ATF Cooler

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Crymson

Club Guest
I've read somewhere in the forum about some members installing ATF oil cooler. Is the ATF Oil Cooler already fitted on the E36 as standard or were they fitted post-97 models? If they are not fitted as standard, how much and where can it be fitted? I found on realoem.com the following ATF cooler. Is it the same?
181.png

Hi,
the ATF cooler is standard for post 96 model . It is a standard for m43, m50TU & m52 engine.

Which year is yr car and what model?

Crymson;288077 said:
I've read somewhere in the forum about some members installing ATF oil cooler. Is the ATF Oil Cooler already fitted on the E36 as standard or were they fitted post-97 models? If they are not fitted as standard, how much and where can it be fitted?

I found on realoem.com the following ATF cooler. Is it the same?

181.png

johnhiggin;288193 said:
Hi,
the ATF cooler is standard for post 96 model . It is a standard for m43, m50TU & m52 engine.

Which year is yr car and what model?

Thanks for the reply.

My car is year '97 M52B28. I guess it's already there.

The ATF cooler is mounted on your radiator.
It has 2 pipes, 1 in and 1 out from your transmission.

planta

That wan is just an aluminum hose only nia, going to the front of the radiator and u-turn pusing balik.. I think what Crymson referred to is the one like an oil cooler. (I may be wrong..)

Like this one,

ATF%20Cooler%20(high%20res).jpg

astroboy;289269 said:
That wan is just an aluminum hose only nia, going to the front of the radiator and u-turn pusing balik.. I think what Crymson referred to is the one like an oil cooler. (I may be wrong..)

Refer to the picture of M50 325 engine. See that 2 pipes connected to a cooler. That cooler is mounted on the radiator facing the bumber so that the wind blows between the fins to cool the ATF. When we remove the engine, if we do not want to drain out the ATF, we do not dettach neither the cooler nor the hoses.

planta

10E36325.jpg

Wokay... cool... :D Now Crymson know what to look for behind his bumper.. :D

Good job planta :top:

I have installed a 2nd ATF cooler in series with the existing unit located just in front of the radiator ( need to remove the black plactic cover to see it ). it does make the gear chance smoother during traffic jam in a hot day. It is more than 6 month since I install it and so far so good.
I got my 2nd ATF cooler from Lionel for RM250 as he already converted his ride to a manual. it does not get damage easily unless the car has got into a front accident that also damages the radiator.
The location just next to the existing ATF cooler has a perfect slot for the 2nd one which also makes me wonder if BMW designed it to house the 2nd unit for "hot climate" market is those in the middle east. I believe M'sia is hot climate market too. The 2nd ATF cooler just drop into the slot and the existing hose connect from the first one to the 2nd one and back to the auto transmission gearbox. an extra 0.5 to 1L is needed for the extra ATF cooler.
Anyway, before I install it, I did got the green light from my mechanic to do it.

Good luck.

PS: the pictures that I have are taken by my H/P. if anyone can shgow me how to load large picture on to the forum for ez viewing, I will post them up. Cheers.:rock:

sorry that I have forgotten about the ATF cooler thing. Lee36328 beautiful picture of the radiator reminder me. The vertically mounted smaller radiator is the ATF cooler and you can add another similar unit next to it and connect them in series.
DSC_0454e.jpg

Top Bottom