got the car.. still learning and getting use to it..

Many buttons on the steering wheel and still dont know what they are for..

BTW, the gearbox got semi autoshift drive and when shift the the left side, you can manually shift the gear up and down. What happen when you are on "Drive" and you decide to go on "semi auto", would the gearshift know that you are on "fifth" gear and would shift from the last know position.

Look like have to read the owner maual.

affan66;375729 said:
jarance, is that the alarm sensor?
On mine, behind the mirror, there is a recess with a sensor on it. On the glass itself, there is no round hole, indicating there is no sensor.

Did some research on realoem.net, for the E46, there are a number of versions with various combos as follows:
1. Auto dip (called electrochromatic)
2. Rain sensor
3. Toll gate sensor (for Japanese toll systems)
4. Integrated remote controller (for opening autogates and garage doors)
5. Radio sensor (I believe for alarm remote)
6. Motion sensor (the red dome on the mirror)
7. Headlight sensor

It's on the glass itself as what Jarance describe ... as for the red clown nose there is a small led that when activate the alarm it will just blink to indicate that the alarm is active and if i'm not mistaken you can adjust the dimming manually by twisting the red nose thingy. Motion sensor is on the center of the roof in the car ... looks like an aircond vent actually hehehe ...

Top Bottom